Ft viggen group build!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
There are a few builders on the forum that have tried the FT style fold up wing and even a KFM wing design all for greater lift because of a better wing profile. If you scale it down you might try a better wing profile for better efficiency, (but keep it light).

Have fun!
I got some time to think on it as well. I'm not saying this is a for sure plan, just an idea, things could change in time. Really appreciate the advice and do not hesitate to correct me at any time, I like it lol

Headbang

Master member
Well you have a project now! And you said you have a couple 64 mm edf’s? Well put em to good use! I’d love to see a twin edf viggen! I think my table wins for the “messy contest” too bad for a pic even! I’ll get it clean and then start on my viggen this weekend!
My work bench at home is covered in seaduck and tailings from carving fb, and is a complete disaster. So is the floor. And I am sure I have tracked bits of fb all through the house as well!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I an absolute contrast to what you have goin on this is my work space as of right now. I think I need to get my mind off the planes as per say and de-clutter to free up some quality space. Maybe install some decent lighting over the work table too. There my day has a plan.
View attachment 140700

I like the twin EDF idea, and would be really interested in the thrust vectoring thing. Seems like something you would do for 3D capabilities (y):cool:(y)

New work space. Feel like I can actually breath in here now. And see, set up some new lighting

20190826_144537.jpg

Didn't take me to long and now I just want to build... to windy to fly even the Explorer. Maybe I'll mow the lawn instead lol

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looks great! I mean, Long grass helps cushion non-perfect landings (aka crashes) right?!
The space I fly in now is long grass and low shrubbery so I won't be writing off planes as easy anymore, and it's a 3 min drive from the house. Mind you there are trees around the perimeter that eat planes and they always look hungry. Tryin to sell the house as well so curb appeal is important they say

Headbang

Master member
Cutting out 4 Viggens tonight, 2 for me, 2 for others. Anyone have an idea what the best setup for a pusher might be? It feels like a job for a 2205 2300kv.

jakexie6

A mini quad motor like that might have enough power. One thing I do remember is trying a pusher setup with a blue wonder and it having barely enough power to sustain a controlled fall. To be fair, I was using a full powerpod instead of a firewall and I had to use a moderately heavy battery. However, try it with a 2205! I would love to see how it turns out.

Headbang

Master member
A mini quad motor like that might have enough power. One thing I do remember is trying a pusher setup with a blue wonder and it having barely enough power to sustain a controlled fall. To be fair, I was using a full powerpod instead of a firewall and I had to use a moderately heavy battery. However, try it with a 2205! I would love to see how it turns out.
I used the 2205 2300 with a 5x4.5 prop on 4s to power a northern pike. Had the perfect amount of thrust. And that was about 5 times heavier. So figure it should scream. Tho if the goal is 3d, lower kg and bigger prop would be better.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Cutting out 4 Viggens tonight, 2 for me, 2 for others. Anyone have an idea what the best setup for a pusher might be? It feels like a job for a 2205 2300kv.
Your machine will probably cut all four in the time I hand cut one😂. I’m going to be doing the b and c packs like ft recommends, but it seems like that would work... I don’t do very much with the minis so I’m not sure what the abilities of those motors are.

Matagami Designs

Master member
There are a few builders on the forum that have tried the FT style fold up wing and even a KFM wing design all for greater lift because of a better wing profile. If you scale it down you might try a better wing profile for better efficiency, (but keep it light).

Have fun!

I was thinking about doing something like this when i get around to starting mine. I think this would add a good bit of rigidity to the wing and help prevent delamination of the paper. Maybe even be able to flush mount the servos on the wing then.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/better-wing-for-the-ft-viggen.37971/

From experience you may wish to add some CF reinforcing spars to the wing.. You may also wish to add a hatch or similar for post build access to the EDF unit if fitted.

Other things to consider are, that it does not like being too heavy, you need a decent quality EDF unit and 64mm seems underpowered, you can get increased thrust with some additional, (hidden), air intake holes, (especially for when balancing on its tail), and finally cut the hinge line bevels in the wing upper surface as this will protect the elevons from being ripped off when landing on a rough surface.

The Viggen is quick but not fast. It performs axial rolls like a bullet, (very very fast), but is rather slow in pitch. You will need to adjust the elevon mix ratio and add plenty of expo to the aileron control.

Our club has lost one due to ESC/Lipo fire and another that seems to love finding trees. A very robust build, (except for the wing) and a definite flying experience. Does really nice "High Alpha" with an adequate mount of thrust of course.

Just a few notes on local experiences.

Have fun!

I am a bit interested in having a hatch for the EDF unit but not sure how this was done or how effective it is? Any chance you can share more info on this?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I was thinking about doing something like this when i get around to starting mine. I think this would add a good bit of rigidity to the wing and help prevent delamination of the paper. Maybe even be able to flush mount the servos on the wing then.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/better-wing-for-the-ft-viggen.37971/

I am a bit interested in having a hatch for the EDF unit but not sure how this was done or how effective it is? Any chance you can share more info on this?
The hatch was first cut into on of my builds for another club member. He specified a 64mm build and after flying it he wanted to upgrade it to a 70mm EDF. He just cut a rectangular hole directly below where the EDF unit was fitted and started hacking at the internals. He initially glued the cut out piece back in but over time he replaced the "hatch" with a piece of ply which had a rectangular cut out in it in front of the EDF to allow more air in. He just holds the hatch in place with some reinforced packing tape!

At the moment I am building another Viggen for a different club member and he wants to have a slide in/out EDF pod to ease changes and the like. The only real issue in doing that is the access to the wiring and so I am slowly plodding through the build and his requirements! If I manage it I will post the method/pod.

One additional change was the use of a stiff plastic to make the thrust tube because the card was a little flexible and actually ballooned at full thrust causing a loss of thrust. The more rigid tube made a significant difference!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
While I remember! The way they launch them here is to either do an underarm high alpha throw or to use and bungee launcher.

The hand launch has the bird almost stationary, (hanging in the air), and so far no real control issues but the bungee launches them as if they had rocket assist and as straight as an arrow!

Have fun!