FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Thanks lol. My brain isn't functioning 🤣.
Everything in front of the wing exploded, but the battery didnt unplug, so the plane dove straight down, and that added bit of mass from the battery did most of the damage lol. If it was without the pack, I probably could have saved it
Wait what it exploded? Like did the motor come off and the prop raised hell upon everything at the front of the plane? (I had that happen once with a nitro so it was extra scary lol)

OliverW

Legendary member
Wait what it exploded? Like did the motor come off and the prop raised hell upon everything at the front of the plane? (I had that happen once with a nitro so it was extra scary lol)
It didn't make any bad noises like anything was loose or the prop was unbalanced, there was just a pop, and plastic was falling from the sky lol

Bricks

Master member
a few drops of CA will clear all that up ;)

How exactly do those work? I've heard of them but never actually tried one. I assume all it is is just some way to directly power the servos off of one battery while just routing the signal wires to the reciever, and if that's really all it is, I don't think it would be too difficult to hand-make one.

So this means that my hypothetical electronics setup would look like this: one battery running all the servos and the servos only connected to the receiver via the signal wire, while the reciever is run by one of the four ESC's BEC, all the other ESCs having their power cables from the BEC disconnected?

If you would want to keep it simple, solder + - for as many srervos as you need to battery lead, be sure battery voltage is compatable with servos. I would use servo connectors on the battey lead so servos can be changed if needed. Yes on the ESC BEC.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I will just leave this here for @Vimana89 to play with...
I've seen this one before, a really nice basic design. Not something I'm interested in at the moment though, it's about at the level of all the most simple 3ch planes I've already been designing myself, so while cool, nothing new. I'm focusing a lot more on 4ch lately and trying new stuff, though deltas are still of course part of that here and there. I'm doing a lot of KFM-ish stuff and basic air foils lately, swept wings and forward swept wings, and other stuff that's new(to me). I appreciate the tag though, it's a cool little plane and I kind of like the tractor prop in slot thing.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The main thing that spurred me to really start getting into air foils and up my game/move out of my comfort zone was a video I watched about KFM that explained something about flat plate wings to me that I'd already noticed on some of my own designs. They pitch up and down at high speeds, besides not being very strong. A spar can solve the strength, but I don't think it solves the pitch to my knowledge, because that's air flow mumbo jumbo. If you aren't planning on flying a given plane particularly fast, a flat plate wing is fine, especially with deltas and strong, big chord wing types. It's good for floaty, high alpha, and 3d stuff, but at high speeds it's got that nasty pitch flutter.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I hate moving! Had to move all my airplanes from their carefully organized storage in the basement because I had to repaint it, because no one is going to buy an ugly house.

You only realize the true amount of junk you've accumulated when you go to try and move all of it. And this is just the first room I filled up...

P_20200223_154036.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I hate moving! Had to move all my airplanes from their carefully organized storage in the basement because I had to repaint it, because no one is going to buy an ugly house.

You only realize the true amount of junk you've accumulated when you go to try and move all of it. And this is just the first room I filled up...

View attachment 159317
Lol, you have so many nice planes! I just have a collection of foam board planes... I really want some nice balsa or even pnp planes.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Lol, you have so many nice planes! I just have a collection of foam board planes... I really want some nice balsa or even pnp planes.

Get building then! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Better yet, go to swap meets/garage sales/antique malls and the like. I got the Avistar for $80 and the Kadet as an unassembled ARF for $130 at a swap meet simply because the guy had too many planes and just wanted to downsize. I actually got the Cub kit for free! (It was missing a lot of parts though) None had engines but that wasn't really a problem as I have an unreasonable amount of those.

This is just the actually nice ones that were photo worthy. All the crappy foamies got stuffed into another room (Except the Flying Green Screen - that plane is such a legend it will live on forever or at least until it inevitably dies in combat at FF20)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Better yet, go to swap meets/garage sales/antique malls and the like. I got the Avistar for $80 and the Kadet as an unassembled ARF for $130 at a swap meet simply because the guy had too many planes and just wanted to downsize. I actually got the Cub kit for free! (It was missing a lot of parts though) None had engines but that wasn't really a problem as I have an unreasonable amount of those.

This is just the actually nice ones that were photo worthy. All the crappy foamies got stuffed into another room (Except the Flying Green Screen - that plane is such a legend it will live on forever or at least until it inevitably dies in combat at FF20)
Yeah, issue is I’m cash depleted, so fb is kinda my only option... And I also like being able to push myself and not worry about crashing!

OliverW

Legendary member

I have some swap meets I am going to stop by soon! I also have a flea market not far from my house that I saw a few kits at awhile ago..

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I will start that gentle lady one of these weeks though!
Go for it! Make a thread too. I want to see what you do differently than me and maybe learn some too.

I still have yet to maiden mine. I haven't really been out to fly at all, half because of business and half because of garbage weather - and maybe 1% not having anyone to tow it (the field is decently active so there's usually someone there to bother into launching it - except for the one time I brought it with me!) I did test the thing by chucking it off of my second story roof, which revealed two things: one, it glides super damn well, and two, I still need a little more nose weight. It seems the CG position on the plan is a little off.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Could I get someone to test out my FW190 when I'm done, cuz I'm kinda broke
Possibly - it depends on who many builds I have going on and how many are waiting to be done! :LOL: I have a lot of projects at the moment, but once you have plans, hit me up with them and I’ll see if I can test it for you. :)

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I haven't really been motivated to build anything lately, I've been really tired and kind of busy with some other projects but I finally rebuild the V-tailed Arrowhead. I should be able to fly it with my Part 107 class in 2 weeks. There are some guys in the class who'll help me learn to fly it so I'm not to keen on trying it out before then.
I'm a little bit salty* about the FAA right now, hence the pirate colors. I'll put my sky pirates flag on it tomorrow.

*Human language is not sufficient to describe how salty I am, therefore I will not attempt to.
IMG_20200226_184554.jpg

I moved all the electronics underneath so it looks a lot cleaner than the last one. The stripes are secretly for orientation, but they look good too.

IMG_20200226_184605.jpg

HighDesertSkyPirates.jpg