Ft viggen group build!

L Edge

Master member
IMG_0308(1).JPG

Finally solved all my nozzle TV problems so I was able to glue wing, build back segment and throw rudder on. Gave up trying to shape from cockpit to rudder component. Will adapt tommorow and put nose on, set up the electronics and finish off the movible canards so I can get the CG right.

You can see the servo for the movable canard. Can't wait to try and fly it.

L Edge

Master member
My changes to the Viggen:

1) Added the 2 dimensional ball thrust vectoring nozzle. By adding the 2 servos it really changed the plans provided by the FT group so I just had to adapt as I went along. Just finished up doing battery entrance and that was a (PITA). Glad it is only cosmetics.

2) Added 2 servoes for movable canards. Concerned about forces on the canards so I lowered the size. My reason is not to see the top speed, but what it can do when you add TV and moving canards. I have explored canards for 9 years with only 64's, so this will be new. Servo wires go thru the inlet entrance over to the battery box and not worried about turbulance flow. Remember that I can fine trim the canards to set them at any angle for forward flight.

3) Battery is going to be placed in-line with center line of fan(raised about 3/4 " so to reduce moment especially with high alpha. A quick look at the battery location will place part of the battery in the nose section so it is now glued.

Here is GNU-2 (F-22) that is 9 years old with TV and movable canards and still exists even today. Watch and see what happens every time it is close to the ground and you can see why it only gets dinged.

I am hoping that I can fly the Viggen in a dome for the winter months.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My changes to the Viggen:

1) Added the 2 dimensional ball thrust vectoring nozzle. By adding the 2 servos it really changed the plans provided by the FT group so I just had to adapt as I went along. Just finished up doing battery entrance and that was a (PITA). Glad it is only cosmetics.

2) Added 2 servoes for movable canards. Concerned about forces on the canards so I lowered the size. My reason is not to see the top speed, but what it can do when you add TV and moving canards. I have explored canards for 9 years with only 64's, so this will be new. Servo wires go thru the inlet entrance over to the battery box and not worried about turbulance flow. Remember that I can fine trim the canards to set them at any angle for forward flight.

3) Battery is going to be placed in-line with center line of fan(raised about 3/4 " so to reduce moment especially with high alpha. A quick look at the battery location will place part of the battery in the nose section so it is now glued.

Here is GNU-2 (F-22) that is 9 years old with TV and movable canards and still exists even today. Watch and see what happens every time it is close to the ground and you can see why it only gets dinged.

I am hoping that I can fly the Viggen in a dome for the winter months.
Wow - you sure put a lot of work and effort into this project and I wish you luck on the maiden! So 6 servos in this plane, right?

L Edge

Master member
Only one more item and it is going to be ready to maiden. Notice the position of the canards so hat will influence the pitch axis.

IMG_0309.JPG

Need to strengthen the movable canards since they are just held to the servo by the large servo arm (2 1/8"). Mounted the Esc in the battery bay so the Cg can be matched(don't want to add any nose weight). Surprised the TV nozzle and servos that were added balanced out.

Programming Big Blue:

Mode 1--- TV nozzle for yaw is included in all 3 modes. No programming needed and reduced the max throw to not exceed 30 degrees either way. From years of experience with TV stuff, don't want to overstress plane on initial flight. Can always add more if wanted.

Mode2--- Flip switch and the rudder TV nozzle as well as elevator TV nozzle will be added to the elevons. The elevon deflection and the TV nozzle match angles. Hoping to get wild pitch and yaw deflections for tighter loop flat spins etc, and add some pretty high alpha flying.

Mode 3---Elevons, TV pitch and TV yaw, will be added to the movable canards that are going to give wild pitch motion in acrobatics as well as even higher alpha. Did the same with a F-22 9 years ago where it is controlable in a dome.

Putting together flight plan as to what I am going to do in what order. Speed will not be the first.

L Edge

Master member
Like to share this with all EDf flyers'

Spooling up is a time delay effect with all jets. Even on landing, you should keep some EDF rpm's turning as you are on final approach so it you got to punch it for a go around, it could prevent a crash. Here is how you do it.

Go to throttle curve.
IMG_0310.JPG

Enter and activate your curve.

IMG_0311.JPG

Add some points to the throttle curve. (seven is max on mine.)

Rather than have a straight line , what you do is force up some RPM's at very low throttle, so it is spinning but not giving any large thrust, just some, (will prevent the stallouts) and if you need to go around, that might just save you from rolling over and hitting the ground. Use expo to flare it in.

You will need to explore to get that right feeling. Pass this onto others.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Only one more item and it is going to be ready to maiden. Notice the position of the canards so hat will influence the pitch axis.

View attachment 146648

Need to strengthen the movable canards since they are just held to the servo by the large servo arm (2 1/8"). Mounted the Esc in the battery bay so the Cg can be matched(don't want to add any nose weight). Surprised the TV nozzle and servos that were added balanced out.

Programming Big Blue:

Mode 1--- TV nozzle for yaw is included in all 3 modes. No programming needed and reduced the max throw to not exceed 30 degrees either way. From years of experience with TV stuff, don't want to overstress plane on initial flight. Can always add more if wanted.

Mode2--- Flip switch and the rudder TV nozzle as well as elevator TV nozzle will be added to the elevons. The elevon deflection and the TV nozzle match angles. Hoping to get wild pitch and yaw deflections for tighter loop flat spins etc, and add some pretty high alpha flying.

Mode 3---Elevons, TV pitch and TV yaw, will be added to the movable canards that are going to give wild pitch motion in acrobatics as well as even higher alpha. Did the same with a F-22 9 years ago where it is controlable in a dome.

Putting together flight plan as to what I am going to do in what order. Speed will not be the first.
You did a fantastic job man! I'm really eager to see how it does! I need to finish my viggen now, already have all the parts cut out and it's partly built...

L Edge

Master member
Finished up all details where I re-enforced the canards and when the plane is vertical, the battery is raised up from the fuse floor so that the center line of thrust and the lateral battery c/l are the same. That w

Preflight:
1)The battery was placed to match the Cg of the plans as a starting point. Also balanced lateral the wings to help on release.
2) All control limits were set and double checked.
3) Outside, the plane was held vertically and throttle was advanced to see what thrust position it takes to hover it. I found that 48% of throttle was needed.
4) Adjusted yaw and pitch thrust vector nozzle so plane does not wander when held vertical.
5) Ran throttle full power for 20 seconds to see it if would cut out. Battery and esc were warm, but not hot.
6) Switched to mode 2 and applied rudder and then elevator to see if TV deflections were good and able to go back to orginal position.

Now set to chuck and test CG to see if ready for flight.

Will do video.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Finished up all details where I re-enforced the canards and when the plane is vertical, the battery is raised up from the fuse floor so that the center line of thrust and the lateral battery c/l are the same. That w

Preflight:
1)The battery was placed to match the Cg of the plans as a starting point. Also balanced lateral the wings to help on release.
2) All control limits were set and double checked.
3) Outside, the plane was held vertically and throttle was advanced to see what thrust position it takes to hover it. I found that 48% of throttle was needed.
4) Adjusted yaw and pitch thrust vector nozzle so plane does not wander when held vertical.
5) Ran throttle full power for 20 seconds to see it if would cut out. Battery and esc were warm, but not hot.
6) Switched to mode 2 and applied rudder and then elevator to see if TV deflections were good and able to go back to orginal position.

Now set to chuck and test CG to see if ready for flight.

Will do video.
Awesome! So you are able to hover at less than half throttle? That’s amazing! It’s running a cheap 70 mm five blade edf on 4s, right?

L Edge

Master member
Test flew the Viggen!! Wow

At launch, immediately knew plane was stable as can be. Flew nose up(going to reduce canards) and tried the TV rudder and it is dialed in. Plane tracks excellant and very little input is needed. Slows down nicely and stepped up to trying TV elevator and will need further deflection to explore further.
Came in for landing and you definetaly need power for a smooth approach and speed has to be kept up. Launched with now movable canards and tried a loop. Really reduced dia of loop.
Went back to elevator TV on and landed Viggen. Need to trim out canards, add TV elevator deflection and recheck CG.

Give it an rating of 8.5 for first shot. See if I can make adjustments and up its rating. Was a PITA building and adapting, with the end result that was certainly worth it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Test flew the Viggen!! Wow

At launch, immediately knew plane was stable as can be. Flew nose up(going to reduce canards) and tried the TV rudder and it is dialed in. Plane tracks excellant and very little input is needed. Slows down nicely and stepped up to trying TV elevator and will need further deflection to explore further.
Came in for landing and you definetaly need power for a smooth approach and speed has to be kept up. Launched with now movable canards and tried a loop. Really reduced dia of loop.
Went back to elevator TV on and landed Viggen. Need to trim out canards, add TV elevator deflection and recheck CG.

Give it an rating of 8.5 for first shot. See if I can make adjustments and up its rating. Was a PITA building and adapting, with the end result that was certainly worth it.
Awesome!! Will there be any video?

L Edge

Master member
Here's the maiden video.
First part is I just tried using elevons and TV rudder, middle, switched to TV elevator and tried landing. You definetly need low power for the final. Third, added moving canards to equation and landed in to checkout plane, t vectoring and movable canards. Never did open up throttle and found I used 1389 mah for total flight. Plane flies it is equipped with a prop.

Already changed + 8 degrees canard to +5 degrees (used phone app) to see what happens to CG and nose up plane. Increased TV elevator travel to 60 degrees for up and down. I am hoping that I will be able to fly it in a dome this winter when the TV and canards are tuned in.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here's the maiden video.
First part is I just tried using elevons and TV rudder, middle, switched to TV elevator and tried landing. You definetly need low power for the final. Third, added moving canards to equation and landed in to checkout plane, t vectoring and movable canards. Never did open up throttle and found I used 1389 mah for total flight. Plane flies it is equipped with a prop.

Already changed + 8 degrees canard to +5 degrees (used phone app) to see what happens to CG and nose up plane. Increased TV elevator travel to 60 degrees for up and down. I am hoping that I will be able to fly it in a dome this winter when the TV and canards are tuned in.

Nicely done! That just looked and sounded too cool! It seems like maybe I should forget my pusher prop and go with an edf. A cheapo 65mm 5 blade should be perfect for my 1500 3s and 30 amp esc it seems...

Headbang

Master member
Nicely done! That just looked and sounded too cool! It seems like maybe I should forget my pusher prop and go with an edf. A cheapo 65mm 5 blade should be perfect for my 1500 3s and 30 amp esc it seems...
Either way it is a blast, just different. That was not the plane flying that awesome, that was a very experienced pilot flying that awesome. Pusher is slower, has instant power, and lighter. Edf is faster, has spool up time and heavier.

Seriously @L Edge that was some nice flying!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Either way it is a blast, just different. That was not the plane flying that awesome, that was a very experienced pilot flying that awesome. Pusher is slower, has instant power, and lighter. Edf is faster, has spool up time and heavier.

True! A skillfully created plane to compliment a very accomplished pilot!
I might just pick up an edf then... I know I'm definitely the one to be talking, but @Headbang how is your viggen doing?

Headbang

Master member
True! A skillfully created plane to compliment a very accomplished pilot!
I might just pick up an edf then... I know I'm definitely the one to be talking, but @Headbang how is your viggen doing?
I have the tv ball mocked up, cut a new wing to replace my little glued the wing to my table mishap. It is on the back burner till I finish the 2 ducks I have on the go. Need to get my snow planes up and running first after pulling a stupid with my duck, giving away my explorer, and crashing my extreme duck. Only thing I have right now to fly off snow is a Sealane (Sig balsa kit if I remember right)

L Edge

Master member

Thanks. You know what, my son can outdo me at any version of flying, pattern, pylon(200mph) racing, 3D, FAI heli competition and gliders.
I always look like a beginner next to him.