FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
insert evil laughter... :devilish:

20200514_191011.jpg

i'm hoping the "big cut" takes place tomorrow and it all starts to move.

laters,

me :cool:

whackflyer

Master member
@whackflyer what do you think of the new night timber X? I’m gonna have to get one lol. I’m planning on selling my DJI spark to fund it - anybody interested? :)
That looks lit (pun intended😎😝). I'm not much of a fan of E-Flite planes simply because my friends have several that they've had a lot of trouble with both durability wise and with SAFE and stuff. My one buddy had a Maule that came without box damage but the plane was all messed up. (He probably should've submitted a warranty claim.) It's kindof just fallen apart on him since. Another friends timber has a unfindable rattle in the motor or firewall somewhere, and he constantly is adjusting the nuts that hold the wheels on. I do like UMX's tho. One thing I will admit, I'm slightly prejudiced against E-Flite just because they have so many fanboys and I want to be a little different 😝😂 Anyway, enough slamming E-Flite. If you want, I'd say go for it, but I think you'll find that night flying is fun but you just can't do what you can in the day. You can get a very capable plane for less money with the Tundra, just sayin. You can also run a common 3s 2200 in it instead of a 4s and it performs wonderfully. For me, a lot of a bush plane is realistic appearance, and that's one thing the Timber X lacks. Just my outlook, after all it's your decision and your money, I'll be stoked for you whatever you get!

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That looks lit (pun intended😎😝). I'm not much of a fan of E-Flite planes simply because my friends have several that they've had a lot of trouble with both durability wise and with SAFE and stuff. My one buddy had a Maule that came without box damage but the plane was all messed up. It's kindof just fallen apart on him since. Another friends timber has a unfindable rattle in the motor or firewall somewhere, and he constantly is adjusting the nuts that hold the wheels on. I do like UMX's tho. Anyway, enough slamming E-Flite. If you want, I'd say go for it, but I think you'll find that night flying is fun but you just can't do what you can in the day. You can get a very capable plane for less money with the Tundra, just sayin. You can also run a common 3s 2200 in it instead of a 4s and it performs wonderfully. For me, a lot of a bush plane is realistic appearance, and that's one thing the Timber X lacks. Just my outlook, after all it's your decision and your money, I'll be stoked for you whatever you get!
Yeah... I love UMX's as well! Which ones do you have? I think I'll try a scratch build Timber while I get the cash for the real one.

whackflyer

Master member
Yeah... I love UMX's as well! Which ones do you have? I think I'll try a scratch build Timber while I get the cash for the real one.
Sadly I don't have any UMX's🙈😝. I wish I did. I had a PT-17 that got smashed by a basketball... RIP. I build a lot of minis tho. I once built a mini FT Flyer with electrics from my buddy's wrecked UMX Timber. He now has a UMX F-27. That thing hauls.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sadly I don't have any UMX's🙈😝. I wish I did. I had a PT-17 that got smashed by a basketball... RIP. I build a lot of minis tho. I once built a mini FT Flyer with electrics from my buddy's wrecked UMX Timber. He now has a UMX F-27. That thing hauls.
Sweet! I’ve got an extra PT-17 I’d sell you if you wanted. They are one of my favorite UMX’s.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I maidened the simple 4ch tandem and delta I built over the last couple days, and both flew good. Delta needs a bit of trim and gathering more footage, but does all the basic aerobatics and high alpha, and will make a great beater to mash the sticks with that's easy to repair or replace. I already posted a good uncut maiden of the tandem. I also did some fleet maintenance, and reattached the motor to the '39 Special, and fixed the aileron that was out on the Arrowhead. I have a pretty big fleet at the moment, pretty much all of which fly great(Vector needs some attention and tweaking, Hawk Moth needs a little trim).

I plan to take a bit of a break from building to restock and organize supplies while I just fly and maintain what I have for now. When I get back into it, it may be at a slowed pace again for a while, but more sophisticated projects, one of which will be a full 4ch version of my forward wept low wing concept. I haven't designed or flown a lot of faster planes, and that would be a good design for me to focus more on speed and push myself to fly a bit faster. I've also been considering a 4ch version of the '39 Special with a 2 step KFM style air foil, which would be another for speed, and a full 4ch Arrowhead(would have to redesign the tail section a bit to make rudder work easily).

Other than that, who knows what might inspire me next...I may even do a twin engine build soon, or try an EDF again at some point. There's always different types of air foils to try too, but most of them are a bit complicated and time consuming when using a pencil and straight edge to design rather than a program, may have to take a look at how FT folds theirs for example, but still plenty I can do with and learn from flat plates and basic KF steps. I also have to learn to work in landing gear to some of my designs, and more protected props on others, it would make my props last longer.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I really needed a quick project to do, it's too hot to build anything really big so my U2 is waiting until cooler weather. I was in the mountains for a few days and I always like watching the crows and hawks ride the slopes all day. I've always admired crows, they're considered to be some of the smartest animals on the planet. I got the idea to build my own dlg wing designed to look like a crow.

Here's what I've got so far:
Blackbird.png

1m wingspan 3ch with elevons and rudder. The notches in the wingtips are an interesting part of bird anatomy that I haven't really seen replicated on man-made aircraft. The individual feathers at the wingtip act like several small wings, creating numerous small vortices instead of one big one to greatly reduce drag.
There's a lot of hawks in California, which poses a unique issue:

Hawks hate crows

Crows hate hawks too. Here in LA the birds have gangs too. I might have to fit a prop to this one for quick getaways, or for hit-and-runs.

Last edited: