FT Versa Wing Speed Build Kit

Flyingtacos

Sorry if this is a weird question but is the FT Versa Wing Speed Build Kit okay for a beginner like me? I have some electronics from my very first plane that I crashed so I have very limited flight experience with planes and no building experience at all but the electronics are perfect for the Versa. Any comments, suggestions, recommendations, etc. is much appreciated! Thanks!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
If you build it as a tractor (power pod version, not the pusher version) and keep the speed down, the Versa can be a pretty docile and forgiving air frame. As a first build, it will be pretty easy. The only non-standard part on that build is sanding the wing joints, but that is pretty easy if you follow the build video. I say go for it.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Okay, thanks! I think I'll go ahead and buy one. Is there any specific motor as a beginner I should use?

I thought you said you had a motor and electronics from a crashed plane that you were using?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I would recommend using a large amount of expo and possibly reducing the control deflections on a slow rate setting until you are fully comfortable with flying it and then go for broke!

CG position is not as flexible on a wing as it is on a conventional model so ensure you get the CG right and you should have a nice flyer!

Have fun!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
C-Pack motor would be fine. Run it on a 3S and don't fly wide open throttle to keep your speed down. I still highly recommend building it with the power pod in the tractor (puller) configuration when you are starting out. You can move to the pusher latter, or build a ne one as a pusher and move the electronics over to it when you get comfortable with it.

benjavitamin

Benjavitamin
I've built like ten versa wings (I do lots of slope soaring in the mountains... )
Awesome plane, fast build! However, if you do go with this model, definitely go with Sponz's advice on the puller config.
And it was already mentioned above, but the CG is definitely more sensitive on a delta wing. +1 to the guy who suggested really dialing down your dual rates and adding expo.

If you arent super comfortable flying yet, I'd honestly recommend a different model.
Pick one with some dihedral like the simple cub. I think you'll have a much more stable experience!
I picked the Versa Wing as my second build, and I crashed the heck out of it.

Just my two cents! Good luck friend!