FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thank you.... After scrolling a bit. I sow it. Did you get the all in one arduino mini all in one at the end of the thread?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
got my wheel weights today and they make a huge difference. was hoping i would have the steering linkage today as well but no show so far. tomorrow we should have at least 3 at the field. gonna start to plan out a little course.

View attachment 186683

i also realized i had the servo upgrade all ready in stock, both plastic and metal geared. once i get linkage that will be next on the list.

laters,

me :cool:

See... things like this are gonna force me over winter to dig this out... finish replacing the cracked and split nylon ball joints with the steel ones. Will probably have to tear down the engine for a good clean as well as its been sitting since I found quads.

IMG_0650.JPG

Samh

Elite member
was just looking at shipping from hobbyrc for that plane and the p-40 kit. they want more for shipping than either kit! o_O

i also do not like the linked aileron and elevon mix together. that is how the motion F-105 and F-8 are setup and i never liked the way they fly.

i also think i solved my Edge issue. in my ignorance (don't know what else to call it other than stupidity) i chose the 130A ESC because it was "bigger" than the 90A Talons i have. well, there is more to the ESC than just the Amp draw, the BEC is also very important. well, the 130A only has a 5A BEC. :eek:

if i am running my servos at 7.2v then i am right at the limit of amp draw on the BEC. that combined with the load of the RX and Satellite i am probably browning out. in comparison the Talon 90A has a 20A BEC, ie- a LOT more meat on the bones! only prob is now i have to swap out all of my connectors again to a larger gauge. i was hoping i could just swap but nothing can ever be that easy. :rolleyes:

did get a decent pic though,

View attachment 186123

laters,

In regards to your crash, if you were running you servos at 7.2v that is technically a high voltage setup. In high voltage setups the 20a BEC is not enough on 4 HV servos plus an receiver. When running HV servos you want to isolate the esc from the servos. you can easily run a separate 2s lipo to the servos to get the needed HV for the servos. on a plane like that you could get 3 flights on a 2s 400mah lipo. The 20a BEC would be good on four 6v servos and a receiver since they aren't pulling as many amps. Also when you did the snap rolls, you are adding rudder, elevator, and aileron inputs all at once. All 4 servos are under load so you just pulled to many amps and overloaded the ESC. I know you kinda said a similar thing. Pro modeler RC put out a very good tutorial on HV setups in electrics. Just my 2 cents. Hoped this helped

https://www.promodeler.com/askJohn/How-to-use-a-HV-servo-with-a-6V-radio

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
In regards to your crash, if you were running you servos at 7.2v that is technically a high voltage setup. In high voltage setups the 20a BEC is not enough on 4 HV servos plus an receiver. When running HV servos you want to isolate the esc from the servos. you can easily run a separate 2s lipo to the servos to get the needed HV for the servos. on a plane like that you could get 3 flights on a 2s 400mah lipo. The 20a BEC would be good on four 6v servos and a receiver since they aren't pulling as many amps. Also when you did the snap rolls, you are adding rudder, elevator, and aileron inputs all at once. All 4 servos are under load so you just pulled to many amps and overloaded the ESC. I know you kinda said a similar thing. Pro modeler RC put out a very good tutorial on HV setups in electrics. Just my 2 cents. Hoped this helped

https://www.promodeler.com/askJohn/How-to-use-a-HV-servo-with-a-6V-radio

thank you. that was very helpful.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
one of our senior members that was present last week when i crashed my OMP Edge texted me yesterday and said he had a present for me. i wasn't sure what he meant but certainly did not expect this... :eek:

20201223_122959.jpg

it is BRAND NEW! he said for me to "hold onto it" until i get the other flying again. which we all kinda know at this point aint gonna be happening anytime soon. i told him he was crazy but he insisted. said he had another one at home so no biggie. plane has never been flown but he had installed everything, motor, servos, even included the battery. so we are back in action thanks to the incredible kindness of him and his wife. cannot say enough good things about them. really helped to lift my spirits and i really kinda needed it.

going to spend the next 3 days getting it setup and hope for a sunday maiden.

crossing fingers this one goes better than the last.

laters,

JennyC6

Elite member
Did a little testing on Speedyboi's engine because, last time I flew it, it felt a bit soft. And the cylinder walls?

20201218_173516.jpg

20201218_173610.jpg

20201218_173631.jpg

Yeah. So I dropped the 10-7 MAS for a 9-6 TF Wood. That should get the ol' H-40P spun up proper, ye?

NOPE! Only 12K. .46HP. Look it up on Sceptreflight, I should get 0.55-0.6HP on 5% nitro, yet I'm running 15%. 20% and no muffler is good for nearly 1HP; reading between the lines on the graph I should be in the 0.75hp area. Should be around 13,500-14,000 on a 9-6, since I'm on 15% nitro with a muffler(albiet a better flowing one than they had back then). Look up a run or two on YT...Dave McIntyre ran his with a 10-6 APC and 5% nitro, STILL got more RPM than I did. More load less nitro 150RPM more than Im' getting. And he had a muffler fitted! So yah. She's tired.

Still reliable though. Still hand starts. Still giving me 1200g thrust on a 1500g airplane. So I'm going to continue to fly it while I get parts. And I can get them; an aftermarket replacement ring exists BOCA sells bearings. But really, a 40 2c, even one that old, should pull a 20-size pattern ship around like a ragdoll, infinite vertical at part throttle. So yah, I'ma be rebuilding that engine in the coming weeks.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did a little testing on Speedyboi's engine because, last time I flew it, it felt a bit soft. And the cylinder walls?

20201218_173516.jpg

20201218_173610.jpg

20201218_173631.jpg

Yeah. So I dropped the 10-7 MAS for a 9-6 TF Wood. That should get the ol' H-40P spun up proper, ye?

NOPE! Only 12K. .46HP. Look it up on Sceptreflight, I should get 0.55-0.6HP on 5% nitro, yet I'm running 15%. 20% and no muffler is good for nearly 1HP; reading between the lines on the graph I should be in the 0.75hp area. Should be around 13,500-14,000 on a 9-6, since I'm on 15% nitro with a muffler(albiet a better flowing one than they had back then). Look up a run or two on YT...Dave McIntyre ran his with a 10-6 APC and 5% nitro, STILL got more RPM than I did. More load less nitro 150RPM more than Im' getting. And he had a muffler fitted! So yah. She's tired.

Still reliable though. Still hand starts. Still giving me 1200g thrust on a 1500g airplane. So I'm going to continue to fly it while I get parts. And I can get them; an aftermarket replacement ring exists BOCA sells bearings. But really, a 40 2c, even one that old, should pull a 20-size pattern ship around like a ragdoll, infinite vertical at part throttle. So yah, I'ma be rebuilding that engine in the coming weeks.

I would seriously think of re-sleeving that jug mate. That's some deep scoring and that one big one might actually be a crack which would cause big compression loss as it heated up and opened to let pressure escape. In best case those scores will chew new ring up fast.

Also if that ring happens to bind in one of those scores you could easily end up with a broken wrist pin like this.

IMG_0603.JPG

JennyC6

Elite member
I would seriously think of re-sleeving that jug mate. That's some deep scoring and that one big one might actually be a crack which would cause big compression loss as it heated up and opened to let pressure escape. In best case those scores will chew new ring up fast.

Also if that ring happens to bind in one of those scores you could easily end up with a broken wrist pin like this.

View attachment 187063
Heh, as much as I'd like to it is 100% absolutely not gonna happen. The engine is over sixty years old the chances of me finding a replacement sleeve are next to nil. The only way that sleeve is getting replaced is if I go over to HMEM and commission someone there to take my old sleeve, the bore spec OS calls for, and mill me a new one to order, something that would likely cost more than a 25ax would. A rering is about all I can do for the top end unless you can pull a miracle out of somewhere and find me a serviceable replacement liner for an OS H 40P.

I would dearly love to whap a new liner into it, but I cannot find so much as an expired eBay auction, worthpoint listing, hell even a part number for that liner.

'sides, the scoring looks awful but its so shallow a fingernail wont pick any of it up.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
one of our senior members that was present last week when i crashed my OMP Edge texted me yesterday and said he had a present for me. i wasn't sure what he meant but certainly did not expect this... :eek:

View attachment 186904

it is BRAND NEW! he said for me to "hold onto it" until i get the other flying again. which we all kinda know at this point aint gonna be happening anytime soon. i told him he was crazy but he insisted. said he had another one at home so no biggie. plane has never been flown but he had installed everything, motor, servos, even included the battery. so we are back in action thanks to the incredible kindness of him and his wife. cannot say enough good things about them. really helped to lift my spirits and i really kinda needed it.

going to spend the next 3 days getting it setup and hope for a sunday maiden.

crossing fingers this one goes better than the last.

laters,

Wow, that’s fantastic!

JennyC6

Elite member
haha same guy... I did not see the added ring I just thought he lowered his price for the one I linked. Good catch.
Not the right part. I have the Pylon version. They have a different top end in them. That's just for the regular one; bore difference of 30 thou and likely different port timing. No guarantee that sleeve would even fit into my case. Do appreciate ya'll lookin', but I have the -P not the regular ringed H-40.