Ft viggen group build!

L Edge

Master member
Today, did another flight with canards reduced in angle and pitch TV increase to 45 degrees angle. Plane now flies level so reduced canards did help trim it. So now, will switch battery back to move CG towards rear and see what happens. Interested if I can do a 3D high alpha approach. See it going to take a number of runs to maximize the controls.

L Edge

Master member
Since the Viggen is a stable platform, decided to go for the max. Launched mode 3(elevons, TV nozzle and movable canards) and off it went with battery moved aft 1/2 inch. Flight went well so tried high alpha approach to me and still lacked snappy controls. So I stopped flight after 3 min.
Went home and now set canards at 0 degrees. I again doubled the angle of canards so when full elevator is applied, it travels 20 degrees up. Negative down canard elevator is also set at - 20 degrees so I can get the nose down quickly if I am close to stall. You can really feel it start to stall on this plane.

Headbang

Master member
Thanks. You know what, my son can outdo me at any version of flying, pattern, pylon(200mph) racing, 3D, FAI heli competition and gliders.
I always look like a beginner next to him.
I am always amazing when teaching newbies. I am always amazing when alone. The perception of amazing falls apart quickly when others show up lol

L Edge

Master member
Today, flew the Viggen (very gusty) with increased TV elevator and best of all, the canards are zero out, not the 10 degrees as set up in the plans. First thing I notice was the increase of speed(guessing 10 - 15mph) and then even tighter loops than before.

Having the canards capable of going up to 20 plus degrees and slowing down, try to do some high alpha decents to land. Now I have WW (wing wobble) so I will have to play with throttle, canards and elevator( both deflection angle and TV nozzle) to see if I can eliminate the WW.

This is what I see when I try the high alphas(can't paint worth a whoot).

IMG_0315.JPG

L Edge

Master member
Would like to share the program mix to move the canards up and down and shut them off.

First of all, it is the flight mode 3 (I use switch B for 3 positions) on a DX9 radio) Positions 1 and 2 there is no action.

Then go to a mixing program. Pick curve, anbd set up elevator action against AX2 for one canard..

IMG_0316.JPG

Go inside:
IMG_0317.JPG

Lower right you see Switch Flight Mode and what you see is Mode 1 and 2 are not activated and 3 is darkened(click it). That means 3 is active when the switch is in mode 3. Remember programming allows action to be either off or on. No other choice.
Activate Expo, inh trim

Looking at graph, the horizontal is the elevator(move the gimbal) and the canard is ) movement. So mode 1 and 2, the canard doesn't move. Only 3 because it is ticked.
Add points so the total is 7(move elev gimbal) and to which you put numerical numbers in to each side between 0 and 100.
Now you can put numbers in so you can get deflections. Pull/push the elev gimbal to see where it shows up. If the deflections are the wrong way, change sign from + to - or vice versa. Check mode 1 and 2 to insure no movement for canards when you move the elev gimbal.

Now make another mix for the other canard. Do the same.

Let's say the servo is not in the right position. Go to servo setup, change travel to subtrim and move value in ax2 box so it will zero out. Do not change the mix value because it will move only in mode 3 and not mode 1 and 2.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Would like to share the program mix to move the canards up and down and shut them off.

First of all, it is the flight mode 3 (I use switch B for 3 positions) on a DX9 radio) Positions 1 and 2 there is no action.

Then go to a mixing program. Pick curve, anbd set up elevator action against AX2 for one canard..

View attachment 147340

Go inside:
View attachment 147341

Lower right you see Switch Flight Mode and what you see is Mode 1 and 2 are not activated and 3 is darkened(click it). That means 3 is active when the switch is in mode 3. Remember programming allows action to be either off or on. No other choice.
Activate Expo, inh trim

Looking at graph, the horizontal is the elevator(move the gimbal) and the canard is ) movement. So mode 1 and 2, the canard doesn't move. Only 3 because it is ticked.
Add points so the total is 7(move elev gimbal) and to which you put numerical numbers in to each side between 0 and 100.
Now you can put numbers in so you can get deflections. Pull/push the elev gimbal to see where it shows up. If the deflections are the wrong way, change sign from + to - or vice versa. Check mode 1 and 2 to insure no movement for canards when you move the elev gimbal.

Now make another mix for the other canard. Do the same.

Let's say the servo is not in the right position. Go to servo setup, change travel to subtrim and move value in ax2 box so it will zero out. Do not change the mix value because it will move only in mode 3 and not mode 1 and 2.
So you use mode three in high alpha to have your canards be more horizontal to the ground?

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So if you're watching this thread, then you'll be seeing quite a bit from me in the near future. Thanks for inviting me to post here @The Hangar
So Ive got the Viggen SBK just for less time. I had cut it out in attempt to scratch build but my printer glitched and the plans came out lopsided. I didn't realize this and oops, now I'm out 3 pieces of foam board. So I got a kit. I'm planning to fly on a 64mm fan when it comes. 40a esc and a 2200 3s. I cant wait to fly an EDF!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So if you're watching this thread, then you'll be seeing quite a bit from me in the near future. Thanks for inviting me to post here @The Hangar
So Ive got the Viggen SBK just for less time. I had cut it out in attempt to scratch build but my printer glitched and the plans came out lopsided. I didn't realize this and oops, now I'm out 3 pieces of foam board. So I got a kit. I'm planning to fly on a 64mm fan when it comes. 40a esc and a 2200 3s. I cant wait to fly an EDF!
Awesome! I’m still debating whether to buy a 64mm edf or go with the prop/thrust vectoring setup. I need my buddy to fix his 3D printer! 😆

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Awesome! I’m still debating whether to buy a 64mm edf or go with the prop/thrust vectoring setup. I need my buddy to fix his 3D printer! 😆
EDF...EDF...EDF...EDF...EDF... I'm not pushing you, but I think an EDF is great, especially if you've never flown a ducted fan before! I think the thrust vector would be cool, but I'm into jets. Just a friendly suggestion from a fellow aviator

L Edge

Master member
Today took 3 flights to get the Viggen to land at a steep approach. Adjusted the throw of the canards as well as reducing the TV angles and it acts like a STOL airplane. Temp was 35 degrees and gusty so did modifications inside where it is nice and warm. Reduced flight time since lipos loose just like car batteries. Happy with the Viggen.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Today took 3 flights to get the Viggen to land at a steep approach. Adjusted the throw of the canards as well as reducing the TV angles and it acts like a STOL airplane. Temp was 35 degrees and gusty so did modifications inside where it is nice and warm. Reduced flight time since lipos loose just like car batteries. Happy with the Viggen.
Awesome!

Matagami Designs

Master member
The viggen was my first EDF and I was pretty pleased with it, I say go with the edf.
You may want to update the flat airfoil after awhile.

Parts are on the way. :) Should be fun. I plan on laminating the wing to get some more strength and a bit of lift/drag. Not sure i want to do too much after that but we'll see.

Hoping to get the spitfire out of the hangar soon as well. It has been staring back at me for way too long. :rolleyes: Just need to finalize my Air Cruiser plans for FTFC20 then i can reallocate my C pack.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, so I think I’ll do a kfm wing like @BATTLEAXE did on his prop-n-slot jets he’s done. And since funds for the hobby are pretty low after getting ftfb for winter flying, I think I’ll have to do a prop version. I’m actually considering doing a c or b pack instead of the f pack since I haven’t seen anybody do that yet. I may make it interchangeable so I can try both out.