FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
After reading a lot on the fpvlabs leaderboard, it became clear that a limiting factor for pushing really high alt is that the air at high altitude is so thin that props have to spin extremely fast to produce enough thrust (the other is the ambient -30°c but thats something else)
so I decided to make a variable pitch prop using folding prop blades, I havent started CAD work yet but theorically a simple ceramic bearing and a few printed parts could do the job. Could also help for planes like the mini talon that are hard to launch but can aquire a good high end pitch, provide lots of static thrust at launch then increase the pitch angle to produce less static thrust but more pitch speed for more efficient cruising.
In short, like real airplanes do.
I will have to work on that, it could be useful.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Sweet idea! Going to put some work in my design tonight.
I am going to put some foam tubes together maybe just with some dowels and see if it will somewhat glide plus find a somewhat balance point. The model itself everything can slide on a 7.6 cf arrow tube I have and I am going to make a battery tray that will also hang from the tube and be adjustable that way. Who knows , the most I am going to waste is time, minimal foam and filament. :)

The other thing I thought of if this doesn't work I can print off another front section and turn it into a 4 setup , 4 elevons :D :D

mach1 rc

Master member
Still working on the zero it is taking so long because of continually printer problems. So far its turning out pretty nice. The wingspan is a huge 50 inches with a length somewhere around 36 inches hoping it's not to big🤔.
15765433893691140854471998312498.jpg

F106DeltaDart

Elite member

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
No problem! Helicopters are definitely a good bit pricier than fixed wing. Unlike airplanes, helicopters require a flight controller, and a lot of specialty machined parts in order to function. If there is any slight imbalance or slop, it can effect the aircraft badly.

Then I guess I'll stick with fixed wing.:)

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Then I guess I'll stick with fixed wing.:)
Don’t completely count them out. I really recommend that everyone try a heli at some point. Its a totally different type of flying, and lots of fun. I wouldn’t start with a scale heli though, something like the Blade 230S V2 is a great heli trainer. I fly a mix of airplanes and helis, and I can easily say that scale choppers have become my favorite corner of the hobby, despite all the difficulies.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Don’t completely count them out. I really recommend that everyone try a heli at some point. Its a totally different type of flying, and lots of fun. I wouldn’t start with a scale heli though, something like the Blade 230S V2 is a great heli trainer. I fly a mix of airplanes and helis, and I can easily say that scale choppers have become my favorite corner of the hobby, despite all the difficulies.

I did have a WLtoys V911 heli a few years back. Fixed pitch. I had a lot of fun with it for a couple months until something happened with the gyro, it didn't fly at all after that. Maybe I'll get back in to it when I have more money. I can't afford Helis AND fixed wing right now. Thanks for the info!

L Edge

Master member
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Some how without a controller/gyro I think it will be a short movie :)

Your right, it will match your avatar-- It will be one "wildthing". Point to make-most gyros only can be used with servos, not connected to motors. That's why a flight controller is needed.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member