FT-Viggen Review

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

viggen-sbk-edit-still020-jpg_1392078474.jpg

The FT Viggen speed build kit is our latest edition to the FT Swappable Speed Build Series!

FREE Build plans will be available Wednesday, February 12th

mvi-4595-mov-still001-jpg_1392078426.jpg

After an overwhelming viewer response from our Hot Wire Cut Viggen episode, David set out to design a foam board speed build kit based the original hot wire cut version.

The FT Viggen features all of the same great flight characteristics as the original Hot Wire Cut Viggen.

viggen-sbk-edit-still006-jpg_1392078554.jpg

The canards of the FT Viggen are set at a 10° angle and help deliver an amazing flight experience.

viggen-sbk-edit-still017-jpg_1392078619.jpg

This scratch build/ speed build fles bank and yank with only 2 servos.

viggen-sbk-edit-still014-jpg_1392078620.jpg

Removable canopy reveals a large battery compartment and room for your electronics.

viggen-sbk-edit-still019-jpg_1392078613.jpg

David setup a 'sneaky FPV' setup inside one of the inlets on the FT Viggen.

viggen-sbk-edit-still022-jpg_1392078607.jpg

The view from the inlet offers a nice FPV view and is just one of many possible options for setting up your FT Viggen with FPV and camera viewpoints.

viggen-chad-airbrush-jpg_1392078636.jpg

Chad airbrushed a minwaxed foam board FT Viggen! You can learn more about painting foam board HERE!

viggen-sbk-edit-still016-jpg_1392078617.jpg

A simple paint job makes this foam board airplane look great!

viggen-sbk-edit-still032-jpg_1392078579.jpg

We'd love to see the paint schemes that you come up with! Post your photos to our Facebook page!

viggen-sbk-edit-still030-jpg_1392078581.jpg

Something else that sets apart the FT Viggen is that it's not only a swappable, but because of viewer response we designed this speed build kit with multiple options for power systems!

A traditional swappable fuselage configuration can be setup.

FT Elements Simple Firewall mount.

FT Elements Vector mount can be setup to create crazy flight maneuvers.

The Speed Build kit comes with cutouts for 64mm and 70mm EDF.

viggen-sbk-edit-still004-jpg_1392078635.jpg

Another feature of the FT Viggen is the semi-removable nose assembly.

The replaceable nose offers a protection to the rest of your airframe and if you crunch it you can replace it with a replaceable nose from our store or make your own from the scratch build plans! (plan will be available soon!)

viggen-sbk-edit-still037-jpg_1392078572.jpg

David also created a sticker decal template, the download link is available below.

viggen-sbk-edit-still015-jpg_1392078621.jpg

Unfortunately, the decal set that David created was too expensive to print and offer for sale in our store but we will have plans to download and print yourself!

The decals are available here for download.
(Please bare in mind that the file is almost 500MB. Print size is 54x50 inches.)

viggen-sbk-edit-still033-jpg_1392078577.jpg

No Viggen would be complete without an after burner! David modified his own FT Viggen with a custom made after burner.

viggen-sbk-edit-still034-jpg_1392078574.jpg

It worked! But we do not recommend trying this at home.

viggen-sbk-edit-still035-jpg_1392078576.jpg

If you would like to add an after burner look to your plane we recomend trying the LED Afterburner setup.

viggen-sbk-edit-still005-jpg_1392078632.jpg

We can't wait to see what paint schemes and custom setups you create with your FT Viggen!

viggen-sbk-edit-still007-jpg_1392078631.jpg

Thanks to viewers like you and your feedback, we can create scratch build and speed build airplanes that you want to see!

viggen-sbk-edit-still013-jpg_1392078624.jpg

VIGGEN SBK - EDIT.Still031.jpg VIGGEN SBK - EDIT.Still029.jpg VIGGEN SBK - EDIT.Still026.jpg MVI_4494.MOV.Still001.jpg VIGGEN SBK - EDIT.Still025.jpg VIGGEN SBK - EDIT.Still023.jpg David Face eh.jpg

FREE Build plans will be available Wednesday, February 12th
Thanks again for all of your support!

asoulsdream

cant wait to build this. I will be using FFF and a Score and Fold method the FRCFoamies.com came up with!! they also have a 360 thrust vectored mount for a prop setup.. should be fun!!!

Timgfoley

Awesome David! Just ordered my basic powerpack from Grayson.

However have you tried the Changesun 10 or 12 blade fan in this? It should make it sound much better.

I can't tell how many blades the Grayson hobby one is but I assume 5.

Cheers
Tim

PfiberOptik

Awesome Job!

Awesome job guys this was a great video! The other posters are right, David really is an artist this is a great design! I am new to RC Flying. The last Mode Airplane I ever flew that could be remotely considered remote controled, see what i did there, had a Cox Glow engine and strings. You flew around in a circle until one of three things happened. You either got dizzy and sick, you crashed or you ran out of fuel. Usually a combination of the first two. Who else remembers those good old days? But I digress.

Just want to say thanks and great job to all the Flite Test crew! I have learned much from your freely shared knowledge as I am sure have many other new comers, such as myself, to RC flying.

Thanks
PfiberOptik

AustinFurey

Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Awesome David! Just ordered my basic powerpack from Grayson.

However have you tried the Changesun 10 or 12 blade fan in this? It should make it sound much better.

I can't tell how many blades the Grayson hobby one is but I assume 5.

Cheers
Tim

Hey Tim,

I do believe that David first tested with a Changesun and then switched to the Grayson Hobby 70mm. Although the Changesun was great, it's hard to beat a total EDF package for $60. Grayson was also kind enough to help support the episode. After 3 or 4 more Viggens were built around the Grayson model, it was decided that overall they were just a great fit.

-Austin

PfiberOptik

What is sticing out of the Fuselage?

I am curious about what kind of mount is holding the plane in some of the shots. It is easy to see, in close up video from above the plane, that the Viggen was attached to something else. It didn't take away from the video at all, just wondering what it was

Cheers
PfiberOptik

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I am curious about what kind of mount is holding the plane in some of the shots. It is easy to see, in close up video from above the plane, that the Viggen was attached to something else. It didn't take away from the video at all, just wondering what it was

Cheers
PfiberOptik

To me it looked like a camera rig to film the outside of the Viggen while flying it. I'm guessing it was two cameras to balance it out with a free rotating pivot point.

It threw me off too. It got great aerial footage though.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
HAHAHA! When David ran for the flaming Viggen I died laughing.

Epic build, great flight characteristics.
I'm really short on funds and time, but this is a spring break build for sure.

Definitely the best episode ever!

DDSFlyer

Love this episode! There are so many things to love, great plane, great design, great editing, great views and flying, it could go on and on.... Congrats to Flite Test and David for such a great plane and culmination of such hard work! You guys rock! I wish I had the talent to fly this plane but it may be awhile. Such an awesome episode I'll watch over and over again and share with my friends.

That is epic!! What an amazing plane and an absolutely outstanding FT review video!
Nothing like warming your hands over a hot Viggen fire haha!! :D

Well Done!

DennisSwe

Will build one for sure!! =)
The first one built will be as a pusher, because I dont have a EDF at the moment and I really really really want a Viggen to fly. haha =D

PfiberOptik

To me it looked like a camera rig to film the outside of the Viggen while flying it. I'm guessing it was two cameras to balance it out with a free rotating pivot point.

It threw me off too. It got great aerial footage though.

Looks like you guessed right. On the Flite Test site, in the little update box, there is a link to a picture of it on FB. It obviously flies but sure looks like it shouldn't!

Cheers!
PfiberOptik

Please upload the sticker template as a blank template? That way modelers can download and paint/fill the templates to their preferences and then have the stickers printed. I assume the stickers add to durability for the plane even as they add weight.