FT-Viggen Build

Team_Monkey

Anyone seeing oscillation on the vertical axis? Tail flutter, tail jumping up and down on a high speed pass?

Mine was rock steady but then it may not have been as fast as yours. ;)
How were the control linkages, horns and servo gears, any sloop?
Maybe the control horns had loosened in the elevons or perhaps the paper had loosened at the hinge line?
Although flutter at a high speed would usually be heard more-so than cause an oscillation...:confused:

I have a speedbuild kit that will get a 4S fan from a HK Stinger MKII so we'll see in a few weeks how it does.

As a report back; my thrust vectoring version took a good many "doinks" during the indoor season. I would do backflips and then try an immediate front flip. It was a hoot to watch but resulted in a few doinks. I went through two MG servos on the mechanism and actually pulled the control wire out of it once. If anyone uses the TV module, you may want to make a thin formica doubler or brass tubing inserts where the pushrods connect to the tilting part. The wires enlarge the holes after only 5-6 flights and results in motor vibration and more slop.

Balancing your props and using low mass props really helps. Remember the servo is fighting the gyroscopic effect of the prop that presses into the hinge (recall gyro effect is 90deg to path of movement) so less mass and less pitch will make it easier on the servo.

Last edited:

James Y

Junior Pilot
I am planning to build the FT Viggen as my 2nd EDF (hopefully first successful one...) These are the components I have decided to use for the build - can you have a look and let me know if they are a good choice? Thanks!

10- blade 70mm EDF Fan Unit http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...igh_Performance_70mm_EDF_Ducted_Fan_Unit.html

Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner (630w)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18543__Turnigy_L2855_2800_EDF_Outrunner_630w_.html

Hobby King 60A ESC 4A UBEC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16892__Hobby_King_60A_ESC_4A_UBEC.html

I would like to power this with a 2200 3s.

I am planning to build the FT Viggen as my 2nd EDF (hopefully first successful one...) These are the components I have decided to use for the build - can you have a look and let me know if they are a good choice? Thanks!

10- blade 70mm EDF Fan Unit http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...igh_Performance_70mm_EDF_Ducted_Fan_Unit.html

Turnigy L2855-2800 EDF Outrunner (630w)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18543__Turnigy_L2855_2800_EDF_Outrunner_630w_.html

Hobby King 60A ESC 4A UBEC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16892__Hobby_King_60A_ESC_4A_UBEC.html

I would like to power this with a 2200 3s.

I think you will need to go 4s on the battery. The motor is listed as 4s, using it on 3s probably wont give you any good results.

James Y

Junior Pilot
This is the standard setup recommended. It is what I use on 4s and it has really good power, can go for about 4 minutes on a 3300mah. The servos that are included work fine on the viggen, I used them and have had zero problems.

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/70mmedfflightpack-p-2279.html

This is the battery I use in mine.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/4s-lipo/gforce-elite-30c-3300mah-4s-t.html

Thanks for the reply - I didnt really want to put up the extra cash for a 4s ( we all have so many 32 2200's!!
I guess I better pony up for a 4s

James Y

Junior Pilot
I bought a new power system for the FT Viggen I am building, and I have some major concerns about the ESC.
Here is the circuit breakdown:

Turnigy 70mm EDF unit with 630w brushless motor.
Hobbyking Orange 8ch Receiver
Turnigy 2200MAH 3s lipo
Hobbyking 60A ESC
Spektrum DX6 Radio

When I connect everything up with my Tx on) the system gets power (the Rx LED is on) and does two beeps, but never does the 3-quick, ascending beeps to signal that everything is working. If I plug a servo into the receiver it functions properly, but the motor does not respond to any stick movements. ESC/Motor is in channel 1.

To make things even more curious, when I go into programming mode (plug-in the battery while the throttle stick is all the way open) I get all the programing tones and beeps listed in the ESC manual, but the motor still will not spin or initialize!

Any suggestions? I know the receiver works, and I know the EDF unit and motor works as well (I tried it with a different ESC – a 30A) . I have not been able to get the 60A ESC to work with any components.

What did I do wrong?

Smok1n

Are you sure you have good connectivity between the motor and ESC? unrelated to the problem, are you sure you want to run this on 3S? Unless you have a really high kv motor you aren't going to see very good thrust numbers out of this setup.

Last edited:

James Y

Junior Pilot
Did you balance your Fan?

Finally finished Viggen #84 - The EDF Version

Maiden Flight Saturday

View attachment 21149

Materials:
Flite Test Viggen Speed Built Kit
Turnigy L2855 2300kV motor (rated 450W)
Chain Sun 10-Blade v.2
HobbyKing F60A (Blue) 60A ESC
2 x Hextronic HXT-900 9g servos
OrangeRX 615 receiver
Turnigy 3000 4S battery

Weight:
574 g - Airframe with fan unit, motor and electronics (less battery)
335 g - 3000 4S battery
909 g - All up weight

First flight went 4:50 with battery still at 3.81V per cell. Probably could have run at least another 5 minutes. Video to follow in next post.

I also bought the 10bladed ChangSun EDF unit and during my test spool-ups the fan exploaded and the fan blade shrapnel came shooting out the back side and damaged the foam.

Now I didnt really balance my fan....but I didnt expect an explosion!!

Any thoughts?

Tree Top Tommy

By far may favorite plane to fly...

v1.jpg v2.jpg

Last edited:

Frits37

decal file?

I'm planning to build the Viggen this autumn and at the moment I'm gathering as much info as possible. I noticed that the link to the splinter camo decal file (the 500 Mb thingie) doesn't work. Any chance it will be uploaded again?

Frits37

An additional question: I see 6 servo's listed in the power pack options. Why 6? There's only the elevons to move? Shouldn't 2 be enough?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
An additional question: I see 6 servo's listed in the power pack options. Why 6? There's only the elevons to move? Shouldn't 2 be enough?

Those power pack options (I assume you are referring to the Flite Test power packs?) are the same for multiple planes. Some of the the planes have four channels + optional flaps. In order to not have to have a specific power pack for each SBK (Speed Build Kit) they have a single power pack that can work with many SBK's. Hope that makes sense. If you are just getting started with scratch building, you will find something to do with those extra servos. :)

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
6 minute flight on my 1000w viggen. Mobius is a little out of focus, sorry about that.
Was trying to see how slow i can go. Got some pretty slow stalls. Had my gopro on my head but forgot to hit record X0
This is a great flying plane and even heavy like mine at around 1.3kg it is super easy to launch underhanded like in the video below.
Fast, slow, it loves em both.

hobbyking alloy 68mm edf 1000w
4000mah 4s 20c battery

11363832_1620877208171967_693180870_n.jpg

Frits37

Thanks Dan, that makes sense.

Btw, Anders Nylen has posted some very beautiful Viggen pictures in the FB Saab Viggen group. Here is one:

12004689_1151707571511719_6310202541375248104_n.jpg

HowlingWolven

Busy building my Viggen on weekends. Running a 65 amp Turnigy AE65A ESC on a 3S 5000, and a Changesun 70mm fan with a 630 watt Turnigy 2855, as well as two Hitec 9-grams.

And - as the previous poster with a Changesun, mine shattered during the first runup. What I guessed what happened was that the fan flew off the motor shaft, then into the back of the ESC (stripping the three leads back quite a ways in the process.)

My question is, how would i mount the collet so that it doesn't decide to leave the motor away again?

Edwardchew

Hey guys, just wanna share my newly built Viggen. For those who couldn't get the printed decal, you can just spray paint on it and draw those lines with fine black marker too!
2015-09-20 09.35.58.jpg
2015-09-20 09.36.57.jpg 2015-09-20 09.36.24.jpg

And those black fins at the bottom is for landing on sandy surface, to lift the intake up from sucking sand into the edf during landing which can be a disaster.
2015-09-19 17.18.52.jpg

I added slow up on er9x to mimic the slow spool of turbine. :D

And the maiden was awesome easy! It just very easy! Can be flown super low speed!

As i gained more confidence and flew it at a bigger space. Those "prop hang" is real fun and easy to figure out. Great easy plane!

HowlingWolven

So I just wanted to post some pics of the beast I've been working on. She's not finished yet (Still have parts on the way, and I need to make up a battery extension to drive some LEDs for night flying), but she's pretty damn close!

7804c23698b05751fbeb826c5f24373f.png

Fully taped and doweled leading edges, to take (and give!) a beating.

0aba8c2d4ef65b49a50f5b4c0ceeda89.png

A quick overview shot.

Still dunno about paint, though.

rossmort

Not really sure what happened as we were having some brownout/lock-outs occurring, but I'll look on the bright side and say I was in a competitive spot landing competition and I won the gold. I actually think I'll be able to put it back together with a little (or a lot) of tape and glue. 20151107_115250.jpg

Pelicanglider

Just got a set of the Callie graphics for my Viggen build and have searched the thread for an answer to the question - graphics on before the build or after? What I have gathered from some of the pictures in this thread is apply graphics before building, but I would like to hear from someone who has already done this that there is no problem with the hot glue sticking to the vinyl graphics. Thanks!

HowlingWolven

Hot glue doesn't like vinyl, so what you need to do is to trace over all the cut and score lines with a blade, and peel away the paper (and vinyl) on all glue seams. This isn't too difficult to do.