FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The kids have their B-days pretty close together this month, but you would think it was my B-day. Went to the Aviation Museum here in Edmonton, AB. Been here before but it was quite a few years ago, but the layout was different, and their is different exhibits. Right when we first walked in we were introduced to a bunch of biplanes... View attachment 179318
A Stinson then a Fokker D. VIII View attachment 179315
How about a Tiger Moth for ya, Ill take one... View attachment 179314
or this guy... View attachment 179320
Or a Curtiss Jenny View attachment 179313
Took a little trip outside, had to sneak past the offices, but i got a glimpse of these next in the restoration line... View attachment 179309 View attachment 179310
This one caught my eye, you will know what this is...
View attachment 179308
Yea a Vampire...

Got to the WW2 section and this is where i started to light up...
View attachment 179311
View attachment 179312
As if a B-25 wasn't enough, I saw this... View attachment 179319
That's right it is a Merlin, which belongs to this...
View attachment 179316
View attachment 179317
Cmon! A Mossie for the grand finale!

This was a trip for the boys birthday but i think i was more excited then them. There was a bunch more but I thought this was enough for you to drool over. Besides my friends south of the border have way better museums then this, but this was what the doctor ordered. Thank you baby
That's awesome man - I'm jealous!!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Got me a serious tool. Bought and mounted a little bench vise. Now I can learn that wire to be some good landing gear 😈

20200918_212626.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
I sent an email to cancel my previous FT store order that was taking a while with back ordered EZ 2ch packs. Why? I discovered they had new EZ 3ch versions in stock for $10 more a piece, with an elevator servo, so sounds a lot better and plus it's in stock. I ordered two of those and re-ordered the "old" B pack motor that comes with the two props for $15. I also bought a cheapo 2200KV motor and ESC combo for $14 on eBay to test.

Other than that, I got some new foam and stuff. couldn't find FT brown or Adams easily so went with something different in the same measurements(its not Elmer's either). I'll let everyone know the brand name and how it turns out. $30 for 10 sheets is crap, but it's black, so at least it looks cool. I also bought some cheap 3mm foam board to experiment with the EZ packs.

If all these ship and arrive without a hitch, I'll be back at building full force.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE and top it all off with the mossie! Thats one of my favorite planes for sure. With the wooden construction theres not many left, though i remember reading about one thats getting restored to fly again...

Thats definitely on my future build list. Itll be a trick to balance but its neat that, structurally, the original design is not too dissimilar to how we build master series planes!

JennyC6

Elite member

more nitro FPV shenanigans! Couple guys are restoring an old concrete RC oval track in my area so I'm chippin' in, and part of what we're doing out there is rippin' some hotlaps. And hey, I've got an FPV rig, so why not go gogs-down for a bit?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@BATTLEAXE and top it all off with the mossie! Thats one of my favorite planes for sure. With the wooden construction theres not many left, though i remember reading about one thats getting restored to fly again...

Thats definitely on my future build list. Itll be a trick to balance but its neat that, structurally, the original design is not too dissimilar to how we build master series planes!
The mossie is on my list as well. I’ve got the umx park zone one which is a blast to fly.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Two new arrivals in the past week, another Mini Talon (these are just one of the best long range FPV platforms ever!)
IMG_20200922_200953765.jpg
and today a ZOHD dart 250g - which will have full iNav, 3S Li-ion and full HD video recording. (will be nearer 330gms all up weight)
IMG_20200922_200946644.jpg
...it looks SO tiny compared to the Taft Hobby Viper!!

JennyC6

Elite member
20200922_142243.jpg

20200922_142251.jpg

Got tired of waiting for the 4*64 I ordered from SIG to arrive, so I mounted my FA-90TS to the H9 Valiant 10cc I was gonna put my 46AX on. Runs decently well, though I'm still fighting some idle and transition issues that I don't have on any of my single cylinder engines.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Well, a faulty connector, or a fault in the connector... or both lol
It was in part me, the connector was one off an old brushed 8x20mm motor, and the polarity of it was for that particular motor on a quad, which happened to be incorrect for my camera. I should have remembered that it was reversed from when I replaced them. Oh well, at least it was just a 17 dollar camera, not something else 😂.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
It was in part me, the connector was one off an old brushed 8x20mm motor, and the polarity of it was for that particular motor on a quad, which happened to be incorrect for my camera. I should have remembered that it was reversed from when I replaced them. Oh well, at least it was just a 17 dollar camera, not something else 😂.
Haha, yeah. Been there, done that...
An embarrassing number of times honestly... 🙄

JennyC6

Elite member

Aaaaand now it's been bolted into the chassis, started in situ. Major milestone for my nitro globe liner project. I have to clearance the frame rail for the starter belt, sure up the mounting, get the transmission in, get the servos in, receiver, battery(Prolly a 3s2200 with a BEC since the starter motor wants 3-cell but my radio gear only wants 6v), figure out brakes, work over cooling......hah. Still a long way before it ever pulls anything. But hey. Engine has been run in situ.

speedbirdted

Legendary member

Aaaaand now it's been bolted into the chassis, started in situ. Major milestone for my nitro globe liner project. I have to clearance the frame rail for the starter belt, sure up the mounting, get the transmission in, get the servos in, receiver, battery(Prolly a 3s2200 with a BEC since the starter motor wants 3-cell but my radio gear only wants 6v), figure out brakes, work over cooling......hah. Still a long way before it ever pulls anything. But hey. Engine has been run in situ.
I'm surprised that engine runs so happily with the tank down so low. I built a seaplane with an engine pod and the tank in the fuselage a while ago with a similar elevation difference and I had to stick an Iron Bay regulator on it, else it wouldn't transition smoothly and sometimes got too lean and died at idle.