Ft Versacopter Racer Motor and Prop Options

I am planning to build a new drone using the new versacopter racer frame. I would ideally want to use this quad for freestyle and smooth cruising. This frame supports 6-inch propellers. I was thinking about using the new Emax eco 2306 1700kv with gemfam flash 6042 tri-blades. If I used a 1500-2200 mah 4s lipo, what kind of flight times could I expect? Is there a better option to get longer flight times, and still have enough power to do basic freestyle?

FDS

Elite member
2200mah is on the big side for a quad battery. If you add more battery weight you need more thrust to carry it and you use more throttle to maintain that thrust, using up the battery faster. Most freestyle type set ups work best on a 1500mah 4s. You can get longer flight times by flying less aggressively, going up to 6s (more expensive and not a huge time gain) or by running more efficient 2 blade 6” props. They won’t be as punchy as tri blade props. Many people run 5” props on 6” frames. The power available will depend on how powerful your motors are plus how aggressive your prop is. A steeper pitch will have more punch but less top end and will use more power.
Most 5-6” builds get 6-8 mins of flight time as a maximum, with 3-5mins not uncommon if you are more aggressive. If you want more flight time you carry more spare batteries.
There’s frames that are half the price of the versa copter racer (TBS Source One for example) that are just as good. There’s some good extras in the Versacopter package if you want them but it’s relatively expensive.

FDS

Elite member
You can get a bit more flight time on any two bladed prop vs 3 blade, but it depends on how hard you fly. 3 blades are the most common as they offer a good compromise between power and duration. You are talking a minute or two max difference. I have tried both, I still fly most often with 3 blade 5040 Gemfans or Dal Cyclones.
If you want long FPV flights you have to go fixed wing, a tricopter, or super lightweight cruising quads.

FDS

Elite member
1500mah, you want at least 75-100c as well. 1500 will hold its voltage better under high throttle. That would be the same on a 6” build, the all up weight and motors are usually the same.
You can spin a big prop slower if you want to fly longer, but that doesn’t make a snappy freestyle flyer.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The stock versacopter was a pretty ecfecient cruiser out of the box. When I built mine I was getting 6 to 14 minutes of cruise time depending how throttle heavy I was. That was on stock 3s 2200mah packs and 6x45 gemfan bi blades

It evolved from there and ended up my first 4s freestyle quad giving 4 to 8 minutes of moderate flips n rolls.

Theres a running thread here with all its evolutions. The videos however have been taken down as I changed over to different builds.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
OP is looking at the Racer frame, which looks like a more standard X type carbon frame.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its pretty much the same on any quad. If you want time its all about throttle management, big mah batteries, and effecient props.

Its like ohms law... when one rhing goes up something else must come down.

For what the op is putting together and what he wants a happy medium I think would be 4s 1800mah 75c + batteries and 6x4.5 bi blade props.

Should easily get over 8 mins cruise tome and still do freestyle at the sacrifice of time for each flio and roll.

Reactions: FDS