FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I spent my day waiting for the property managers to walk thru with annual inspections.

During that wait I found that the free VSDC editor does not like raw video files in the Quick time format. I was going to upgrade but found out they tried to pull a bait n switch. Been waiting for the full version to go on sale. When I was looking into what files it can work with I saw there was in fact a sale on the full version. I clicked the big red banner that said BUY NOW and commenced to filling out the order form.... right up til I got to the tiny box that said check this box if you wish to auto renew.. You don't buy nothin you just rent it.. Sorry guys I don't subscribe to ANY software.. Stuff like this is an aid not a must have utility or something that requires a freakin mortgage..

Anyway managed to convert the file strangely enough using VSDC editor taking it down to 30 fps from 60 fps as that is the programs limit and making it an mp4 file. I attempted to convert it to the H2.64 format You Tube says is best and after it ripped for like an hour and a half it was all blocky like way worse then any FPV dvr footage ever made with huge square chunks nearly the size of dimes on my tv.

Anyway I managed to do this video even though it took most of the day. Don't mind the crappy guitar parts.. I was REALLY bored today.

Namactual

Elite member
I spent my day waiting for the property managers to walk thru with annual inspections.

During that wait I found that the free VSDC editor does not like raw video files in the Quick time format. I was going to upgrade but found out they tried to pull a bait n switch. Been waiting for the full version to go on sale. When I was looking into what files it can work with I saw there was in fact a sale on the full version. I clicked the big red banner that said BUY NOW and commenced to filling out the order form.... right up til I got to the tiny box that said check this box if you wish to auto renew.. You don't buy nothin you just rent it.. Sorry guys I don't subscribe to ANY software.. Stuff like this is an aid not a must have utility or something that requires a freakin mortgage..

Anyway managed to convert the file strangely enough using VSDC editor taking it down to 30 fps from 60 fps as that is the programs limit and making it an mp4 file. I attempted to convert it to the H2.64 format You Tube says is best and after it ripped for like an hour and a half it was all blocky like way worse then any FPV dvr footage ever made with huge square chunks nearly the size of dimes on my tv.

Anyway I managed to do this video even though it took most of the day. Don't mind the crappy guitar parts.. I was REALLY bored today.

Sounds good brother. Great flying too.(y)
I am kinda jealous. I still can't FPV my little Mach25 yet. I can line of site in acro, even do loops and rolls. I just can not fly it FPV. I have no sense of speed or inertia. :cautious:
I will get it eventually.

As far as video conversion goes, I know VLC (VideoLAN) player will open and convert just about anything. And it's completely free. I have never actually used it this way as I just use it as a player, but it is worth a shot.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Aerial recon of the flying field at dusk, now that it is all cleaned up.... :-D

Screenshot from 2018-05-25 08-15-01.png

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

I'm loving the new playing while flying video format!

Can we put in requests? Maybe some classic Tesla or Iron Maiden? :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Namactual I have tried VLC for conversions. I was even going to use that to convert sound files for the Taranis as I found ones I want to replace. That conversion page it has you need an engineering degree to sort it all out.. I think it does TOOO much for my cromagnon brain to wrap around.

@LB.. I am jealous of your field. Where I am they don't mow as often as they should and when they do they leave lines of piled up grass clippings all over which is a HUGE pain to clean out of your gear after a crash.

@rockyboy. I already have some Iron Maiden ready. In fact that Video was supposed to be for "Flight of Icarus" but as you see not a cloud in the sky to match the lyrics. Soon though soon. the hardest part now is all the ripping it takes to make a video since VSDC won't use the 1920 x1080 60 fps footage. So 6 packs of footage now have to be ripped to a usable format then put in and edited, then ripped again.

I am looking into other video editors and will probably have to bite the bullet and buy one to get all the features to do real videos not amateur hour ones I do.

@LB If you can find me a copy of John Denver done in metal format I can mimic it just like I do with all the other crappy playing. I have ZERO clue musically what I am doing. I know a lot of what I play is written for drop tuning but I work it out in standard best I can. I hate retuning a bunch of times and can not afford 4 or 5 guitars to put the various tuning on each one. I just run it thru my magic digital effects processor and try to get the gear sounds and settings as close as possible. How many guitarists play thru a modified bass cabinet on 10 inch speakers after all.

I will take requests but remember my skills are limited. But I am always willing to try new things. Took me a year plus to get close to covering Iron Maidens "Back in the Village" and I still mess that up at times.

Namactual

Elite member
@PsyBorg
"This is help desk, how may I assist you today?"

Seriously though, if you want to give VLC another shot let me know. I am no expert, but I am sure we can figure it out.

Also, I know they are pricey and probably outside of the realm of financial possibility atm, but one of the biggest draws to the Mac for me is the software you have access to out of the box. Even after all of the problems I had with my new MacBook Pro grinding on me daily, for creative work they really are worth the cost. A Mac Mini is a good buy for something like this. You can pick up genuine Apple remans on the Apple store for a discount as well. The iMac I have been using daily since 2011 and using as I type this very post is a factory reman.(y)

As for music, I vote for Dance with the Dead's remix of "Kick Start My Heart".

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I tried a while ago to do "Kick Start My Heart" was having some trouble transposing the detune back to normal tuning. I could go back to it and try again but doing a mix like they did with all the sampling and parts coming in and out would be pretty boring for guitar actually. Maybe I can add in some of my own non musical parts and come up with something that fits.

I grabbed the free VSDC audio converter for making Taranis files and that is super simple to use and my pea brain to comprehend.

As for video conversion on the VLAN player I would have to convert raw Quick Time formats to Mpeg4 with no resolution degradation for it to be of any use for your tube edits. I had only tried converting to h2.64 before on it and it always comes out all 8 bit-ish and super blocky and the sound gets destroyed. Kinda why I walked away from it. But I figured out that Mpeg4 works best for me doing you tube edits and Google doesn't tend to re render them so harshly but they still get downgraded. I set the sound down to 11khz for videos so the files don't get super huge. the raw recordings are done in 44khz though so they are clear. So far it all works OK considering its open air recorded off a logicam 250's condenser mic haha.

I have done really clear recording direct out of the guitar processor into the computer over songs before and they sound super sweet.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I wanted some bigger packs for my fpv goggles so i printed out a 18650 2s pack holder with a nice belt loop. Now just need to get some 2s balance leads.

Attachments

• IMG_20180525_103040.jpg
    IMG_20180525_103040.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180525_103316.jpg
    IMG_20180525_103316.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I haven't found a John Denver metal cover yet, but one of my favorite crazy Norweigans did Cotton Eyed Joe quite nicely :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@PB, Don't be too jealous of the field. One other guy and I do most of the mowing and field cleaning for the club.... Need to get some autonomous gear on the mower so we can fly while it mows itself. :-D This year has been tough with the timing of the rain and it has mostly been growing out of control between cuttings. It took us a few nights this week to get it in good shape including time replacing the tire with the sidewall puncture. :p Hopefully we can get others to help out now that it is at a really good starting point.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I haven't found a John Denver metal cover yet, but one of my favorite crazy Norweigans did Cotton Eyed Joe quite nicely :D

I do have a redo parody already done on Dio's "Stand Up and Shout" with the Rotor Riot crew specifically Steele when they did that drunk flying episode. My version is called "Fall Down and Ralph". The words are pretty funny (at least in my head). I would love to get the b roll footage of that shoot or some clips from the video to make an offical remix. Sadly RJD's wife I believe is hardcore against anyone using his music for anything and aggressively goes after them when they do.

I like rearranging words to music. Like maybe a redo of "Run to the Hills" with Alex, TJ, and Austin. The chorus would be "run up that hill... re trive your truh uhhucks I also have a version where quads or planes are interchangeable as well for all the times they crashed on the hill out back at FFHQ.

Maybe some Bon Jovi.... shot thru that gate but your to lame you give quads a bad name. (after my flying skills of course hehehe)

Namactual

Elite member
I tried a while ago to do "Kick Start My Heart" was having some trouble transposing the detune back to normal tuning. I could go back to it and try again but doing a mix like they did with all the sampling and parts coming in and out would be pretty boring for guitar actually. Maybe I can add in some of my own non musical parts and come up with something that fits.

I grabbed the free VSDC audio converter for making Taranis files and that is super simple to use and my pea brain to comprehend.

As for video conversion on the VLAN player I would have to convert raw Quick Time formats to Mpeg4 with no resolution degradation for it to be of any use for your tube edits. I had only tried converting to h2.64 before on it and it always comes out all 8 bit-ish and super blocky and the sound gets destroyed. Kinda why I walked away from it. But I figured out that Mpeg4 works best for me doing you tube edits and Google doesn't tend to re render them so harshly but they still get downgraded. I set the sound down to 11khz for videos so the files don't get super huge. the raw recordings are done in 44khz though so they are clear. So far it all works OK considering its open air recorded off a logicam 250's condenser mic haha.

I have done really clear recording direct out of the guitar processor into the computer over songs before and they sound super sweet.
I was trying to go easy on ya man, don't make me request some Satriani.

Are the files in stereo @44khz? Can you keep it at 44khz and collapse it to mono? It would drop the audio stream data by half and still sound good.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hahah I can't HEAR that fast let alone play that fast.

The camera has a single mic so its recording mono at 44khz. I drop it to 11khz when I edit and it sounds fine in headphones. Still better then 90% of the digital radio you hear played these days with that tinging phasor effect to all the highs or the crappy 480 p videos on cell phones... Uhhg.. I am surprised really how well that web cam mic does to be honest. the volumes I play at are not much louder then TV volumes with normal use. If you listen closely when I lean forward to press one of the pedal board switches you can actually hear the pick hitting the strings over the amplified sounds. have Senheiser mics we used for live sound I could set up to make even cleaner recordings but this ain't for commercial use or for money so it works well enough.