FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

DMC RC

DMC RC
On topic though, I had a good Wednesday fly at my local winter indoor club "Barn Owls". The Hobbyzone sport cub s never disappoints. :D

We fly in down at a park that used to be a naval air station during WWII. One of the hangars was converted to be a tennis center but when the tennis center moved to a new building the hangar was empty it is used for events now and then but we take it over two Wednesdays a month. It's cool to think that we are flying RC in a hangar that used to house F4F wildcats, F6F Hellcats and F4U corsairs back in the day. :rolleyes:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I got a Truggy for Christmas!!!

Its a 1/8 scale Basher Sabertooth. It runs on two 5000mah 2S in series. Top stock speed is about 43 mph. I’ve FPV’d it with a RunCam Micro Swift 2 (to monitor voltage on the OSD) and a random 200mW VTX.

Last edited:

Phoenix 24

I bought a parallel charging board for some 1s lipos but don't know how to use it...I am using a charger that has a lipo and a ni-mh setting, lipo setting needs a balance plug to start charging... Idk what I'm supposed to do to charge them...please help.
On a side note I crashed my arrow. I went into a dive and when I went to pull up I had nothing. Either I overloaded my little 12 amp with those 9 grams or I hit a dead zone in the feild. Either way the plane's totalled and I'm going to make another one! 20180101_171220.jpg (I had already stripped the frame of the servos and other electronics)

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Last night I went Tiny Whoop Racing in a black light indoor golf course http://www.1nvrc.com/tiny-whoop-indoor-racing/ and destroyed my old race record! :applause:

In the last year of on-and-off Tiny Whooping I've never been able to do more than 2 laps - often only 1 lap - in the time allotted for each heat. But thanks to a forum member here asking questions about how to get an Inductrix to actually behave right, and researching settings on their behalf, I came up with an all new set of rates and expos for my own use too.

And wow is it working better for me! I completed 2 or 3 laps per heat on a course that was more technically challenging than I ever flew on before - so my skillz are progressing much faster now! :applause: My final score at the end of the night was still a 7 compare to the leaders who were in the 27-30 range, but it's way better than the 3 which was my previous best!

So here's a toast to sucking less on the Tiny Whoops! :black_eyed:

jaredstrees

Well done on the race improvement Rockyboy!

Finished up a new mm corsair last night. last one had too many alignment issues after my flysky fst6 decided to have another brownout. Luckily, that crash prompted my significant other to tell me to get a new TX. Still learning the taranis, but SOOOOOO much better than the old flysky.

Now I'm going to pop a battery in my little helion animus (not really an animus anymore except for the frame) and do some drifting through my warehouse. We're a little slow with the cold weather!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well done Rockboy and congrats on the skill gain. I finally got around to putting together the FT3d I have had sitting here since FFE17. I noticed even in the vacuum seal plastic it looked like it might be starting to twist so I figured I better get it built before it turns into a cork screw. I "borrowed" the C pack from the set Tom got for the FW42 earlier this year since it was sitting there taunting me. I will replace it before the weather is good enough to actually put a plane in the air anyways.

Next on the list is to rewire the Turrets and Cameras for the Big Fw 42 as the 10 core ribbon cable arrived this afternoon. Hoping that the lighter gauge non solid wire as well as going to using a Quad PDB with regulators and the bonus OSD will solve the burning out servos and voltage regulators since the old school radio shack ones I had sitting around were extremely unhappy with current draws over heavier wire on such long runs. Should make for a more neater set up as well so there is not a massive birds nest / inductive antenna running the full length of this monster build.

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm with these HUGE winter storms tearing across the States.

jaredstrees

Woo hoo, just ordered an Anet A8 3d printer! now the wait for the postman begins! If anyone has any tips and tricks I'm all ears!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator

Phoenix 24

Went to the AMA Expo in Ontario today. Got a 80mm edf, I didn't realize how bug it was till after I bought it! I got a deal on it and a 85amp esc. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to stuff it in a viggen possibly! I'm planning on doing that or slapping it on a versa wing.

Any ideas on what I can use it for are welcome!

Last edited:

jaredstrees

Thanks JimCR20! I've got about two weeks before it shows up. Let the learning begin! At least I don't have a plane on the workbench at the moment, so that frees up some time. I'm sure I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head, but 3D printing has intrigued me for a while. Always been a little too pricey to just pick one to try it out!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I just got a new irange stm32 multi-protocol module to replace all my diy spektrum (thanks rockyboy for the parts!), anylink slt module, and turnigy fhss module. Those last two modules connect via the trainer port and require their own lipo/ power source, so they are a pain to use (one more thing to charge).

I just flashed the latest software onto it and tested out a new configuration for the dromida ominus rtf quad. Works well but I'm not quite sure I have all the gyro rates and flight modes set correctly. So much better control with my taranis x9d+ and the multi module connected via serial/ sbus vs the toy controller it comes with.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks JimCR20! I've got about two weeks before it shows up. Let the learning begin! At least I don't have a plane on the workbench at the moment, so that frees up some time. I'm sure I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head, but 3D printing has intrigued me for a while. Always been a little too pricey to just pick one to try it out!
I have to credit my youngest son for getting me into RC and now 3D printing. I had been interested in both but held off because of the initial investment. He bought me my 1st RC plane and last month my CR-10.

The spools I have are mostly 8" in diameter. Last night I picked up another plastic tub for < $4 from Home Depot to store my filaments. Now instead of throwing away all those design packs that come in everything I toss them in the tub.

jaredstrees

Maidened the grunjet from Grifflyer yesterday. This plane flies sweet. If you've got a 50mm edf lying around build one!
GRUNTOP.JPG

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I decided to build a connector board for a old charger that was given to me two years ago, the charger itself is much older being from around 2008
DSC_8167.JPG

Last edited:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yesterday I got started on a build that I have been waiting a while to start. I basically made a 15" wingspan explorer and bought some 3 in quad stuff from BG. According to my calculations on 2s it should have a 3 to 1 power to weight ratio, I can't wait to get it flying! I also got another 25mw fpv cam to put on it once the snow goes away.

jaredstrees

Found a pic of it by googling rc plane rack. Then just built it to my specs. It's all 1" pvc. took about 30 or 40 ft plus fittings. I'll try and take a few more pics from other angles.