FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Namactual

Elite member
Almost done...
F-15AUpdate1.jpg
The prints are done. The painting is almost done.
I need to work on the colors a bit and a few other details. The big thing I have to do is paint the 2D vector nozzles which I plan to do tomorrow. I am done for the night though.:sleep:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
hope everyone is well.

after issue, after issue, after failure, after more issues, and more failures, the Micro-Demaon is finally ready to maiden. ever since my first attempt at "micro" i have always said, the smaller the harder. when building your typical FT airplane, your margin of error is huge. you can completely screw up almost everything and it will still fly. with this, there is almost zero margin and weight is everything. 1/10 of a gram can make huge differences.

but...thankfully, if you stick with it you can hopefully make it work. :sneaky: i personally give it 75/25 odds on good vs. complete failure. :unsure:

Emax-1306-4000kv w AVAN Rush 2.5x1.9x3 prop, w/ a 3S-300 80/160C battery, and AUW 78g.

20200411_163942.jpg

also an update on the ferris wheel. printed all the parts. have the main wheel assembled and could not be happier. designed the A-frame for the main supports today and will start print soon.

20200410_171425.jpg

20200411_173041.jpg

also salvaged a micro f-27 delta wing. one of my club buddies crashed his balsa demon the other day making our demon racing league a little more difficult. so, he took all the parts and put them on a UMX Delta ray and said he could still race. tomorrow we will see who is faster. if he beats my f-27, i'm pretty sure i got him with the demon.

20200410_125237.jpg

laters,

me :cool:

Namactual

Elite member
That is awesome. (y)
I actually went to Amazon right after I saw this and almost ordered it until I read the reviews. I guess the motors don't last long.:cry: I never use the fans much anyway, but $300 is a little hard to justify for something that does not work.

I got a bit more done on the active skin...
F-15XAUpdate2.jpg F-15XAUpdate3.jpg
I painted the 2D thrust vector nozzles.
Adjusted the colors a bit.
Added the blue stripe.
Shrunk the canards by about 10%.

It looks better, but I need to work on the blue stripe a bit. There needs to be more of a curve starting at about the wing leading edge. Easy enough to fix now that the lines match up on the adjacent parts.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Well I've seen several of my designs popping up in this thread, so time to pop in with my own plane for once. I turned my foamboard Deamon into a plywood, carbon, and balsa monster. Only 27" span and drastically faster than its foamboard predecessors. Absolutely loving this one! Yes, the video is technically a product advertisement, but with stupid slow internet I can only get so many videos up.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well my wife's blow dryer quit for the 4th time and this time it is done so let's see if I can fit a motor into it and see what kind of thrust this thing can produce. Definitely a different concept of blades, the sharp pointed ends are the intake side of it.

View attachment 165544 View attachment 165545 View attachment 165546 View attachment 165547

Update on this guy. :) Fitted a 3500 kv motor into it , bolt pattern was even the same :D . Had to drill out the knurled bushing from the impellor to for the motor shaft and together it went.
It actually pushed a lot of air and even once it sucked a piece of paper towel a foot away and I now have shredded towel everywhere. :D All was good and I started to get up to 1/2 throttle and just as I was thinking about maybe putting in in a scatter shield of some kind BOOM, it boke off all the blades. There was only 4 and I found 3 but haven't found the fourth one yet.

2020_0414_152346_001.JPG
2020_0414_152352_002.JPG
2020_0414_154032_001.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well you have an awesome duct so go ahead and 3D print a new impeller for it!
Update on this guy. :) Fitted a 3500 kv motor into it , bolt pattern was even the same :D . Had to drill out the knurled bushing from the impellor to for the motor shaft and together it went.
It actually pushed a lot of air and even once it sucked a piece of paper towel a foot away and I now have shredded towel everywhere. :D All was good and I started to get up to 1/2 throttle and just as I was thinking about maybe putting in in a scatter shield of some kind BOOM, it boke off all the blades. There was only 4 and I found 3 but haven't found the fourth one yet.

View attachment 165960 View attachment 165961 View attachment 165962

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I'm up in Kern county right now doing some work for my grandfather for a few days. I left my gliders at home thinking it would be more hassle than it's worth and that the weather wouldn't be right anyway...
Winds are great and I found a great hill to fly off next time I'm up here.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Anyone watch That 70's Show?

1587715297771.png

Shame I couldn't find the clip anywhere as it's quite funny (even though the pretty bipe gets smashed to pieces in the end...)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
was given this weird glider with a cox .50 mounted on a wing pod awhile ago.

20190605_151250 (1).jpg

i converted it to an electric with an emax 2205-2300kv on 4S.

20190607_120733.jpg

and yes, i did secure my wires before flight... :sneaky:

anyways, in all of our home isolation i started cleaning the hangar the other day and cam across a few old glories. this being one of them. while cleaning i also came across 2 bags, 1 with a motor, esc, and rx from a 2M radian. the other bag had the prop and adapters. perfect i thought...;)

a little while later we had chopped the nose off.

20200423_172421.jpg

now as always, the devil is in the details. i have a pile of prop and motor adapters but not a single one would match. once i found one (thanks Gaige) then the prop no longer fit over the shaft... :rolleyes:

so now we go to Tinkercad to design and build something to make it work.

20200424_142917.jpg

then to the slicer, Simplify3D...

20200424_144133.jpg

and then we have this...

20200424_153733.jpg

and eventually this...

20200424_155946.jpg

firewall is printing now. i was hoping for tomorrow but will probably re-maiden on sunday.

laters,

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
was given this weird glider with a cox .50 mounted on a wing pod awhile ago.

View attachment 167120

i converted it to an electric with an emax 2205-2300kv on 4S.

View attachment 167121

and yes, i did secure my wires before flight... :sneaky:

anyways, in all of our home isolation i started cleaning the hangar the other day and cam across a few old glories. this being one of them. while cleaning i also came across 2 bags, 1 with a motor, esc, and rx from a 2M radian. the other bag had the prop and adapters. perfect i thought...;)

a little while later we had chopped the nose off.

View attachment 167122

now as always, the devil is in the details. i have a pile of prop and motor adapters but not a single one would match. once i found one (thanks Gaige) then the prop no longer fit over the shaft... :rolleyes:

so now we go to Tinkercad to design and build something to make it work.

View attachment 167123

then to the slicer, Simplify3D...

View attachment 167124

and then we have this...

View attachment 167125

and eventually this...

View attachment 167126

firewall is printing now. i was hoping for tomorrow but will probably re-maiden on sunday.

laters,

Looks kinda like a gentle lady