Ft viggen group build!

Matagami Designs

Master member
Ok, so I think I’ll do a kfm wing like @BATTLEAXE did on his prop-n-slot jets he’s done. And since funds for the hobby are pretty low after getting ftfb for winter flying, I think I’ll have to do a prop version. I’m actually considering doing a c or b pack instead of the f pack since I haven’t seen anybody do that yet. I may make it interchangeable so I can try both out.

I feel each part isn't all too expensive but i don't have any of the required electronics so after the fan, motor, esc, servos and a new battery on top of it all it will put me back about $120. All on a $3 air frame. I think going with the C pack will be a nice choice. Maybe you could put a TV mount on it.

For me i had to do the EDF just to know what its like. Got the plans printed so will start cutting soon.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ok, so I think I’ll do a kfm wing like @BATTLEAXE did on his prop-n-slot jets he’s done. And since funds for the hobby are pretty low after getting ftfb for winter flying, I think I’ll have to do a prop version. I’m actually considering doing a c or b pack instead of the f pack since I haven’t seen anybody do that yet. I may make it interchangeable so I can try both out.
Be ready for it to be a fast plane. The F pack allows for a lighter battery and a higher Kv. @Photo001 Viggen did really well on the F pack. and the motor will be right in the back which equates to a lot of tail weight. The KFm wing will help to compensate for sure.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I feel each part isn't all too expensive but i don't have any of the required electronics so after the fan, motor, esc, servos and a new battery on top of it all it will put me back about $120. All on a $3 air frame. I think going with the C pack will be a nice choice. Maybe you could put a TV mount on it.

For me i had to do the EDF just to know what its like. Got the plans printed so will start cutting soon.
@Bavarian_RC has a sweet Viggen EDF style and that thing cooks, a sweet speed machine.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Do the KFm thing man, I keep suggesting it and every one is scared of it, yet complain about how weak the wings are in a single layer FB. I did it on 4 versions of the prop and slot jets and it worked out fantastic. You will only benefit from it in strength and lift... and yes they will maintain inverted as well. Check I out on my YT channel, link in the signature.

Prove to these dudes that it is a good idea, they don't believe me lol

Matagami Designs

Master member
Do the KFm thing man, I keep suggesting it and every one is scared of it, yet complain about how weak the wings are in a single layer FB. I did it on 4 versions of the prop and slot jets and it worked out fantastic. You will only benefit from it in strength and lift... and yes they will maintain inverted as well. Check I out on my YT channel, link in the signature.

I will be trying to just give it a normal FT style flat bottom airfoil. I'm not too worried about inverted since that's not my flying style, maybe a few rolls and loops and I'll be happy. 😁

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Lol - I’m trying it man! Do you think you could take a screenshot of the whole wing and show how big the top layer would be?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
These are the pics I had of the 22 versions. I went for the top layer makes up 50% of the total area, so the entire front half of the wing is the second layer, the elevons are included in that total, being part of the wing:
20190920_213616.jpg
20190920_213628.jpg
20190921_102043.jpg

I glued the 2 layers together with spray adhesive and taped the front edge, smeared some HG along the back edge of the top layer to seal it in and hold it all together.

For the Viggen all that you need to do is decide where the half point is, usually a good place to start is half way down the root of the wing and draw a line to the wing tip, 50/50. You could even make a cavity for a skewer to go in for a lightweight spar on the bottom layer between the two layers. I did this on a couple of my versions of this plane.

L Edge

Master member
No TV for this one. I want to keep it relativly simple. My only change will be laminating a second layer to the wings for added strength.

As I mentioned before on my Viggen, add some wing area(got added 12.5 sq inches) by just redesigning the angles so it is further out, yet the fuse and control surface points are the same.

Will make for a slower landing speed.

Matagami Designs

Master member
As I mentioned before on my Viggen, add some wing area(got added 12.5 sq inches) by just redesigning the angles so it is further out, yet the fuse and control surface points are the same.

Will make for a slower landing speed.

If I hadn't already cut my wing out I would probably have done this. I guess I should have read through the thread more. 🤔

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
EDF is here. Seems like i will need to work on my soldering skills to get power from the ESC to EDF. :rolleyes:

View attachment 148431
I learned to solder in Electronics class in High School. Super careful with the soldering iron, just enough heat to do the job. Very precise and pretty difficult. I was having a bear of a time soldering the connectors necessary for these birds, when my uncle, @sundown57 shared a bit of wisdom. Not a soldering iron. A soldering gun. High heat. As high as it will go. Use the flux. Not just the flux in the center of the solder, actually use a can of flux and liberally coat either end.

Coating either end in flux and just touching the hot tip of the soldering iron? Boom. Solid joins in almost no time at all. Not nearly enough time for the heat to damage anything. It's nearly instantaneous. It was a serious game changer for me. ;)