FT War Hawk vs Mustang vs Spitfire

Spitfire1

I've been flying these 3 planes for the last 6 weeks and I've been really enjoying them. They are all very similar in the way they fly, but there are differences. My hope is folks come in here and comment about their experiences with these planes and how they compare. BTW, I'm talking about the FT full sized, non master's versions.

I'll start with my opinions and observations in the next post. I've run C packs in all of the planes with a 9x6 prop. I've now switched the Mustang to a 35-36 motor, and the War Hawk has been running the 35-36 for awhile. I'm running 10x7 props in both now.

I've ordered a variety pack of props to try out on the 3 planes. Specifically, the APC 9x6, 8x8, 9x9, 10x7 and a 10x8. I should get them in early this week. I'll be flying various combinations and will post on here my observations. The C pack can run the 9x6 and 8x8 (I believe), so I'll compare those. The 35-36 can run them all and I'll try them all. I really am most interested in what kind of speed I can achieve with the 35-36 with a 9x9 (but realize, top speed is based on many factors). For now, I'm running 3s 2200 batteries for these flight tests. I have 8 of these batteries so I can easily test the different combos back to back, providing a better comparison. Here are the contestants........(please don't hesitate to chime in on your own experiences with these planes)

View attachment 168557
I am a novice at this hobby and tried my hand with the ST Standard Spitfire. I have had terrible luck. Kept nosing in on me. I am using the FT C pack with the 10x4.7 SF props it comes with and an 1800mah 3S battery. I thought I had the CG correct, isn't it located at the spare? I then added landing gear because I have gone through three props already. It lifted off, then banked left and nosed in again. I can't keep this in the air. Is this a novice thing? It would be great if someone could give some pointers for us newbies on how to keep a plane in the air. I would really like to have an experience like everyone else is talking about with these warbirds.

danskis

Master member
@Spitfire1 - you are not alone. The one pictured above is my third one over a year and a half. The first one I gave up on because it would turn to the left on launch and I didn't know what to do to get it to fly straight - I threw it out after the last crash. Since then there have been multiple threads by beginners wondering how to get the Spitfire to fly straight on launch. The last thread the guy just put in some preset rudder to one side. Oddly enough the one pictured above just started doing a right hook on launch after multiple successful hand launches so it's back to the bungee launch to try and figure out why its doing that. It is still one of my favorite planes. Plus, after you build a few of them they get really easy to build. I believe you are correct that the CG is under the spar - balanced with the plane upside down.

Spitfire1

Oh, I have been balancing it right side up. I will flip it over next time. My second flight, and crash (with landing gear) tore up the end of the left wing, launched the battery and tore off the left landing gear. I have repairs before I try again. I asked David with Flite Test and his recommendation that he got from someone there was that I give it up elevator and right aileron (right joystick right and back) to counter the left bank and nose down. Maybe my CG was off too. I just wonder how long it is going to take me to be successful.

ThatPolishHotdog

Oh, I have been balancing it right side up. I will flip it over next time. My second flight, and crash (with landing gear) tore up the end of the left wing, launched the battery and tore off the left landing gear. I have repairs before I try again. I asked David with Flite Test and his recommendation that he got from someone there was that I give it up elevator and right aileron (right joystick right and back) to counter the left bank and nose down. Maybe my CG was off too. I just wonder how long it is going to take me to be successful.

Balancing the plane right side up or upside down doesn't matter, but rather it is CG placement. I have the most hours behind a spitfire, and I can tell you two things.

1. Balancing on the spar is nice, it's "perfect" and makes the plane very pitchy on a light setup (which is my style). This can result in a not so beginner friendly plane. Balancing on the 1st bend that makes airfoil behind the leading edge takes away some maneuverability and pitchyness. Balance it there if you have trouble.

2. The spit will always want to turn left, ALWAYS on take off when using a motor bigger than a 2214. For example, I have a heavier MK 9 spit that had a 1100 kv (now 880kv) motor with a 10x5/9x6 prop. It always wanted to swerve left due to torque. Another spit I have, my MK 4, has a smaller 2212 1000 kv motor and a 9x5 prop. Absolutely zero pull to the left on takeoff. That's just how warbirds are. I normally throw with my left to help me control the plane on takeoff.

Spitfire1

@ThatPolishHotdog , Well, it would have been nice for the FT guruies to inform us of that. Their videos always make things look so easy. I am using the 2218/1180kv motor with the 10x4.7SF prop. When you say you "throw with my left to help you control the plane on take off" what are you saying? Are you giving it right rudder? Thanks for any clarification. I only started in this hobby the beginning of the year, so I am a novice.

ThatPolishHotdog

@ThatPolishHotdog , Well, it would have been nice for the FT guruies to inform us of that. Their videos always make things look so easy. I am using the 2218/1180kv motor with the 10x4.7SF prop. When you say you "throw with my left to help you control the plane on take off" what are you saying? Are you giving it right rudder? Thanks for any clarification. I only started in this hobby the beginning of the year, so I am a novice.

By the way, it is sure nice to be able to converse with the 'experts' when I am struggling.

They do make it look easy! I mean that I throw the plane (underhand) with my left hand, chin on the throttle, and right hand on the right stick for aileron and elevator. Here's my youtube if you want to see how I launch them. If you notice, my mk 9 maiden, the plane immediately pull left, due to the lager "c-pack" motor. watching my mk 4 video, with the smaller "b-pack" motor, you can see there is barely any pull to the left.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSN_7OzfNplw4cOjCHhidg

Welcome to the club! I hope all this info helps you. Good luck on getting your spitty in the air!

Marty72

Elite member
I am a novice at this hobby and tried my hand with the ST Standard Spitfire. I have had terrible luck. Kept nosing in on me. I am using the FT C pack with the 10x4.7 SF props it comes with and an 1800mah 3S battery. I thought I had the CG correct, isn't it located at the spare? I then added landing gear because I have gone through three props already. It lifted off, then banked left and nosed in again. I can't keep this in the air. Is this a novice thing? It would be great if someone could give some pointers for us newbies on how to keep a plane in the air. I would really like to have an experience like everyone else is talking about with these warbirds.

Yes it's a novice thing. I'm going to tell you things you probably aren't going to want to hear. First, ditch the landing gear, you aren't ready from them yet. If you are a beginner, you will do a lot of damage trying to land with the gear. The landing gear isn't helpful when you are learning. Second, build a more beginner friendly plane. I highly recommend the Ft Scout. Build it without gear and learn to land launch that plane. Then add gear later, it's a great plane to learn landings and take offs with and you can easily remove/attach the gear.

Everyone wants to fly a warbird, me included, but it is best to work you way up. The Spitfire in my opinion is the best flying of the non masters level design by ft but it shouldn't be your first plane. You can always come back to this plane or build another. If you aren't already, build from scratch, you will learn a lot and won't feel so bad about destroying planes. BTW, I've got hundreds of flights on the FT Spitfire, but I've also built 5 of them in less than a year. BTW, I still don't run gear on the FT warbirds. Why, well first it slows them down (landing gear creates a lot of drag, the drag numbers suggest about 18%). They just fly better without gear and they can belly land on anything. The Spitfire is a great glider, and come in smooth without any throttle. For example, I have a Mustang 1.2 meter eflite with retracts, and when I drop the gear, you can see the plane slow down, it's quite surprising.

The bank to the left is called TORQUE ROLL. It happens during take off if you don't have enough ground speed before you throttle up and try to elevate the plane. It also happens on hand launch. It's a tough thing to deal with (hand launch), too much throttle, torque roll, too little throttle and you stall out. Hand launching just takes a lot of practice. That's where a plane like the FT Scout comes in, easy plane to build, easy flying and a better introduction to this hobby. There are other FT beginner planes too, but I've had a lot of success with the Scout, built 4 or 5 of them too. A great take off and landing trainer too. I learned so much with that plane.

As far as balance, I've made mention of where I found the best balance positions in this thread. I tend to fly a little nose heavy, tail heavy is the worst. You can balance top or bottom, which ever way you feel is the most consistent.

Good luck.....lots of stuff in these forums. Go to the lessons learned area, that might be helpful. A lot of this stuff you just learn on your own, that's part of the fun.