Ft viggen group build!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ve been toying around with @Matagami Designs and @BATTLEAXE with the idea of doing a group viggen build. So any of you guys have been thinking about building a viggen (and even if you haven’t) now is the time! I am eager to see what awesome mods this creative community can do to an already awesome plane! I’d love to see someone put some landing gear on it, deck it out with some lights for a night flyer, a thrust vectoring viggen, or a super speed version! As this will be my first jet, I’m going to keep mine on the simple side and stick with the stock design, but if someone is doing something that grabs my attention, I may just change my plans😉 I plan on doing the pusher prop version because it’s lighter *making excuses for not having an edf.* I’m super excited to see mods and everyone’s personal touches they do!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I’ve been toying around with @Matagami Designs and @BATTLEAXE with the idea of doing a group viggen build. So any of you guys have been thinking about building a viggen (and even if you haven’t) now is the time! I am eager to see what awesome mods this creative community can do to an already awesome plane! I’d love to see someone put some landing gear on it, deck it out with some lights for a night flyer, a thrust vectoring viggen, or a super speed version! As this will be my first jet, I’m going to keep mine on the simple side and stick with the stock design, but if someone is doing something that grabs my attention, I may just change my plans😉 I plan on doing the pusher prop version because it’s lighter *making excuses for not having an edf.* I’m super excited to see mods and everyone’s personal touches they do!
From experience you may wish to add some CF reinforcing spars to the wing.. You may also wish to add a hatch or similar for post build access to the EDF unit if fitted.

Other things to consider are, that it does not like being too heavy, you need a decent quality EDF unit and 64mm seems underpowered, you can get increased thrust with some additional, (hidden), air intake holes, (especially for when balancing on its tail), and finally cut the hinge line bevels in the wing upper surface as this will protect the elevons from being ripped off when landing on a rough surface.

The Viggen is quick but not fast. It performs axial rolls like a bullet, (very very fast), but is rather slow in pitch. You will need to adjust the elevon mix ratio and add plenty of expo to the aileron control.

Our club has lost one due to ESC/Lipo fire and another that seems to love finding trees. A very robust build, (except for the wing) and a definite flying experience. Does really nice "High Alpha" with an adequate mount of thrust of course.

Just a few notes on local experiences.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I always like to see group builds. I am watching this for now because I am swamped with projects at the moment but might join this group build in the future :).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
From experience you may wish to add some CF reinforcing spars to the wing.. You may also wish to add a hatch or similar for post build access to the EDF unit if fitted.

Other things to consider are, that it does not like being too heavy, you need a decent quality EDF unit and 64mm seems underpowered, you can get increased thrust with some additional, (hidden), air intake holes, (especially for when balancing on its tail), and finally cut the hinge line bevels in the wing upper surface as this will protect the elevons from being ripped off when landing on a rough surface.

The Viggen is quick but not fast. It performs axial rolls like a bullet, (very very fast), but is rather slow in pitch. You will need to adjust the elevon mix ratio and add plenty of expo to the aileron control.

Our club has lost one due to ESC/Lipo fire and another that seems to love finding trees. A very robust build, (except for the wing) and a definite flying experience. Does really nice "High Alpha" with an adequate mount of thrust of course.

Have fun!
Wow! Thanks for all the great tips! I’ll be sure to apply them all!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

Have fun!
What if the Viggen was scaled down some to accommodate the 64mm EDF to get the desired results?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What if the Viggen was scaled down some to accommodate the 64mm EDF to get the desired results?
Seriously I do not think it would be as pleasant to fly if it was smaller as the wing span is somewhat minimalist as it is. With the 64 it flies quite well but it just seems to lack a bit of thrust on launch and when throwing it hard into the turns. Basically it doesn't accelerate as good as many would expect but no doubt it flies OK, With a 12 blade 70mm it can really go and can almost hover at high alpha. You would be better using the pusher setup rather than attempt to scale it down.

Just another thing the build can be a little tight at times using the full size build if smaller it may be a lot more difficult to get all of the folds done accurately and properly,

It is just a pity that the plans are not in the modern or newer format!

Just my opinion!

Have fun!

Headbang

Master member
Or...... maybe scale up and do twin 64s with vectored thrust.....
Plane bench at work clean, just waiting for a project! 12ft of clean bench.... hmmmm.... need to fix that!

20190826_112751.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Plane bench at work clean, just waiting for a project! 12ft of clean bench.... hmmmm.... need to fix that!

View attachment 140695
I an absolute contrast to what you have goin on this is my work space as of right now. I think I need to get my mind off the planes as per say and de-clutter to free up some quality space. Maybe install some decent lighting over the work table too. There my day has a plan.
20190826_115710.jpg

I like the twin EDF idea, and would be really interested in the thrust vectoring thing. Seems like something you would do for 3D capabilities (y):cool:(y)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Seriously I do not think it would be as pleasant to fly if it was smaller as the wing span is somewhat minimalist as it is. With the 64 it flies quite well but it just seems to lack a bit of thrust on launch and when throwing it hard into the turns. Basically it doesn't accelerate as good as many would expect but no doubt it flies OK, With a 12 blade 70mm it can really go and can almost hover at high alpha. You would be better using the pusher setup rather than attempt to scale it down.

Just another thing the build can be a little tight at times using the full size build if smaller it may be a lot more difficult to get all of the folds done accurately and properly,

It is just a pity that the plans are not in the modern or newer format!

Just my opinion!

Have fun!
I think I will hafta watch the build vid on the Viggen again and see if there was a way to scale it down a bit and yet keep the same surface area on the wing, all the while not limiting space inside for components. Another thinker. I might be awhile before I get to this build but hey this isn't a race, and who knows, maybe one of you will do something that inspires an application that would help with mine. Thx again @Hai-Lee

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 140695
Well you have a project now! And you said you have a couple 64 mm edf’s? Well put em to good use! I’d love to see a twin edf viggen! I think my table wins for the “messy contest” too bad for a pic even! I’ll get it clean and then start on my viggen this weekend!

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
I an absolute contrast to what you have goin on this is my work space as of right now. I think I need to get my mind off the planes as per say and de-clutter to free up some quality space. Maybe install some decent lighting over the work table too. There my day has a plan.
View attachment 140700

I like the twin EDF idea, and would be really interested in the thrust vectoring thing. Seems like something you would do for 3D capabilities (y):cool:(y)

Here is my setup of 2 70mm edf's. If you try it for 3D capabilities, it would be best if you add a gyro to help account for spoolup and spool down. I flew it without any surface controls to show it is possible to use the TV as the primary control. Landings are tough.

I have done a number of 64 EDf's projects with cheap 5 bladed props and the key to success is that you need to build ultra light . Don't choke the exhaust, have the inlet area equal the dia of the fan, and the exhaut length ratio to fan dia not to exceed 5. If you would like to see some videos from flying in a dome, flying X-47B, a STOL and a 64mm trainer,etc.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here is my setup of 2 70mm edf's. If you try it for 3D capabilities, it would be best if you add a gyro to help account for spoolup and spool down. I flew it without any surface controls to show it is possible to use the TV as the primary control. Landings are tough.

I have done a number of 64 EDf's projects with cheap 5 bladed props and the key to success is that you need to build ultra light . Don't choke the exhaust, have the inlet area equal the dia of the fan, and the exhaut length ratio to fan dia not to exceed 5. If you would like to see some videos from flying in a dome, flying X-47B, a STOL and a 64mm trainer,etc.

Good to know. This would be my first EDF so any experienced EDFer's opinions and comments are super helpful

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I think I will hafta watch the build vid on the Viggen again and see if there was a way to scale it down a bit and yet keep the same surface area on the wing, all the while not limiting space inside for components. Another thinker. I might be awhile before I get to this build but hey this isn't a race, and who knows, maybe one of you will do something that inspires an application that would help with mine. Thx again @Hai-Lee
There are a few builders on the forum that have tried the FT style fold up wing and even a KFM wing design all for greater lift because of a better wing profile. If you scale it down you might try a better wing profile for better efficiency, (but keep it light).

Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE nice looking explorer. How are you doing the color - paint?
That's the Explorer @Headbang gave me. He has to take the credit for the paint job, told me it was his first time using polyurethane to seal it up and I think it's a matte finish rattle can paint work. Said it was the first time he used white Gorilla Glue as well. This is the thread I started on it's journey, Exploring the Explorer, check it out.