FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Bruh
bruhmoment.png

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
my ADHD knows no bounds. i have too many projects on the table and instead of working on them i decide to design and build a custom wing. oh ya, and i'm using a twin motor setup, with a PDB that has never worked for me before. perfect use of time... :ROFLMAO:

so first thing was figuring out the motors, so i built a test platform and arrange props so thrust pushed into the table. issue was one would spin up @ 50% while the other at 100%. solved that problem but then they only worked at 50% throttle and above. a phone call and a throttle curve later and we had it figured out. both motors now spin equally and both respond correctly to the differential thrust from 0-100% throttle. what a pain... :rolleyes:

20200511_154719.jpg

a quick lay out of wing without the airfoil or vert stabs.

20200511_182700.jpg

final came in @ 148g AUW using 2x emax 1106-6000kv w/ 3035 3-blade, 2x 12A bullet opto ESC, and emax PDB using a 3S-460mah.

20200512_163422.jpg

CG is very close, probably tail heavy but we will try. when this one crashes and the next gets built the servos will move forward to help with the CG.

for a 1 day build that weighs 148g but has 360g of thrust i'm pretty tickled. we will see tomorrow when it maidens. i'm hoping for some epic pancake spins. these motors for being so small are terrifying. :LOL:

laters,

me :cool:

OliverW

Legendary member
my ADHD knows no bounds. i have too many projects on the table and instead of working on them i decide to design and build a custom wing. oh ya, and i'm using a twin motor setup, with a PDB that has never worked for me before. perfect use of time... :ROFLMAO:

so first thing was figuring out the motors, so i built a test platform and arrange props so thrust pushed into the table. issue was one would spin up @ 50% while the other at 100%. solved that problem but then they only worked at 50% throttle and above. a phone call and a throttle curve later and we had it figured out. both motors now spin equally and both respond correctly to the differential thrust from 0-100% throttle. what a pain... :rolleyes:

View attachment 168818

View attachment 168819

final came in @ 148g AUW using 2x emax 1106-6000kv w/ 3035 3-blade, 2x 12A bullet opto ESC, and emax PDB using a 3S-460mah.

View attachment 168820

CG is very close, probably tail heavy but we will try. when this one crashes and the next gets built the servos will move forward to help with the CG.

for a 1 day build that weighs 148g but has 360g of thrust i'm pretty tickled. we will see tomorrow when it maidens. i'm hoping for some epic pancake spins. these motors for being so small are terrifying. :LOL:

laters,

That thing is super cool!

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member

View attachment 168818

View attachment 168819

View attachment 168820

laters,

Foamboard is a great medium for us ADHD people

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so the little guy flew, and did pretty good.

i decided i should listen to ecal and adjusted the CG by adding 14g of lead to the nose. first flight flew right out of my hands and after some trim was perfect.

i then decided it was time to show off...

pancake spin, we got those in spades...that is until one motor stops and it spins slowly to the ground. upon inspection it seemed dirt had gotten in the motor? :unsure: because after clearing it i threw it right back up and it was perfect. did several more pancake spins and was able to correct out of all of them.

then, i started the speed runs.

it's quick and very responsive to the diff thrust. problem is at full throttle i think i'm pulling too much Amp and it's cutting out. i did several passes up and down wind and got same result. i will try some diff props friday and see if we can solve that prob. i am using the recommended setup for an H-pack so i should be fine. having built a few darts i have a hard time believing they are under 160g so weight should not be an issue.

so we finally come to my finally landing and for some reason a few feet off the ground i decided to correct with some rudder instead of aileron. this was not a good idea. these motors on this programing are like and on/off switch. you give the slightest rudder and things get crazy quick. as soon as i gave the rudder input it nosed hard right and into the bushes. once again unharmed, but certainly making a point.

i need to do some adjustments to the props and the programing, once i do i think this wing is gonna be fun. next will be an FPV setup and ditching that weight i just added to the nose.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
oh, i also did my first drone fpv chase of a plane. first try was chasing a P-50 racer, and i was way too slow. next was an FT Legacy and life was much better. was able to chase the whole take off, follow first turn, then catch several passes down the runway. it was fun. need to get a better quad with HD recording. i was only using a little whoop today. i have a few race drones but none have HD and adding the weight of my Gopro3 just kills performance and battery life. anyone know of a small, fast, HD-DVR ready drone? :p

laters,