FT VersaCopter - Race Quad Build

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
versabuild-1-png_1443026922.jpg

We want to thank you for your purchace of the FT VersaCopter! We hope this frame will grow with your interests in the hobby, wether it be racing, AP, or just fun flying. Today, Josh will show you how to assemble the race quad setup. Keep a look out for more setup videos featuring different addons in the future.

versabuild-4-png_1443027020.jpg

For this build, the electronics we will be using are from our Power Pack E. If you are using a different electronics setup, the build process is exactly the same.

versabuild-6-png_1443029140.jpg

The Delrin body gives space and functionality to grip carbon fiber booms, however, you can follow this build video and simply sandwich square dowels between the VersaCopter plates if you don't want to use carbon fiber.
Check out the instructional video below and have fun!

SUPPLEMENTAL VIDEOS

LINKS

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I've got one... I love it... I want another!

Mine is one of the early releases before the internal frame was available. It's using the standard wood booms, and the GR18 all in one receiver. (this receiver is amazing, too bad they make it out of unobtanium!)

versacopter.jpg

Jahnkeanater

280 size?

The store clams that this is a 280mm size quad but that works out to be 11" diagonal considering it comes with 10" arms 254mm. This thing has to be at least 360mm diagonal. I would be willing to bet that this is probably actually a 380mm size quad. And under no circumstances will this ever be a 250 size quad 6.7"x6.7".

"This frame can be configured to 250 to 500+ sized multirotor depending on your build and goals."

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Don't say never. You could move the arms in from the front and/or back of the plates, so they overhang. Which would allow you to greatly modify the diameter. You could make an X frame from the center if you wished.

I think there's going to be some very creative geometrics based off this design.

Fred

Jahnkeanater

Size

Don't say never. You could move the arms in from the front and/or back of the plates, so they overhang. Which would allow you to greatly modify the diameter. You could make an X frame from the center if you wished.

I think there's going to be some very creative geometrics based off this design.

Fred

The kit comes with 10" carbon fiber booms though. I doubt people are going to cut the carbon fiber arms.
Am I correct in assuming the main plates are 11" long?

mnishat

i am new and want to buy this complete kit reciever transmitter power pack battery and controller, what do you recomend, i saw mot things avalable on test flight site, but the batteries only 2 cell, i am thinking these are too small?? can any one help me out here

arbinshire

Got mine yesterday. Finished it this morning.

Armed it and everything went well. Hit the throttle at which point it then went screaming up in a forward direction, continuing unabated far, far out of sight ignoring all further inputs. Here's hoping I find it.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
i am new and want to buy this complete kit reciever transmitter power pack battery and controller, what do you recomend, i saw mot things avalable on test flight site, but the batteries only 2 cell, i am thinking these are too small?? can any one help me out here

Check out the link below. Based on CraftyDan's advice I purchased a Turnigy 3S 2200mah 45~90c from HobbyKing. Still waiting for all the parts for my Versacopter build to come in...so I cant yet give an opinion on the battery.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...PV-Quad-Noob-Questions!&highlight=Versacopter

adsthebads

This looks superb. I'm currently flying a F450 and want to transfer my electronics on to the versacopter frame. It says upto 550 size when will longer booms arrive to accomodate 9inch props and will a naza lite fit inside this frame?

hugocraft

When is the "Power Pack E" package going to come with oneshot already on them? I know in the video Josh said once old stock is out then the new would have it so curious of an ETA. I know he also said there would a video showing how change the firmware in the future so old stock could be changed.

Spastickitten

Sadly, I don't know when, but if it comes down to it, just buy now, wait for the video, then update them. It will make it easier to manage throttle if it reacts slower I'd think.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
This looks superb. I'm currently flying a F450 and want to transfer my electronics on to the versacopter frame. It says upto 550 size when will longer booms arrive to accomodate 9inch props and will a naza lite fit inside this frame?

I'd just use the square dowels you get from Lowes or Home Depot.

In order for the frame to work with the round CF booms, they'll need to kit out a different pattern for the Delrin inserts I think.

If you want, you could just order 4 of the spare booms and configure them for the larger set up.

Fred

adsthebads

I'd just use the square dowels you get from Lowes or Home Depot.

In order for the frame to work with the round CF booms, they'll need to kit out a different pattern for the Delrin inserts I think.

If you want, you could just order 4 of the spare booms and configure them for the larger set up.

Fred

Thats's not a bad idea at all? I would be looking for the carbon arms as I'm wanting it to look less DIY than the F450 and the wood in my opinion looks more so. My only thought with split booms is they will then be VERY long and less strong due to gap in the middle. 12 inch poles would be the perfect size

Billchuck

Thats's not a bad idea at all? I would be looking for the carbon arms as I'm wanting it to look less DIY than the F450 and the wood in my opinion looks more so. My only thought with split booms is they will then be VERY long and less strong due to gap in the middle. 12 inch poles would be the perfect size

Cut them to the length you want. Take two of the offcuts and cut a small section from them lengthwise. You may be able to curl them and slip them inside the ends of the boom sections to strengthen where they meet. If that doesn't work, use a short length of wooden dowel instead.

Wishy

Muse from heaven
Hey, I'm looking at the Versacopter, and was wondering for beginner 250 and FPV if Power pack E is better for the price than the Luminier setup(OneShot, I know, but parental money obliges...)
Additionally I could buy the components from PP E on HobbyKing, living in Hong Kong... Thanks!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Now... you could cut your own brackets to hold the round arms. I'd find a drill bit the same size as the tubes, and drill into a material... wood, or cutting board. And then after you get the holes drilled, cut the material to the size you want the spacers to be, and cut a slot in one side so you can open the hole a little, and then fit the tube inside.

Fit it into the plates at the angle you want, mark your holes through the plates onto the material, and drill those holes out so when you put the screws through they go through the material and compress it between the plates. Then cut to size/shape.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Now... you could cut your own brackets to hold the round arms.... wood, or cutting board...

I like polycarbonate. A little pricey compared to wood. But very durable and the cool factor when backlit by LEDs is awesome. I apologize ahead of time if you already know this, but make sure it's polycarbonate and not acrylic. Acrylic is way too brittle IMO. Did I mention I like polycarbonate;)