FT VersaCopter - Race Quad Build

dfarmer0033

Delrin replacement

Some how I have missed placed a piece of the delrin frame. Is there anyway I can purchase a replacement delrin kit versus buying a complete versacopter kit. The piece I am missing is the 2 hole end piece.

Motor Mount Screw Size

Anyone know what size screws are used for the motor mounts? Based on the offerings in the store and the motor specs for the MT2204 I'm guessing they are M3x20mm or M3x25mm. I have a set of MT1806's that I'd like to use but they are tapped for M2. This would be my first quad build so if you know of where I could find what I would need it would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a downloadable cleanflight configuration for the versacopter as built in the video?

I think Josh had said something about being able to download a configuration file, at least as a start point. Is this located anywhere? I don't see it.

olssn

Is there a downloadable cleanflight configuration for the versacopter as built in the video?

I think Josh had said something about being able to download a configuration file, at least as a start point. Is this located anywhere? I don't see it.

You mean these?
Only 4 cell setup

skunkman62

n00b to biulding

I'm looking into the Versacopter being my first build. In the description for the power pack it states "This set up is designed to be used with a 3s Lipo battery but is also rated to be used with 4s with smaller props installed." The thing is my current quad uses 4s batteries with 6045 props and don't want to purchase different batteries or props. My question is what needs to be changed from power pack E for me to use 4s batteries with 6045 props? ESCs? Motors?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm looking into the Versacopter being my first build. In the description for the power pack it states "This set up is designed to be used with a 3s Lipo battery but is also rated to be used with 4s with smaller props installed." The thing is my current quad uses 4s batteries with 6045 props and don't want to purchase different batteries or props. My question is what needs to be changed from power pack E for me to use 4s batteries with 6045 props? ESCs? Motors?

Motors primarily -- for that long/fast of a prop on 4S you'd need either a lower kV or a MUCH beefier motor (and then the ESCs would need to be upgraded too). If you were to find a similar motor in a 1700-ish kV, you could get away with regular 6x4.5's . . .

. . . but isn't this the tail wagging the dog? Props are cheap, and on multirotors, consumable. Motors, not so much. Being able to share spares is nice, but if you're flying with any frequency, you'll be buying enough that it probably won't help. It's your money, but I'd size the motor for your need, then get the prop that matches.

drpoulette

What size booms?

I've got one... I love it... I want another!

Mine is one of the early releases before the internal frame was available. It's using the standard wood booms, and the GR18 all in one receiver. (this receiver is amazing, too bad they make it out of unobtanium!)

View attachment 54850

Hey what size wooden booms are you using? I keep breaking the internal frame so I'm wanting to just use wooden booms like you've got here.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey what size wooden booms are you using? I keep breaking the internal frame so I'm wanting to just use wooden booms like you've got here.

Can't say for sure, but knowing "How" FM got that versacopter (pre-released -- it's good to be the benevolent dictator for life), I'd bet on these:

https://store.flitetest.com/wooden-booms-pair/

. . . but if you've got a saw and a Lowe's nearby, It's cheap and quick to knock out a pair form 1/2" square dowels . . .

. . . and you don't wait for shipping ;)

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Motors primarily -- for that long/fast of a prop on 4S you'd need either a lower kV or a MUCH beefier motor (and then the ESCs would need to be upgraded too). If you were to find a similar motor in a 1700-ish kV, you could get away with regular 6x4.5's . . .

. . . but isn't this the tail wagging the dog? Props are cheap, and on multirotors, consumable. Motors, not so much. Being able to share spares is nice, but if you're flying with any frequency, you'll be buying enough that it probably won't help. It's your money, but I'd size the motor for your need, then get the prop that matches.

Im waiting for two bulk packs of gemfan abs 5030 and 5040 props to arrive from HobbyKing's intl. warehouse. But wondering if i can get away with running the 6045 props that came with the power pack E and the 4s batts i just got? I'm running the emax 2300kv motors that came with the power pack E but have upgraded the esc's to Luminier 20a esc's.

Last edited:

s0berlin

Want some more punch

Currently running t-motor 2205-2000kv motors and air15 ESC's. Wondering if the emax 2204-2300kv with oneshot would be suggested by someone running these? The lumenier pack is just so damn expensive but as illustrated by the team pilots they pack a punch.

Thoughts?

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Thinking about making a jig to cut the 6inchers down to 5.

sOberlin, the Luminier 20a mini esc's are pretty awesome. I paid $19.99 each. Pretty reasonable price for the performance IMO.

Bnomadman

Josh, Your build video and the images show 2 different motors in Power pack E, but after ordering this from your store and starting the build, I realized that power pack E sold in the store (linked from the build page) has 4 of the same motor. Is this safe to use? Thanks.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It sure is safe. Back in my day, we only had one type of motor and we used it on all four arms of the quad, and we liked it...

The benefit of the "two different motors" is that the thread is in the opposite direction on two of them. So when you hit your prop on something, it would actually help to tighten the bolt instead of taking it off.

arbinshire

Any update as to the availability of a sturdier structure than the delrin garbage? You look at it funny, and it cracks...

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
They're selling the G10 in the store now, much better... and aluminum parts are coming. And they're awesome

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Britonv,

updated vids are always welcome (IMO), but since cleanflight 11's release, REV 6 is fully supported. Only big difference is in the wiring harness to the RX, since it's changed from the 2x5 edge connector to a 1x10 connector.

Some of the screens look a little different, but the process and concepts are virtually identical.

arbinshire

I just received the aluminum upgrade kit. All I've got to say is, "wow!" It completely stiffens up the chassis immensely, and the pieces are incredibly light weight. This is what the versacopter should've been from the start.