Ft viggen group build!

Headbang

Master member
Bottom spars on wing done, wiring done and edf tested.
20190830_115037.jpg
Trying laminating on the wings, using pva I had.
20190830_143104.jpg 20190830_143055.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I promised details of my powerpod version. It is as yet untested sadly as I wait for the EDF unit to be supplied. I used an old damaged housing for the build and so here are the details of the build to date.

First thing I did was to cut out 2 of the 70F formers and one each of the 70 and 70B formers.

One of 70F formers was trimmed/cut at an angle so that it would fit through the end of the fuselage and the offcut piece was glued to the full 70F former.
DSCF0035.JPG
DSCF0036.JPG

Next 70B was also cut in the same manner as the rear 70F was cut but with a little less clearance at the rear of the fuselage. The former 70 Was glued to a large scrap of FB and a hole for the thrust tube was cut through the scrap. Then 70 was positioned in its final position and the fuselage outline was marked on the scrap piece. The scrap was then trimmed to the same profile as the fuselage end.

Next I glued 4 BBQ Skewers into former 70 and into central portion of 70B. This was done with the formers in the fuselage, (not glued) to ensure that the measurements were exact. I couple of pins were cut from skewer offcuts and used to provide some additional strength to the junction of 70B and the EDF housing for when the powerpod is pushed into position.

With all of the formers in position they were glued into the fuselage, excepting 70 and the added external addition.

Here is how it works or goes it!

DSCF0039.JPG
DSCF0038.JPG
DSCF0037.JPG

The thrust tube in the photos is a PET bottle and will be fitted and trimmed when the real EDF unit arrives!

Have fun!

Headbang

Master member
Vector nozzle ready for installation.
20190902_151540.jpg
Had a bit of a mishap with the wing, somehow got glue under the wing and it glued to the table. So paper is a bit ruined on the bottom. Either going to re-paper it, or maybe use binder protector film to clean it up.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You could always cover it using the self adhesive book covering film. You may need to "Rub" it into the wing to maximize the adhesion but otherwise it is quite good for repelling water and has a degree of abrasion resistance. Sadly it does add weight though!

Have fun!

Headbang

Master member
You could always cover it using the self adhesive book covering film. You may need to "Rub" it into the wing to maximize the adhesion but otherwise it is quite good for repelling water and has a degree of abrasion resistance. Sadly it does add weight though!

Have fun!
That was the film I was talking about. Unfortunately in my tests it sticks amazing to paper, but not so well to foam. Might try some super 77 to increase adhesion. Honestly I considered covering the whole plane in it originally. One real bonus of the film is painters touch x2 adheres to it amazingly, after painting a test piece I scratched it with several objects and it took a blade to make any significant scratch.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It’s been a while since anybody has posted! How are your builds going? I finally got mine all cut out! I can’t wait to start building it. It is turning out to be larger than I thought it would be😂.

Attachments

• 38CACD1D-ACAC-45AB-92B7-7AE31D10CBA2.jpeg
    38CACD1D-ACAC-45AB-92B7-7AE31D10CBA2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey guys! My original plan was to do a swappable viggen, but after seeing this 64 mm edf on amazon for $20, I’m maybe going for this instead. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1E4MJB/?tag=lstir-20
So basically, I have a couple 30 amp esc’s, and in the q&a several people said they run this edf with a 30 amp esc with no issues... now there is a 70 mm edf version of this also for $20, but it is rated for 4s (the 65mm is 3s) and I don’t want to buy batteries and a 40 amp esc. What do you all think. If you have doubts about this setup, let me know and I’ll either find a different edf or just go with my original plan of a swappable.

Headbang

Master member
After careful consideration I trashed the wing on my build, i will cut out new wings and not mess up this time. Figure 20mins on my needle cutter is quicker then trying to recover $2.50 worth of board. Heading to the hobby shop right away to get parts for the 2D 3D edge build, figure I will see if I can get a few carbon fiber spars while there for the new wing. Outside of that I need to buy an Arizona ice tea for the can, going aluminum for the thrust tube. Once I have a good thrust tube I can finish the thrust vectoring. Build will go very fast after that.