FT Versa Wing Build

Jimmyp

FT Versa Wing Finished Product.

This is my second Versa Wing. I had so much fun with the first one that when it finally got too beat up I took off the electronics and invested $3 of foam board and $2 of tape and made this new one. I tried to get all of the stuff inside but the 2200 battery didn't fit. I put on hood scoops to pump air through and cool the ESC. It should work fine.

Attachments

• Bottom View.jpg
    Bottom View.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • Top View.jpg
    Top View.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
  • Top View Close up.jpg
    Top View Close up.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Flynn

Nice job! I know what you mean about the 2200 not fitting. I just use a new piece of packing tape each time. The last flight I had was in some high winds and I brought it down for a landing and skipped it off the ground and ejected the battery! Flew about 20 feet! I lmao! Nothing wrong with the wing. Its a tank.

Flat4

Clean looking build, nicely done. I ended up building an extended cockpit off the front of mine because I didn't like how the 2200 fit. I also needed to get the battery a bit more forward to get the cg just right.

Jimmyp

Clean looking build, nicely done. I ended up building an extended cockpit off the front of mine because I didn't like how the 2200 fit. I also needed to get the battery a bit more forward to get the cg just right.

With the GoPro installed the CG is actually a little bit nose heavy. With out the GoPro it is a bit the other way. So if flying without the camera a 2C 500mah battery will fit nicely in the gopro box.

checker

100_4428.JPG

Here is a picture of my first wing I use two 1300's in parallel giving me a 2600mah that fits nicely down the wing edges. My version 2 wing I made the battery doors on the bottom.
.0001 v2.jpg .001 version 2.jpg
and I put this nice 2 litre bottle canopy on it :cool: Also you can see my main power connector for quick easy on/off that can also be used as a charge port without removing the batteries.

Last edited:

N222NY

Jimmyp,

Thats a really cool design with the spoon naca ducting. Looks like itll work well to keep the esc cool. Of course, now thats its SNOWING here, maybe ill need insulation! Ahhhhhhh! Water. WATER! Where's my minwax?!?!?!

Shawn

Flat4

With the GoPro installed the CG is actually a little bit nose heavy. With out the GoPro it is a bit the other way. So if flying without the camera a 2C 500mah battery will fit nicely in the gopro box.

Yea I figured as much with your setup there, not a proud owner of a gopro yet so I didn't have that option. I am however making a wing up with led strips on the inside for a bit of night flying, since the sun is going down so fast nowadays. I'll be powering the lights with a seperate 3C 500mah battery, so I'll most likely end up with something similar to your setup. I just love the way these wings fly, can't wait to get a decent fpv setup for one.

Flynn

Yea I figured as much with your setup there, not a proud owner of a gopro yet so I didn't have that option. I am however making a wing up with led strips on the inside for a bit of night flying, since the sun is going down so fast nowadays. I'll be powering the lights with a seperate 3C 500mah battery, so I'll most likely end up with something similar to your setup. I just love the way these wings fly, can't wait to get a decent fpv setup for one.

That's exactly what I did! I used a remote switch to turn it on and off in flight.

wing.JPG

Love that battery and the bottle idea Checker.

Last edited:

Flat4

So say if I were to take all my NEG leads from each of my light strips and solder them into the NEG side of an XT60 connector along with the negative lead from that switch, then repeat the same for my POS leads. From there I should be able to just plug my battery into the XT60 connector I just made on that switch? And obviously plug the servo connector into the desired channel on my Rx

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
There is no ground coming off the switch. It interrupts the positive (+) feed so it needs to be connected between the battery and the lights or whatever accessory you are controlling...

Check out this schematic for some clarity...I hope.
907097217X46219X9.jpg

Flat4

No need your explanation makes perfect sense, just didn't think of it that way at first. Lots simpler than I first thought, will have to grab one for sure when it's back in stock, thanks!

Flynn

Thanks xuzme, I was doing something in paintshop, now I'm on vacation, sorry I didn't get back to you Flat.

cdraptor

I Love this versa wing - it is amazing and can take quite a beating. After doing a speed build and now working on a few scratch builds, I am so comfortable flying this guy because I am so not bothered by crashing it. Anyway here is my battery hatch with some velcro, which also adds a bit of padding below the battery on the landing.

VersaWingBatteryHatchclosed.jpg

hbc865

FT#2
Turnigy D2826/6 2200KV Prop- 6.4 , HP-2200mAh 20c , Turnigy-RedBrick 30amp ESC, Nose= deadweight-79grams total(no battery)
IMAG0190.jpg IMAG0191.jpg IMAG0192.jpg IMAG0196.jpg IMAG0197.jpg IMAG0198.jpg IMAG0199.jpg IMAG0195.jpg

Last edited: