FT-Viggen Build

Jimmyp

I finished my viggen last night. I used a left over bixler 2 motor (upgraded mine for FPV) with 7x5 prop. I flew it yesterday just before it got dark and set the trims and I liked how it flew. Today I wanted to see it really go so I put in a 4s battery and wow. It is fast on 4s and had unlimited vertical.
See Pictures and video.
FT Viggen 6.jpg FT Viggen 4.jpg

Attachments

• FT Viggen 1.jpg
    FT Viggen 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

rossmort

First flight for my Viggen tonight - 2826/6 2200 kv on 3s. It needed a 3300mah battery up front to balance which was more weight than I expected needing, but it didn't seem to hurt performance.

I only had a little time to fly and was in a small area, but it flew like it was on rails. I was surprised how much it would slow up and also did some high alpha (on second flight) which worked surprisingly well considering the 6x4 prop I was using. I was debating putting on a 7x4, but the motor was already a bit warm as is. Can't wait to get it out again.

Nothing exciting, although I was quite happy with how well it landed!

Last edited:

captron360

Wow...David did put a lot of thought into this one. Easy to build easy to fly and it's even easy to trim before you fly it!!
I have over a dozen flights so far. What a GREAT jet!
Thank you David and Flight Test. Here is a picture just before it was done. 018.JPG

I love this plane. This has to be one of my favorite FT plane. I was so scared of this plane when I first scratch built one. It's howling noise the EDF makes and how fast this plane is was just unnerving. I guess it also doesn't help that the first time I saw this plane fly in person, Flynn needed a football field and 2 soccer field of space and it still happened to crash into a light poll...

anyways, I got over the gitters and flew one, didn't last too long as I kept on crashing it on hard landings. I'm on my second one and 'knock on wood' i've gotten bunch of flights on it. Custom modified it to have a carbon spar to help the wings from folding in from crashing like my first one did and added a Rudder to it. I like having the rudder and doing coordinated turns on it.

Just wanted give David, Josh, Chad and the entire FT crew for doing what you do and making planes like this available for the masses...

ftviggen.JPG

here's a video of last weeks flight recorded by Flynn and his Electrohub spider fpv quad. Awesome Job Flynn, great footage...

JNJO

And another one gets built and flown.

Scratch built from 3mm Foamboard
70mm 11-blade CS2 from HK with the 630W/2800kv motor
4S/3500/30C
Static current draw at WOT: 60A
DSC_0397.jpg

Thoroughly nice to watch and fly.:D

Clocked at 117Kph Speed over ground in to a very mild head-wind.
I guess about 120Kph true airspeed.

1170g AUW with FPV gear, 1090g in standard configuration.

Thanks to David W. and the FliteTest gang for this wonderful design.

jimbo

For those of you who have made the canard and rudder mods (mainly: laury415 / F1wanabe) how have they worked out for you? Is it worth adding to my rebuild?

Last edited:

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Hi,
Here is my 75% scale FT Viggen.
300gr without battery (I use a 1000mAh or 1300, 80 to 100gr)
3S/50mm hk EDF (67gr) which gives 450gr thrust if you listen to hk, but forums says it is more close to 250gr thrust...
Not really fast but it flies.
I will never use black tape again, the result is horrible and you don't see the thing in flight

IMG_20141019_211556.jpg

Team_Monkey

I picked up a Viggen kit at FliteFest and as Flynn pointed out I got tired of replacing the tail on the Stinger so I busted it up for the fan and electronics. So you'd think I'd be building a 4S fan version right? Nope. I let it all sit until now and then I decided to build a light indoor version to make use of indoor season here in Akron.:D

Thankfully I have a large format printer at work so I plotted the full size drawings last week and started marking off parts this morning. I probably have almost 90 minutes into this project and I don't even have the parts cut out yet! From an economics stand point I should have just ordered another kit. But marking out the parts isn't that hard and it lets me save my "pretty" kit for the speedy version.

This will be a thrust vector version, I just have to pick a motor based on my final weight.

Oh and Kevin, Viggen #3 looks great! Can you whip up a light version for NEFF? 2 or 3 Viggens would look really cool in there....hint-hint, nudge-nudge ;)

Last edited:

Team_Monkey

I finished my light Viggen the other day. Too much work going on so I haven't had time to maiden yet. It's actually built light with a rudder and max throws for indoor season. I have maybe one whole glue stick into the airframe. I used Beacon 3-n-1 for some of the joints and to reinforce the hinges. It works much better for that IMHO and is easier to get very thin.
I know I griped about the time it took eariler but after having it all done it wasn't bad at all. A little Crown, a few podcasts and I have a nice $3 airplane. ;) I used one of the MG 9g servos from the Stinger for the Thrust Vector mount so it is strong. I had to trim the back some to clear the prop. I wanted max deflection for tight loops.

AUW with a 1600mAh 3S is about 19oz. CG is on the dot with the pack in the front of the bay.
Motor: 39g, 2208/12 1850kV, rated for 16A
Prop: APC 7x4 , Drawing approx. 19A, it actually overloads the motor at peak, WOT.
ESC: Cheap Hobbywing 20A

I sealed it with Polycryilic then painted it with H2O Latex. The patterns are just free form, cut in scrap foam for templates with a bit of 2" wide masking tape on the edges to catch overspray. It works for me.

Team_Monkey

Finally got to maiden the Viggen. There was a terrible motor screech that turned out to be due to the stock low timing in the ESC. It is a cheap HObbyWing 20A but it didn't take long to change the timing via throttle stick programming.

I'm really happy with how it flies. I can get good long flights from a 1600mAh battery and it is light and agile enough for close in or indoor flight. The rudder really is key IMHO for control in high alpha. I have had many prop in a slot park jets that will high alpha just fine but being confident of keeping them going in the right direction isn't easy. I was flying tight in figure eights with this plane.

The video is a little long but it is actually three flights and the process of getting it dialed in. About 2/3 of the video is where I keep it really close and at higher throttle. :cool:

Maiden video

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
depron Viggen

After some cg and rates adjustments my mini Viggen fly better.
Slow fly with high angle of attack is very fun.
My 3S/1000mAh batt cells were at 3.82V average after 6:30 mins flight, temp of both batt and esc just a little warm, good.
My 3S EDF limits speed but pull less than a 4S and is a little bit lighter (and was cheaper too ;) ).

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Very nice ztoon. :)

Hi,
Thanks, I must say your maiden video is also nice to watch. Now I feel I want to make a pusher prop Viggen :D .
I think I still make it 75% scale like my edf Viggen. Vectoring thrust or not? I'll see, but your video aerobatics seems extremely fun.
I'm a bit worried about torque roll on launch which could be more visible with a mini Viggen.

Tree Top Tommy

I am newer to R/C. This site has the best projects, hands down!! Here is my first scratch built Viggen :cool:

My only slight regret is I was lazy an didn't do a wing spar since I was out of carbon. On most of my foamy builds, this one included, I split bbq skewers down the middle long ways for a half-moon effect. I use this material to line the leading edges of the wings. The impact these foamys can withstand from this little upgrade is staggering. You should see what my club does with the delta wings for combat (soooooo much fun!)

Anyways, you can use whole skewers too, I just I find splitting them (while sometimes a pain in the butt) is just as effective and saves a few grams in weight. Not to mention the flat-on-flat surface makes for good adhesion.

Hope you enjoy the video!

Tree Top Tommy

FT-Viggen with an on board camera

I am newer to R/C. This site has the best projects, hands down!! Here is my first scratch built Viggen :cool:

My only slight regret is I was lazy an didn't do a wing spar since I was out of carbon. On most of my foamy builds, this one included, I split bbq skewers down the middle long ways for a half-moon effect. I use this material to line the leading edges of the wings. The impact these foamys can withstand from this little upgrade is staggering. You should see what my club does with the delta wings for combat (soooooo much fun!)

Anyways, you can use whole skewers too, I just I find splitting them (while sometimes a pain in the butt) is just as effective and saves a few grams in weight. Not to mention the flat-on-flat surface makes for good adhesion.

Hope you enjoy the video!

Here is another video I just did yesterday with a camera onboard :D

Ad_RC_Enthusiast

Please give a me a link for the EDF setup! Anyone? :p

I really do not want grayson hobbies, hobby king will be awesome as long as the links given electronics are compatible

RUDDERLESS

HELP

HI all

Starting my kit, and need some enlightenment, I noticed in David's video, when he was inserting the fan unit into the support rib before gluing, he did not push it in all the way,...my question, is that for air flow reasons, or simply designed that way to insure that it seals.

If it is to help air flow to the fan, is there a rule that can be applied to determine what that distance should be ?

Thanks, RUD

Last edited:

wilanz

Anyone seeing oscillation on the vertical axis? Tail flutter, tail jumping up and down on a high speed pass?

I picked up a used 4S Vigen from a friend and had a great maiden this morning. then took it out this evening to show family the wonderful $4 frame flying and at full throttle low pass the plane shook up and down so hard I thought it was going to fall apart in the air. I've had high speed oscillation on planes with gyros and flying wings with too much speed. I cut throttle and pulled up to slow it down. Then didn't see the issue again for a couple of passes. Of course when I tried inverted low pass, the oscillations came back. I wasn't flying that fast but had plenty of throttle. I cut the throttle and watched the plane come down, pulled up hard but no luck. just nosed it in about 10' from the spectators.

Not sure I want to mess with this model any more. Rebuilding the nose is easy and Speed is fun but I may stick to the heavier stuff like Habu's and Vyper EDFs.