FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Hey @Vimana89 , I just wanted to let you know that this David guy might actually be on the forums. He made a comment on my first YouTube vid that made him seem like a guy with a lot of knowledge (except for the part where he told me to move the wing forward on a plane with tail heavy issues). Just wanted to let you know.

Vimana89

Legendary member
It probably was the coarse language that was getting the post removed. I know I personally wouldn't want a comment like that on any of my videos whether or not I agreed with it.

I understand your ire and confusion, but this seems like a strange hill to die on. It's hard, especially when comments seem to come out of nowhere, but the best thing is usually to shrug it off and walk away until you can reply with a cool head.
I find it amusing when some troll posts a wild, unfounded comment and the other comments either ignore it entirely or respond with extreme civility.

You know what they say about the internet, "Don't feed the trolls."
Well I think the post without swearing was actually classier and probably stung harder, because I called him a bully, an imbecile, and piece of toxic garbage and since none of that is a swear word, it stuck. My life experiences have lead me to have a zero tolerance policy for bullies. I do not like conflict, it makes me nervous, and I would rather get along with people...but a little conflict is, in my opinion, the lesser of two evils compared to letting somebody bully me and talk to me like that for no good reason.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Hey @Vimana89 , I just wanted to let you know that this David guy might actually be on the forums. He made a comment on my first YouTube vid that made him seem like a guy with a lot of knowledge (except for the part where he told me to move the wing forward on a plane with tail heavy issues). Just wanted to let you know.
I really thought he was cool and helpful at first, but he seems like a know it all with a stick up his cargo bay. Most people who have any interest in the hobby have at least casually browsed this forum, if not made an account and a couple posts at least, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's on here.

Vimana89

Legendary member
We'll see how the wind is, might get some flying time today. If not, maybe a little video editing of some footage I already have. I'm going to take inventory of what parts I have, what planes need a rebuild or repurpose of electronics, etc. and decide what my next build is going to be.

Pliers guy returned for a second round of verbal flogging today, pulling out the made up statistic that "99.9999%" of hobbyists do not own a Z bend tool, therefore I'm stupid for recommending it. It seems he really wants the last word on this one-and I'll probably let him have it sooner rather than later, but I'm letting him dig himself a little deeper first:devilish:.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Well I think the post without swearing was actually classier and probably stung harder, because I called him a bully, an imbecile, and piece of toxic garbage and since none of that is a swear word, it stuck. My life experiences have lead me to have a zero tolerance policy for bullies. I do not like conflict, it makes me nervous, and I would rather get along with people...but a little conflict is, in my opinion, the lesser of two evils compared to letting somebody bully me and talk to me like that for no good reason.

1- never feed the trolls, it only causes them to come back
2- never respond to a "bully" by trying to "bully" him. you end up in a power struggle you will never win. fighting with a pig in the mud, you both get dirty and he enjoys it.
3- it is the internet. if this guy has you so wound up, maybe you need to find something else to do with your time?

just a couple thoughts, take them as you will.

laters,

me :cool:

Vimana89

Legendary member
1- never feed the trolls, it only causes them to come back
2- never respond to a "bully" by trying to "bully" him. you end up in a power struggle you will never win. fighting with a pig in the mud, you both get dirty and he enjoys it.
3- it is the internet. if this guy has you so wound up, maybe you need to find something else to do with your time?

just a couple thoughts, take them as you will.

laters,

I'm just about done with the guy. If he wants the last word he can have it, because I've got all the ones that matter. There's nothing really more to say that hasn't been said. I've already "won" this one in a way, but what I did do is give him the chance to dig himself even deeper, so that everyone that follows the comments down will see that he's not only in the wrong, but a detestable and toxic person, and now he's pulling out fake statistics and making himself look even dumber. He seems like the kind of person who can't stand anyone having a different method or opinion, and lashes out when somebody sticks to their guns rather than conforming to his idea of how something should be done. People like that often seem to "win" in life whether they deserve to or not, and they will continue to do so even more if nobody challenges them, so I'm savoring the opportunity to make an example of one and put his pathetic ego on display for everyone to see.

That may seem a bit mean spirited, but like I said, my life experiences have lead to a lot of regrets about letting people push me around and not standing up for myself or my principles many times when I was younger. I gained nothing and probably lost a few opportunities by not standing up to people like him. I get where you are coming from, and in a lot of ways your probably right. I haven't wasted much time or effort with this guy, and times are not so good, so there's not a lot of great things to be doing with my time anyway at the moment, and I'm pretty stressed and bummed out a lot lately, so he really picked the wrong time to mess with me.

I'm just a person that's got my own set of issues to deal with, but anyone who knows me knows I don't argue with people for no good reason. Everyone on these forums knows I don't go around insulting people and starting arguments because they have different opinions or methods about stuff, and anyone who's known me since my early struggles with the hobby knows that I take constructive criticism well and that I'm open minded and respectful, although I was not really positive or patient with myself and my progress early on. This guy goes around offering advice and pretending to be a positive contributor to the hobby as long as everyone worships him and conforms to his subjective opinions. I want to make sure people can see him for what he really is.

Last edited:

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I'm just about done with the guy. If he wants the last word he can have it, because I've got all the ones that matter. There's nothing really more to say that hasn't been said. I've already "won" this one in a way, but what I did do is give him the chance to dig himself even deeper, so that everyone that follows the comments down will see that he's not only in the wrong, but a detestable and toxic person, and now he's pulling out fake statistics and making himself look even dumber. He seems like the kind of person who can't stand anyone having a different method or opinion, and lashes out when somebody sticks to their guns rather than conforming to his idea of how something should be done. People like that often seem to "win" in life whether they deserve to or not, and they will continue to do so even more if nobody challenges them, so I'm savoring the opportunity to make an example of one and put his pathetic ego on display for everyone to see.

That may seem a bit mean spirited, but like I said, my life experiences have lead to a lot of regrets about letting people push me around and not standing up for myself or my principles many times when I was younger. I gained nothing and probably lost a few opportunities by not standing up to people like him. I get where you are coming from, and in a lot of ways your probably right. I haven't wasted much time or effort with this guy, and times are not so good, so there's not a lot of great things to be doing with my time anyway at the moment, and I'm pretty stressed and bummed out a lot lately, so he really picked the wrong time to mess with me.

I'm just a person that's got my own set of issues to deal with, but anyone who knows me knows I don't argue with people for no good reason. Everyone on these forums knows I don't go around insulting people and starting arguments because they have different opinions or methods about stuff, and anyone who's known me since my early struggles with the hobby knows that I take constructive criticism well and that I'm open minded and respectful, although I was not really positive or patient with myself and my progress early on. This guy goes around offering advice and pretending to be a positive contributor to the hobby as long as everyone worships him and conforms to his subjective opinions. I want to make sure people can see him for what he really is.
Leave people to their own stupidity.

Also, don't fight back with their weapon. There are better ways to fight back than to cuss them out. You degrade your opinion and your voice when you use the same petty weapon a bully uses.

I agree with how you ended it. Just leave them alone, and let them realize they have not won anything.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Leave people to their own stupidity.

Also, don't fight back with their weapon. There are better ways to fight back than to cuss them out. You degrade your opinion and your voice when you use the same petty weapon a bully uses.

I agree with how you ended it. Just leave them alone, and let them realize they have not won anything.
I didn't actually end up cussing him out and making myself look less credible, though that was my first instinct. I did call him a bully, I did call him a toxic little troll, I said he had an ego problem, and that he had no idea how to communicate with other human beings. I called him out on spouting made up statistics, and I did address the fallacies in his argument and his accusations. I made sure to highlight the fact that I was friendly and civil until he insulted me out of nowhere. I stood my ground without stooping too low.

There is a delicate balance. I did not hide the fact that he made me angry. So what? My anger is justified, and his petty insult was not. If I was to have said nothing at all, he would have been smug and confident, and it would have looked like I conceded to him being "right" in his accusations. People like him get through life that way with relative success because nobody stands up to them. I did need to defend myself and to expose him for what he is. That being said, there's no reason to drag it out or continue going back and forth with him for days on end. I've said what I had to say. If he's looking for a further fight he can fight for air, because there's not much of it where his head is currently lodged...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, so i just spent my first real hour on the sim flying helicopters with a real transmitter setup (ie- collective control). i knew this was gonna be tough but i had no idea. i am a really good pilot and i feel like i just went back to kindergarten in a class of nobel laureates. my biggest issue so far is i keep "chopping" the throttle when i get in trouble. this is exactly what you want to do with airplanes, the exact opposite of what you want to do with helo's. i will get there but i have a whole new respect for helo pilots. :eek:

back to the sim,

OliverW

Legendary member
ok, so i just spent my first real hour on the sim flying helicopters with a real transmitter setup (ie- collective control). i knew this was gonna be tough but i had no idea. i am a really good pilot and i feel like i just went back to kindergarten in a class of nobel laureates. my biggest issue so far is i keep "chopping" the throttle when i get in trouble. this is exactly what you want to do with airplanes, the exact opposite of what you want to do with helo's. i will get there but i have a whole new respect for helo pilots. :eek:

back to the sim,

I felt the opposite when I tried them. I started being able to learn the harder maneuvers on them. I have lots of respect for the pilots that don't kill me with them 😅😅

Vimana89

Legendary member
I felt the opposite when I tried them. I started being able to learn the harder maneuvers on them. I have lots of respect for the pilots that don't kill me with them 😅😅
Those big fuel ones can, and sadly have been lethal in a case or two, mainly with people doing extreme aerobatics very close to themselves. I'm all for flying them safely, but they require extra vigilance and precautions. I've flown a few quads, but never a regular RC heli-some time down the road I might get a small and safe one for some casual fun. I'd really like a Chinook, but those are hard to find.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
yes, i totally agree about the crazy danger of big helos. when @Rasterize and i did the noon show at the AZ Electric fest, we followed the 3D helo performance. dude was absolutely terrifying! amazing, but terrifying! :oops:

but, that's kinda what it's about isn't it? we want to be able to control the uncontrollable and demonstrate our ability to do so?

everything we learn only makes us that much better. i just did my first inverted hover and that was just 2hrs. let's see where we are in 2 weeks? :unsure::sneaky::LOL:

back to the sim,

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I met up with @Goose Igaly in SC and we maidened his newly minted FT Simple Soarer. I dusted off a number of other planes, along with mine.
I dusted off a few of the OLD planes. Synergy, and the X-29. I also had a few newly finished planes, and Had a nose rebuild on my Purple soarer Joe took around the sky awhile.

If you want to listen to us talking about this outing, come listen to the upcoming episode of the Aviation RC Noob. Subscribe and hear all about it.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor

back to the sim,

Good luck my friend! Before AZ I was living near Rochester NY and was a member of the Rochester Aero Modeling Society (RAMS). One of our long time member was Kyle Stacy and his dad. Kyle has rank multiple times as one of the top 3 RC heli pilots in the world. Watching guys like him is amazing and terrifying all at the same time.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Good luck my friend! Before AZ I was living near Rochester NY and was a member of the Rochester Aero Modeling Society (RAMS). One of our long time member was Kyle Stacy and his dad. Kyle has rank multiple times as one of the top 3 RC heli pilots in the world. Watching guys like him is amazing and terrifying all at the same time.

I am now reminded of the skill that man holds in his little finger.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I didn't actually end up cussing him out and making myself look less credible, though that was my first instinct. I did call him a bully, I did call him a toxic little troll, I said he had an ego problem, and that he had no idea how to communicate with other human beings. I called him out on spouting made up statistics, and I did address the fallacies in his argument and his accusations. I made sure to highlight the fact that I was friendly and civil until he insulted me out of nowhere. I stood my ground without stooping too low.

There is a delicate balance. I did not hide the fact that he made me angry. So what? My anger is justified, and his petty insult was not. If I was to have said nothing at all, he would have been smug and confident, and it would have looked like I conceded to him being "right" in his accusations. People like him get through life that way with relative success because nobody stands up to them. I did need to defend myself and to expose him for what he is. That being said, there's no reason to drag it out or continue going back and forth with him for days on end. I've said what I had to say. If he's looking for a further fight he can fight for air, because there's not much of it where his head is currently lodged...
Sorry, I was under the impression that you edited your post to make it clean for the forums. In that case, good job!

"Corpse"

Legendary member

I love your signature! That's what my friends and I would say right before we went on glider flights together!

OliverW

Legendary member

That was mesmerizing