FT VersaWing UK Build

snuffy

Some pictures of the build and a video of the first few short flights.

I've never flown before so it's all a bit sketchy, but I got better as the flights progressed.

If anyone can tell from the video whether it looks balanced correctly, let me know; I don't have any experience of what it should fly like.

Cheers,
Tim.

I will use the top hole on control horns to increase the lever arm length; might help to prevent stripping another servo!

I'm happy with the plane; a respectable first day I think.

Flying with 90-100% throttle; will buy a prop with more pitch for next flight, it felt underpowered.

Versa Wing plans from FliteTest.com
8x3.8 SF Propeller
NTM prop drive 1100kv
2200 3-cell battery

UK foamboard (Hobbycraft) appears to be heavier than the US foamboard. Consequently this affected the centre of gravity, I had to put over 100g of additional weight in the nose...about the same weight as the camera I don't have yet :-(.

Maybe try moving the motor further forward by a couple of inches if you make one and don't intend to put a camera onboard.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm extremely impressed! You did an excellent job for your first few flights, especially considering the fact the Versa Wing is not a trainer. I've never flown a wing, so I'll be happy if my first few flights go this well. Great job!

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I can almost guarantee, that will be the case with every maiden. I know it is for me!:)

Scottie

hobbycraft foamboard ?? a fellow UK FT flier ;) congrats on your maiden flight,you did a whole lot better than my first few attempts.
You're right btw,our foamboard is heavier and thicker ...don't even try peeling the paper off :p

Scottie

snuffy

hobbycraft foamboard ?? a fellow UK FT flier ;) congrats on your maiden flight,you did a whole lot better than my first few attempts.
You're right btw,our foamboard is heavier and thicker ...don't even try peeling the paper off :p

Hi Scottie, yep, I'm down in Bristol. :)

Though they feel like they'll be too heavy they still seem to fly ok. Just built a v2 Bloody Wonder yesterday, can't wait to fly it. I must learn to fly these things before building any more!

Scottie

I'm up in Dundee,
don't worry about the weight issue,were fortunate because i believe our foamboard is far superior too DTFB,it can take an unbelievable amount of punishment and keep flying,one of my spits is still flying,built it back in august last year haven't even minwaxed it (ronseal for us)

nistrum

aye
the foamboard we have here is covered in a much more durable type of paper and glued on much more solidly... it is also as you say way heavier. i was worried about my cruiser lacking the power it needed to start with, although those demons jumped ship after the first flight.... :D gl dude

snuffy

I'm up in Dundee,
don't worry about the weight issue,were fortunate because i believe our foamboard is far superior too DTFB,it can take an unbelievable amount of punishment and keep flying,one of my spits is still flying,built it back in august last year haven't even minwaxed it (ronseal for us)

Ahh, wondered about the Minwax thing over here. I'll look up the Ronseal maybe.

Scottie

Ahh, wondered about the Minwax thing over here. I'll look up the Ronseal maybe.

ronseal quick drying varnish satin clear is the one I use,leave it overnight too set properly then you're good too paint.
B&Q sell a good quality rattle can called Valspar,its a bit expensive but gives an excellent coverage and finish
20140302_093654.jpg
this one was ronsealed then the above paint.

Winglet

Man, you are a natural. Great flying for the first time. Wish I had my first flights on video. But...we didn't have video way back the then.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Nice first flights on a challenging platform for a trainer/first plane! I'm in the US and have been using the DTFB, but am considering using Elmers Foamboard for bits of my next build -- the Elmers foamboard sounds similar to the material you used. Paper is stronger, glued on, and heavier. I'll be using the Elmers for the tip plates and the blunt nose part of the new blunt nosed Versa.

Dan8973

Hi Tim,

Where about are you flying your plane?

I'm just about to build a FT versa pusher style. I live in Yatton which is just outside Bristol.

I also have a mate who has built the spitfire.

Have you still got your versa?

Dan.