FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

duckduckgoose

Built and flew a 120% ft arrow today, flies just like the original but better wind penetration and more glide and (main reason) more room for a bigger battery). Also it was very very fast running on a 1800 mah 4s and a 2216 1250kv motor with a 9x4.5 prop. Makes a very satisfying howl. Managed a 9 min flight all the while screaming around. Also added a skid under the wing to provide protection from the gravel landings. Spear for scale
IMG_20200205_133255.jpg
IMG_20200205_145819.jpg
IMG_20200205_184149.jpg

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Built and flew a 120% ft arrow today, flies just like the original but better wind penetration and more glide and (main reason) more room for a bigger battery). Also it was very very fast running on a 1800 mah 4s and a 2216 1250kv motor with a 9x4.5 prop. Makes a very satisfying howl. Managed a 9 min flight all the while screaming around. Also added a skid under the wing to provide protection from the gravel landings. Spear for scale
View attachment 156845 View attachment 156846 View attachment 156847
Those look awesome, love the wing tape.

Any video of them flying?

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
View attachment 156845 View attachment 156846 View attachment 156847
The arrow on the right looks kinda like the Maryland flag...

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Well this isn't exactly RC at all but it is an interesting bit of history. I was helping my grandfather clean out his storage unit today and I came across his Navy sea bag. He had served on a destroyer in the late '50s, I don't know the exact years. He let me take it home so I could go through it and see what he had, but I wasn't expecting what I found.
IMG_20200207_160253.jpg

6 complete uniforms, two of which are dress uniforms, plus a few extra shirts and pants, all with minimal wear. The blue uniforms were in a plastic bag and are in perfect condition while some the white ones are a little yellowed. He's kept his service dress cap in his office so it wasn't in the bag. The only disappointing thing is that I'm 5' 11" so none of it fits me haha.

What did I do RC today? Hmmm...
I adjusted the thrust angle on the V-tail Arrowhead last night so there's that. That counts, right?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well this isn't exactly RC at all but it is an interesting bit of history. I was helping my grandfather clean out his storage unit today and I came across his Navy sea bag. He had served on a destroyer in the late '50s, I don't know the exact years. He let me take it home so I could go through it and see what he had, but I wasn't expecting what I found.
View attachment 157103

6 complete uniforms, two of which are dress uniforms, plus a few extra shirts and pants, all with minimal wear. The blue uniforms were in a plastic bag and are in perfect condition while some the white ones are a little yellowed. He's kept his service dress cap in his office so it wasn't in the bag. The only disappointing thing is that I'm 5' 11" so none of it fits me haha.

I adjusted the thrust angle on the V-tail Arrowhead last night so there's that. That counts, right?
That's cool, grandpa didn't look like he was a big dude, my first impression before I read your post that they were kids cloths :) .

Vimana89

Legendary member
My action cam fully crapped out as far as recording and indicator lights, but I can still get what footage I have off it. Good thjing I'm going shopping for RC parts and stuff tonight or tomorrow, I'll order a new one, maybe a slightly classier one, as it was like an $18 bottom of the barrel camera.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
View attachment 157103

Holy crap!! My grandpa was stationed in Japan in the late 50s. Joined straight out of high school in 54. Honestly I thought it was pretty cool until he told me most of his job was listening to morse code all day lol.

My dad also described my hobby today as "taking large pieces of wood and making them into small pieces of wood" and I don't really fault him.

synjin

Elite member
Nothing today, but spent the weekend trying to get a 3 inch quad up and running (too windy to fly...after weeks of subzero weather). After replacing the receiver and Betaflight-ing all Sunday afternoon, I discovered one of the ESCs in the 4 in 1 card was burned out. Sigh. Fixed wing is just sooooo much simpler.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Found this video while cruising around YT
Check it out...
I shared this on FB, it would be appreciated if you all did the same. The message needs to get out to not only our RC community but to anyone who enjoys the rights and freedoms of democracy. If this is allowed to continue concerning the NPRM that affects us, imagine what our elected governments will do with the rest of our rights. Just sayin

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Found this video while cruising around YT
Check it out...
I shared this on FB, it would be appreciated if you all did the same. The message needs to get out to not only our RC community but to anyone who enjoys the rights and freedoms of democracy. If this is allowed to continue concerning the NPRM that affects us, imagine what our elected governments will do with the rest of our rights. Just sayin

unfortunately the fact that the government is never going to understand is that they cannot accurately govern a hobby they themselves do not participate in. It's the same situation that happens when video game developers don't play their own game or listen to the community.

I can guarantee the only reason this NPRM was put forward is because someone is having their pockets stuffed.

Oh well, if it becomes law one day, I'll just go back to racing 1/8 buggies since that's how I got into RC in the first place, and no one cares about cars...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
unfortunately the fact that the government is never going to understand is that they cannot accurately govern a hobby they themselves do not participate in. It's the same situation that happens when video game developers don't play their own game or listen to the community.

I can guarantee the only reason this NPRM was put forward is because someone is having their pockets stuffed.

Oh well, if it becomes law one day, I'll just go back to racing 1/8 buggies since that's how I got into RC in the first place, and no one cares about cars...
The stuffing of the pockets as far as this hobby goes, even if it is something that most have just seen the light on, has always been, and will always be the way its done. What needs to happen is for the people who the government works for and represents, to stands up. It's not the financially benefitting organizations that are the majority, the people are. It's just to bad that money speaks louder then the people. I get it.

But if the people roll over and let this happen, what's next? What other rights are you willing to give up? What other freedoms can you live without? Not just in the hobby, but in all other facets of your life. What else can the major corporations lobby the government into taking away from you. That's the real point. You give them an inch, they will take a mile.

I have a feeling this will go down as well as prohibition where this hobby won't disappear, it will just go underground. You will hear of raids on homes of guys selling drones in secret, like a drug bust. People will be whispering to friends asking if they know a guy where they can pick up some cheap motors or if they know of a private farm to fly at. It makes me wonder what kind of world my kids, or my kids kids will be living in. Soon you will need a license to ride a skateboard. Where does it stop

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
The stuffing of the pockets as far as this hobby goes, even if it is something that most have just seen the light on, has always been, and will always be the way its done. What needs to happen is for the people who the government works for and represents, to stands up. It's not the financially benefitting organizations that are the majority, the people are. It's just to bad that money speaks louder then the people. I get it.

But if the people roll over and let this happen, what's next? What other rights are you willing to give up? What other freedoms can you live without? Not just in the hobby, but in all other facets of your life. What else can the major corporations lobby the government into taking away from you. That's the real point. You give them an inch, they will take a mile.

I have a feeling this will go down as well as prohibition where this hobby won't disappear, it will just go underground. You will hear of raids on homes of guys selling drones in secret, like a drug bust. People will be whispering to friends asking if they know a guy where they can pick up some cheap motors or if they know of a private farm to fly at. It makes me wonder what kind of world my kids, or my kids kids will be living in. Soon you will need a license to ride a skateboard. Where does it stop
It seems no matter what hobby I pick someone is trying to ban it.