Ft viggen group build!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I got a little done in the viggen today! I laid the parts together for the pic, but still need to glue the individual parts together. I love it so far!

Attachments

• 3C86C825-8AD0-4846-AF1B-EF39860C5336.jpeg
    3C86C825-8AD0-4846-AF1B-EF39860C5336.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ain’t she a beauty? I got it all glued up and all she needs is servos and some wiring. I am super stoked to fly it! I think I’ll maiden it as soon as I can since the weather looks good for the next few days before it starts raining, so after the maiden, I’ll paint it. I’m a little worried cause I have a very slight thrust angle in the motor going the “wrong” way and also with the kfm wing creating more lift in the back causing it to pitch down. You can see the slight thrust angle in the last pic. @Hai-Lee what are your thoughts? Should I run a standard prop and reverse the motor so the torque will be opposite the thrust angle? And the kfm wing - should I be worried about that? Thanks!
56A6506F-A148-407A-819A-9ADFED43DBAC.jpeg
7DAF5395-B50B-4E6D-8F55-94DADA88EBD8.jpeg
8A6251E6-1C7D-466B-96E8-E8DBDABD4305.jpeg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ain’t she a beauty? I got it all glued up and all she needs is servos and some wiring. I am super stoked to fly it! I think I’ll maiden it as soon as I can since the weather looks good for the next few days before it starts raining, so after the maiden, I’ll paint it. I’m a little worried cause I have a very slight thrust angle in the motor going the “wrong” way and also with the kfm wing creating more lift in the back causing it to pitch down. You can see the slight thrust angle in the last pic. @Hai-Lee what are your thoughts? Should I run a standard prop and reverse the motor so the torque will be opposite the thrust angle? And the kfm wing - should I be worried about that? Thanks! View attachment 148540 View attachment 148541 View attachment 148542
Firstly the KFM wing will add a little lift but also a little weight so it will stall at just a tad faster speed than standard.

As for the thrust angle why don't you add some packing/spacers under the right side mounting screws to straighten it out. It would be simpler than trying to fly with side thrust from the motor.

Make sure that you have plenty of elevon throw and plenty of expo and it should all go well. Just beware of the spinning prop when you attempt the launch. Also launch with a slight nose up attitude and launch the bird slightly upwards as well as the elevon controls wash off lift to raise the nose and if there is insufficient height at launch you WILL slap the tail onto the ground.

have fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Firstly the KFM wing will add a little lift but also a little weight so it will stall at just a tad faster speed than standard.

As for the thrust angle why don't you add some packing/spacers under the right side mounting screws to straighten it out. It would be simpler than trying to fly with side thrust from the motor.

Make sure that you have plenty of elevon throw and plenty of expo and it should all go well. Just beware of the spinning prop when you attempt the launch. Also launch with a slight nose up attitude and launch the bird slightly upwards as well as the elevon controls wash off lift to raise the nose and if there is insufficient height at launch you WILL slap the tail onto the ground.

have fun!
Oh - great idea. Will do. And I’ll pass this on to my launching buddy! Thanks again for your help!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Oh - great idea. Will do. And I’ll pass this on to my launching buddy! Thanks again for your help!
Just one tip for after you get it flying. You will find that the pitch control is a little subdued or slow whereas the roll is ridiculously fast. You can alter the control balance by adjusting the mix rations if you radio has the ability. I start with 40% aileron and 60% elevator in the mix. it makes fast turns a little more controllable!

Have fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just one tip for after you get it flying. You will find that the pitch control is a little subdued or slow whereas the roll is ridiculously fast. You can alter the control balance by adjusting the mix rations if you radio has the ability. I start with 40% aileron and 60% elevator in the mix. it makes fast turns a little more controllable!

Have fun!
Ok, thanks. I think that my dx6e can do that.

L Edge

Master member
Ok, thanks. I think that my dx6e can do that.

One other thing that you should do before the test flight is "Are your ailerons and elevator angles the same when they are fully deflected?"

Reasons: In many cases, the cheaper servos spline locations are never the same. Yeah, you can use sub trim to even the centers out, yet when you deflect say the elevator, in many cases, you will find that the angles are different. Result, adds direction to the other axis.

The roll rate on this puppy is real fast being a delta. When launching any type of plane , try not to exceed 20 degrees because it will cost you especially if it is windy. Have a good one.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
One other thing that you should do before the test flight is "Are your ailerons and elevator angles the same when they are fully deflected?"

Reasons: In many cases, the cheaper servos spline locations are never the same. Yeah, you can use sub trim to even the centers out, yet when you deflect say the elevator, in many cases, you will find that the angles are different. Result, adds direction to the other axis.

The roll rate on this puppy is real fast being a delta. When launching any type of plane , try not to exceed 20 degrees because it will cost you especially if it is windy. Have a good one.
Thanks for the tips. Once I get my servos in I'll try this. I've been using the Miuezi servos for a while, and have them on my bravo and ft-22 and they seem to be pretty good.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Nice, my 4s compatible charger was only 34 bucks on the FT store, 10 more dollars then the 2-3s charger on the store! Ill agree, looks like it's worth it!
Nice! $35 bucks is great, and no need to spend more than you need. I,ve only charged 2s and 3s batteries on it so far, but I really want to get into 4s. The features I have used so far to make it worth it for me is that I've charging lipo, nimh, and li-ion batteries for my planes, trucks, and boat. And since both sides are completely separate, I can charge completely different battery types or sizes at a time.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Nice! $35 bucks is great, and no need to spend more than you need. I,ve only charged 2s and 3s batteries on it so far, but I really want to get into 4s. The features I have used so far to make it worth it for me is that I've charging lipo, nimh, and li-ion batteries for my planes, trucks, and boat. And since both sides are completely separate, I can charge completely different battery types or sizes at a time.
So does mine, at least with the different types. I only can charge one at a time, though. Sweet, I may put a 4s in my Viggen but a 2200 3s should work with my power system