FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I bought this to get into EDF planes and have something nice but a good "bang for the buck": Freewing F-8 Crusader EDF Jet PNP FJ10811P – Motion RC .Plus, it looks super cool and I like cold war jets. Plenty of 4ch experience including swept wing planes, so this should be a lot of fun(y)

i have/had one of those. they can fly 4S on stock setup which i recommend. on 3S it can be a bit interesting to get into the air. i bungee launch mine so i dont have to worry. i am not a fan of the control surface arrangement, it takes a bit to get used to. i physically set my ailerons to minimum throws and the elevators to max. some people just ditch the ailerons all together and fly it as an elevon.

good luck, it is a cool plane and looks great once you get it in the air.

laters,

me :cool:

Vimana89

Legendary member
i have/had one of those. they can fly 4S on stock setup which i recommend. on 3S it can be a bit interesting to get into the air. i bungee launch mine so i dont have to worry. i am not a fan of the control surface arrangement, it takes a bit to get used to. i physically set my ailerons to minimum throws and the elevators to max. some people just ditch the ailerons all together and fly it as an elevon.

good luck, it is a cool plane and looks great once you get it in the air.

laters,

I really didn't stop to think too much about 4s when I ordered it last night since it recommended 3s and I picked up a three set of 3s batteries...oh well, I can use those for other builds not a waste. I'd much rather have it on 4s, especially since I hand launch. I'd also like some excess power, helps the learning curve of an EDF. I've got a couple 4s batteries coming, a 1300 and an 1800. I'll see how it handles with these, probably maiden with the smaller one.

I think I'll also tone down the aileron rates and add a bit of negative expo, and do the opposite for elevators. I have some experience flying planes with pretty rapid roll rates, so that doesn't bother me too much, but I'd like it to be smooth and not too twitchy when I just want to do standard turns and stuff.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I really didn't stop to think too much about 4s when I ordered it last night since it recommended 3s and I picked up a three set of 3s batteries...oh well, I can use those for other builds not a waste. I'd much rather have it on 4s, especially since I hand launch. I'd also like some excess power, helps the learning curve of an EDF. I've got a couple 4s batteries coming, a 1300 and an 1800. I'll see how it handles with these, probably maiden with the smaller one.

I think I'll also tone down the aileron rates and add a bit of negative expo, and do the opposite for elevators. I have some experience flying planes with pretty rapid roll rates, so that doesn't bother me too much, but I'd like it to be smooth and not too twitchy when I just want to do standard turns and stuff.

its not the roll rate that is the problem. it just reacts weird due to the ailerons and elevators working off same servo. it's basically a double-elevon setup. it is just different feeling than any other plane i had flown.

i used a 4S-1300 and it balanced perfect and gave 4 min flights.

have fun,

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Want a head tracker, Hobbyking and Fatshark discontinued there's?
Easy, make your own thanks to the open source code and design that Hobbyking copied anyway!!!
IMG_20201218_225144049.jpg
Just need to add the cable for the transmitter and 3D print a case for it.....

...bugger, the 3D printer has broken :(

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
got my wheel weights today and they make a huge difference. was hoping i would have the steering linkage today as well but no show so far. tomorrow we should have at least 3 at the field. gonna start to plan out a little course.

20201219_173508.jpg

i also realized i had the servo upgrade all ready in stock, both plastic and metal geared. once i get linkage that will be next on the list.

laters,

speedbirdted

Legendary member
got my wheel weights today and they make a huge difference. was hoping i would have the steering linkage today as well but no show so far. tomorrow we should have at least 3 at the field. gonna start to plan out a little course.

View attachment 186683

i also realized i had the servo upgrade all ready in stock, both plastic and metal geared. once i get linkage that will be next on the list.

laters,

I used to have a Losi Trail Trekker which is kinda like this but just 10 or so years earlier. It's long discontinued now but I had lots of fun with it. I've still got it somewhere. Maybe I ought to revive it...

Wildthing

Legendary member

View attachment 186683

laters,

Is that a ASA approved jack stand?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 186683

laters,

What servo did you upgrade to? I’m considering installing 4 wheel steering on mine. However I’m still trying to figure out how I’ll be able to set up the three different steering settings and keep the drag brake...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
What servo did you upgrade to? I’m considering installing 4 wheel steering on mine. However I’m still trying to figure out how I’ll be able to set up the three different steering settings and keep the drag brake...

i was told you can use the one i have in the pic (ES08AII) or the MG version of it. i plan on the metal geared version. will need to design and print a new holder for it but that shouldn't be a problem.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ya, not my best day. no idea what was wrong. flew perfect, then didn't. got some glitch and went nuts. throttled itself into the ground. :sick:

20201220_133011.jpg

everything from wing spar back is fine, the front is toast though. cross fingers the motor is ok.

live and learn i guess.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member