FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Not to mention the radio interference... ive been thinking about fiberglass too. Ive got a bunch left over from various sailboat projects...
I hate fiberglass. Too many splinters lol.

I worked on my drone today, and got most everything done in betaflight. The only thing left for me to finish is the smartaudio. I'm having a heck of a time getting my VTX to even talk to the FC. No matter what I do, it still says the VTX isn't ready for smartaudio! I'm using an AKK infinite VTX and a Mamba F405 stack. @PsyBorg @JasonK @ElectriSean , do you have any ideas?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

I worked on my drone today, and got most everything done in betaflight. The only thing left for me to finish is the smartaudio. I'm having a heck of a time getting my VTX to even talk to the FC. No matter what I do, it still says the VTX isn't ready for smartaudio! I'm using an AKK infinite VTX and a Mamba F405 stack. @PsyBorg @JasonK @ElectriSean , do you have any ideas?

Can you show your wiring and betaflight smart audio config? (note I haven't done anything like this before, but a quick read on betaflight's wiki make it look fairly easy)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

If you are on the latest betaflight you have to set the VTX table up so betaflight knows what to change when smart audio is used.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
If you are on the latest betaflight you have to set the VTX table up so betaflight knows what to change when smart audio is used.
Does it need the correct VTX table to enable the vtx? Here's a pic.
WHY.PNG

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did you enable the correct uart port and connect the wire to the tx side of that port? also be aware when selcting the smart audio that the protocol is correct for the smart audio. Not all vtx are TBS smart audio.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Did you enable the correct uart port and connect the wire to the tx side of that port? also be aware when selcting the smart audio that the protocol is correct for the smart audio. Not all vtx are TBS smart audio.
Yes, I did. I just verified that the AKK infinite supports Smart audio.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yes, I did. I just verified that the AKK infinite supports Smart audio.

If you use the drop down menu where you select smart audio in the ports tab you will see TBS smart audio and smart audio. they are different so one of the two will not work no matter how its connected. Try swapping to the one you dont have currently selected and see if it all wakes up.

Tronglodon

Didn't get to fly today, but did do a little FPV DIY. First up is this homemade 5 turn helical 5.8 Ghz antenna. The 3d print files are available on the Far Vew website. It was pretty easy to hack together, and even though it looks a bit rough in spots it seems to work great. We'll know for sure once I get in the air. I also have been having problems with my video signal when I turn the plane around and fly back towards myself, I think probably because the video antenna is right in a line with the Crossfire antenna and the battery pack. So today I figured out that I could use an extension I had in the junk drawer to move the video antenna off to the side. Hopefully that helps, because otherwise I'm going to have to actually move the transmitter itself which would be a real hassle.
IMG_20200701_175606.jpg

I also made this little FPV box with my son just sort of on a whim this afternoon. It looks Really Rough, but works. We're calling it a proof of concept and we're going to find a nicer enclosure to build version 2.
20200701_172413.jpg