FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

JennyC6

Elite member
I built a 1/14 semi trailer out of a pallet.

unknown.png

TAmiya wants 507 dollars for a 48' corrugated dry van. I've got a 53' dry van in progress and I've so far spent precisely bupkiss. The tandems I already had from a previous build, the pallet came from something my parents ordered. All I have to do is throw some sweat equity at it....and run some mAh through my cordless drill...and voila. Trailer!

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member
Didn't run anything but I did let my inner shutterbug have a little fun!

unknown.png

Gonna run that monster truck tomorrow morning, then pop down to my LHS to peep all the used planes they just got in. Took three days for them to move it into the shop so I'm sure I'll find something there! I know for a fact there's a Hobbico Twinstar and if the price ain't too bad I'm buyin that thing...unless they have a Kaos. Kaos takes precedence.

JennyC6

Elite member
My LHS just got a HUGE shipment of secondhand stuff in and I had to help them with the space problem! My haul, for $200:

20200715_123217.jpg

On the left, a Hobbico TwinStar with two virgin OS 25FX two-strokes on it! The engines alone are worth what I paid for the whole lot, talk about a sweet score! One on the right..NFC what it is. Some sort of low wing 4ch commuter plane. Has a Super Tiger G60 Blue Head on it. Bloody ancient engine with the most basic of scavenging and the exhaust consists of a rotating baffle on the port linked to the throttle. It's a loud boi when it's on song but it's reasonably quiet on the runway.

20200715_123210.jpg

Closeup of the TwinStar. It's got a little hangar rash and a belly full of servos but I don't think it's ever seen fuel. The engines clearly haven't. I have my doubts it's ever actually flown.

They had two of these, but the other one had two locked up Evolution 36 engines on it. I've heard as many people swear by Evo two-strokes as I have swear at them, but I've never heard anyone swear at an OS, so I got the one with the OS mills. It's gonna fly sweet and I'll get to breaking the engines in probably tomorrow.

20200715_123203.jpg

Closeup of the other bird. It's a longshot, but if anyone knows what this thing is do let me know. I wanna say it's a piper commanche or maybe a cessna of similar ilk. Thicc boi symmetrical wing so it should be reasonably aerobatic.

20200715_134033.jpg

That's all it has for an exhaust system. It's loud. They didn't care about loud in the late 1950s early 1960s when this engine was designed. Luckily my flying field regularly hosts turbines so I don't think I'm gonna rustle any jimmies with the ruckus this thing produces...and hoo-lee does it make a ruckus.

Runs FLAWLESSLY too.

20200715_165821.jpg

Took a still of it with it running. It really does run a treat. Got video too; uploading and editing will take a bit but I should have a YT link or three at some point tonight or tomorrow.

This plane needs a little more work before I can fly it, but the engine's happy as can be. There's a lot of slop in the exhaust baffle which makes it want to idle high, the clunk in the fuel tank needs a longer and more noodly line in order for it to work properly, and it needs a full package of servos and electronics. I have enough servos on hand for it so I'll get to stuffing those in here shortly, rest I'll have to order in.

20200715_104239.jpg

And no, I'm not being facetious about helping them with floor space. This is only a small fraction of the aircraft they got in. Fun fact: You can see the TwinStar I didn't buy leaned up in the corner by the fuel cabinet.

OliverW

Legendary member
T
My LHS just got a HUGE shipment of secondhand stuff in and I had to help them with the space problem! My haul, for $200:

20200715_123217.jpg

On the left, a Hobbico TwinStar with two virgin OS 25FX two-strokes on it! The engines alone are worth what I paid for the whole lot, talk about a sweet score! One on the right..NFC what it is. Some sort of low wing 4ch commuter plane. Has a Super Tiger G60 Blue Head on it. Bloody ancient engine with the most basic of scavenging and the exhaust consists of a rotating baffle on the port linked to the throttle. It's a loud boi when it's on song but it's reasonably quiet on the runway.

20200715_123210.jpg

Closeup of the TwinStar. It's got a little hangar rash and a belly full of servos but I don't think it's ever seen fuel. The engines clearly haven't. I have my doubts it's ever actually flown.

They had two of these, but the other one had two locked up Evolution 36 engines on it. I've heard as many people swear by Evo two-strokes as I have swear at them, but I've never heard anyone swear at an OS, so I got the one with the OS mills. It's gonna fly sweet and I'll get to breaking the engines in probably tomorrow.

20200715_123203.jpg

Closeup of the other bird. It's a longshot, but if anyone knows what this thing is do let me know. I wanna say it's a piper commanche or maybe a cessna of similar ilk. Thicc boi symmetrical wing so it should be reasonably aerobatic.

20200715_134033.jpg

That's all it has for an exhaust system. It's loud. They didn't care about loud in the late 1950s early 1960s when this engine was designed. Luckily my flying field regularly hosts turbines so I don't think I'm gonna rustle any jimmies with the ruckus this thing produces...and hoo-lee does it make a ruckus.

Runs FLAWLESSLY too.

20200715_165821.jpg

Took a still of it with it running. It really does run a treat. Got video too; uploading and editing will take a bit but I should have a YT link or three at some point tonight or tomorrow.

This plane needs a little more work before I can fly it, but the engine's happy as can be. There's a lot of slop in the exhaust baffle which makes it want to idle high, the clunk in the fuel tank needs a longer and more noodly line in order for it to work properly, and it needs a full package of servos and electronics. I have enough servos on hand for it so I'll get to stuffing those in here shortly, rest I'll have to order in.

20200715_104239.jpg

And no, I'm not being facetious about helping them with floor space. This is only a small fraction of the aircraft they got in. Fun fact: You can see the TwinStar I didn't buy leaned up in the corner by the fuel cabinet.
There's so many planes there that I want

JennyC6

Elite member
T
There's so many planes there that I want
No joke, if money was no object, I'da probably bought 9 or 10 planes. They had so so so so many Sr Telemasters in there, they had a Great Planes Spacewalker ARF, the two birds I bought, a nice 60" span Mustang with retracts and a Saito 100...it literally took the two proprietors and two of their family three days of 12hr shifts to get everything into the store!

speedbirdted

Legendary member

20200715_123217.jpg

20200715_123210.jpg

20200715_123203.jpg

20200715_134033.jpg

Runs FLAWLESSLY too.

20200715_165821.jpg

20200715_104239.jpg

1282786204310.jpg

On a good day my LHS will have a couple of crappy foamies for sale. Never anything like this.

Is that a Seawind I see in the foreground? They tend to forget they're not a boat anymore while flying but I want one just cause they're so darn weird. Also, that pretty Pitts. Screw it I want the whole picture. :ROFLMAO:

I think the yellow thing you got with the ST 60 on it is this: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4075

JennyC6

Elite member
View attachment 174688

On a good day my LHS will have a couple of crappy foamies for sale. Never anything like this.

Is that a Seawind I see in the foreground? They tend to forget they're not a boat anymore while flying but I want one just cause they're so darn weird. Also, that pretty Pitts. Screw it I want the whole picture. :ROFLMAO:

I think the yellow thing you got with the ST 60 on it is this: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4075

It might be! Very quirky little thing. There was another similar ship in the back room too; was a traditional delta wing bird but it had the engine on a hook shaped pod too and the rudder was built into that pod. So many untouched ARFs and Kits too. Basically everything was ICE, mix of glow and gas. Absolute heaven for a guy like me what loves the engines.

If money was no object I'da probably bought a half dozen planes minimum. The two I got of course, that little white-and-red Sportster hiding in the back of the lineup with its wing removed and set aside, the Great Planes Spacewalker ARF still-in-box not pictured, the 60-size Mustang with retracts and a Saito 100 who's tail can just be made out in that lineup pic, probably one of the several Sr Telemasters they had...might could be talked into that Cub too...they also have a 4*40 hanging on the cieling(Unrelated to this haul) for $100 with a 40LA on it that I'd snap up...

As for the plane...looks it. Will measure the span to confirm but I think it's a bit bigger than 63". I'm 6' tall and the wing stands up to my chin. The timestamp on the plans does pan out vis-a-vis the engine in it though; these baffle-exhausted early RC engines were just coming in with the advent of practical RC gear and that plan advertises flying on reed or RC. Could be scaled up even.

Will download the plan and look into the nose too. The engine mounting solution is a bit quirky but I like it: There's a C-shaped hardwood saddle in the nose and then a plywood mounting plate is screwed into that saddle; onto this plate the engine itself mounts. It also has a rather sizeable hatch on the top of the nose going from the very tip behind the prop clear to the windshield just nearly; fuel tank access is effortless and if one were so inclined the design of the nose would make electrification pretty easy. Unusual for such an old bird.

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member

And then I tuned them in! It's ready to fly. Gonna hold off on the maiden though. IT's kinda windy and I want to have the VK Cherokee I got ready to maiden as well, get both airborne on one trip to Peeler. I had servos on hand to shove into that bird but I don't have a receiver, receiver battery, switch, et-al on hand. And I don't have the CG set on it either.

Thing sounds AMAZING!

Wildthing

Legendary member
So this old Webra 20 that I got when I bought a plane from a member that had passed away , it needed a new crankshaft because the end was broken off and it showed up yesterday so in it went. Sleeve, piston and all looked great other then slugged up bad but after a good cleaning back together in it went. initial startup was a little tedious trying to get the mixtures right but once close it runs and starts really easy. Ran about 2 ounces of fuel through it, boy does it have quick throttle response.

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member
So this old Webra 20 that I got when I bought a plane from a member that had passed away , it needed a new crankshaft because the end was broken off and it showed up yesterday so in it went. Sleeve, piston and all looked great other then slugged up bad but after a good cleaning back together in it went. initial startup was a little tedious trying to get the mixtures right but once close it runs and starts really easy. Ran about 2 ounces of fuel through it, boy does it have quick throttle response.

That little guy seems to run pretty nice! Speedy little thing too, it's gonna want to rev to the moon. Great in something fast. One of these sleek ships would be my first choice, but that thing could rip the wings off a foamy too. Guy on FT Fans FB has put some OS 25LAs in a couple and gone over a buck with them; a Webra 20 oughtta be enough to fold the wings!

This is my go-to for setting a carb I don't have manufacturer defaults for. Has worked every time I've used it.

Wildthing

Legendary member
That little guy seems to run pretty nice! Speedy little thing too, it's gonna want to rev to the moon. Great in something fast. One of these sleek ships would be my first choice, but that thing could rip the wings off a foamy too. Guy on FT Fans FB has put some OS 25LAs in a couple and gone over a buck with them; a Webra 20 oughtta be enough to fold the wings!

This is my go-to for setting a carb I don't have manufacturer defaults for. Has worked every time I've used it.

I found one of the original spec sheets for the engine when they did their testing with different props showing the torque, bhp , rpm and with what props they used. Right now I have a MAS 8X4 prop on it which was what it came with and I see I can easily go up a few steps, It doesn't feel like the 8x4 prop is really putting any load on the engine :D .

That carb setup video is really good, thank you.

Jokingly I sent the video to my combat guys and said I found a new engine for the Baron, nobody responded. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am going to go down to my LHS and see possibly what kits he has . For a first balsa kit I would want something pretty simple so I don't have to put a ton of time or money into it. I was even thinking of something like the simple stick .

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member
I found one of the original spec sheets for the engine when they did their testing with different props showing the torque, bhp , rpm and with what props they used. Right now I have a MAS 8X4 prop on it which was what it came with and I see I can easily go up a few steps, It doesn't feel like the 8x4 prop is really putting any load on the engine :D .

That carb setup video is really good, thank you.

Jokingly I sent the video to my combat guys and said I found a new engine for the Baron, nobody responded. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am going to go down to my LHS and see possibly what kits he has . For a first balsa kit I would want something pretty simple so I don't have to put a ton of time or money into it. I was even thinking of something like the simple stick .
SIG 4*20 would be a good one if you can get one. I got a partially built one from another flyer in my area that wanted to clear out his small garage and it took me all of an hour to get it from 'built wing and about 40% of a fuse' to 'ready to cover'. Easy easy to build and the 4* line is always known for good flight characteristics. I also modded mine for retracts and will be using a Magnum 30 RFS for power.

Some recent issues in China have slowed shipping to a near crawl and SIG's stock is totally dead until mid August(I have a 4*64 ARF on backorder that I placed end-of-may haha). Could also grab Flite Test's Balsa Basic Cub, though it almost feels like putting a Webra 20 on that thing would be a bit of a waste. You could also whack it onto the front of the FT Stik. They haven't done the videos on it yet I don't think, but there is a foamboard Stik on the site now.

That carb setup technique is dead nuts accurate too. I used it recently on my ST G60 Bluehead and the KE-25 in my Mad Crusher GP. In both cases it came out pretty much right on point. The former was dead nuts perfect on the low end and only a few clicks rich on the top end, and the latter I didn't set the top end(It was fine there I was fighting the LSN) and the LSN was only a quarter turn off. As an aside, the KE-25 carb does something funky with the low speed mix. The needle itself is fixed to the slide and the adjustment moves the entire spraybar in and out instead. Why they did it this way I don't know, but they did.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
SIG 4*20 would be a good one if you can get one. I got a partially built one from another flyer in my area that wanted to clear out his small garage and it took me all of an hour to get it from 'built wing and about 40% of a fuse' to 'ready to cover'. Easy easy to build and the 4* line is always known for good flight characteristics. I also modded mine for retracts and will be using a Magnum 30 RFS for power.

Some recent issues in China have slowed shipping to a near crawl and SIG's stock is totally dead until mid August(I have a 4*64 ARF on backorder that I placed end-of-may haha). Could also grab Flite Test's Balsa Basic Cub, though it almost feels like putting a Webra 20 on that thing would be a bit of a waste. You could also whack it onto the front of the FT Stik. They haven't done the videos on it yet I don't think, but there is a foamboard Stik on the site now.

That carb setup technique is dead nuts accurate too. I used it recently on my ST G60 Bluehead and the KE-25 in my Mad Crusher GP. In both cases it came out pretty much right on point. The former was dead nuts perfect on the low end and only a few clicks rich on the top end, and the latter I didn't set the top end(It was fine there I was fighting the LSN) and the LSN was only a quarter turn off. As an aside, the KE-25 carb does something funky with the low speed mix. The needle itself is fixed to the slide and the adjustment moves the entire spraybar in and out instead. Why they did it this way I don't know, but they did.
I found the plane in the US but the shipping is stupid but my LHS is a dealer for SIG so I will see what he can come up with.