Ft viggen group build!

moke

I like how you did the folded wings. I did the layered kfm style.

Has it flown yet?
not flown yet. still 'dinking' with it some. going to add rudder. On 'folded' wings, I just upsized the plans for FT Alpha to 150% . required minimal modifications to fit the viggen fuselage.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Following this with interest - I love my Viggen but have thought about building another with a folded wing from an Arrow or Spear
Awesome! I've been considering doing surgery on my viggen and inserting two 64mm EDF's in mine... :unsure:

Intashu

Elite member
not flown yet. still 'dinking' with it some. going to add rudder. On 'folded' wings, I just upsized the plans for FT Alpha to 150% . required minimal modifications to fit the viggen fuselage.
Alright so I got my hands on a 3d printed EDF I'm going to try to setup and fly with, and that got me on the VIggen, which led me to this thread, which made me see your plane with the upscaled wing. Now I gotta know, have you had a chance to try it yet? because I don't want to use a sheet of poster-board for a flat wing, and love this idea. but if it turns out terrible I don't want to to ruin my own plane attempting to copy it!

moke

Alright so I got my hands on a 3d printed EDF I'm going to try to setup and fly with, and that got me on the VIggen, which led me to this thread, which made me see your plane with the upscaled wing. Now I gotta know, have you had a chance to try it yet? because I don't want to use a sheet of poster-board for a flat wing, and love this idea. but if it turns out terrible I don't want to to ruin my own plane attempting to copy it!
didn't work out so well for me. plane nosed up and looped on take off. Tried to adjust c.g. but same thing second time. Probably a way to make it work, but I couldn't figure it out. Going back to the standard wing.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
didn't work out so well for me. plane nosed up and looped on take off. Tried to adjust c.g. but same thing second time. Probably a way to make it work, but I couldn't figure it out. Going back to the standard wing.
You know what I think it is. I think that there is too much lift in the front. You could try to create less lift by re gluing the canards on dead level, instead of 10 degrees up like on the standard Viggen. Since its an EDF, I doubt that it could be a thrust angle problem, but maybe that could be a contributing factor. Did you by any chance happen to get a video?

moke

You know what I think it is. I think that there is too much lift in the front. You could try to create less lift by re gluing the canards on dead level, instead of 10 degrees up like on the standard Viggen. Since its an EDF, I doubt that it could be a thrust angle problem, but maybe that could be a contributing factor. Did you by any chance happen to get a video?
I think you are probably correct. but I destroyed it after two full loops so I gave up

L Edge

Master member

You are right on target about the +10 degrees on the canard. Mounted a 70mm EDF with movable canards(servos driven) on mine and ended up zero degrees for a slighly aft CG.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It’s been almost a year since the last post on this thread, but I have several edf’s coming in the mail, and I’m planning on building a viggen with one of them. It’ll be a 64mm 12 blade Eflite or freewing unit, I’ll have to look at the specs to decide which to use. I have the Eflite 64mm f-16 and it’s super fast, so I’m leaning toward the Eflite unit. Time to print off the plans!