FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
well i did not fly rc.. i glide tested my glider.... first time throw it did not want to land....
then second throw was far to hasty... i did not check if the weights had shifted....
it tried to do vertical and then it decided to make a hole in the ground for me to plant a tree in... === a mashed nose

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
well i did not fly rc.. i glide tested my glider.... first time throw it did not want to land....
then second throw was far to hasty... i did not check if the weights had shifted....
it tried to do vertical and then it decided to make a hole in the ground for me to plant a tree in... === a mashed nose
i am going to redo the fuse... because i have had to add 200grams of weight into the nose.... far to much for my liking

Bottom end after that run, well the rear pink float that damage was from the frozen snow the first time out. The front you can see how even though it was soft and melting it just destroyed that plastic. I think I am going to just run a couple strips of duct tape and see how it holds out.

View attachment 195298 View attachment 195299
I had no idea - I thought the plastic would hold.
Where you are I guess you get that sort of ice conditions kind of often?
But I'm not really sure about duct tape either. No you got my mind working on it too. But I don't know if I can help beat this one.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I had no idea - I thought the plastic would hold.
Where you are I guess you get that sort of ice conditions kind of often?
But I'm not really sure about duct tape either. No you got my mind working on it too. But I don't know if I can help beat this one.
Tape is easy to try especially on straight foam not fb, doesn't work peel it off. Wing tape I will use quite a bit to help protect the foam when landing, it doesn't stick that good under abuse so you are always replacing it but it is still easy. I could also go find some heavier plastic.

Tape is easy to try especially on straight foam not fb, doesn't work peel it off. Wing tape I will use quite a bit to help protect the foam when landing, it doesn't stick that good under abuse so you are always replacing it but it is still easy. I could also go find some heavier plastic.
Your mind runs through all the materials you know - wood metal plastic tape carbon fiber, metal wire, hobby ply... Tell you what, remember I embedded bamboo skewers into the cutting edges of my hull. Maybe not the forever solution for your conditions, but I was running on some pretty crusty stuff too. Absolutely no damage where the bamboo was. I split them in half to better glue into the edges where they curve toward the bow. Bamboo is the wonder wood.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Your mind runs through all the materials you know - wood metal plastic tape carbon fiber, metal wire, hobby ply... Tell you what, remember I embedded bamboo skewers into the cutting edges of my hull. Maybe not the forever solution for your conditions, but I was running on some pretty crusty stuff too. Absolutely no damage where the bamboo was. I split them in half to better glue into the edges where they curve toward the bow. Bamboo is the wonder wood.
I have 3 more of the rear floats I can play with and try the skewers trick, the front pontoons are flat, besides the bottom receiving damage even the sides close to the bottom get beat up . The foam filled pontoons are definitely holding up to the punishment and not breaking in half

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Was cleaning out the garage, kinda-sorta organizing some stuff. Found my chargers, and my Traxxas adapter cable, so charging up the LiPo for the slash.... TFR tomorrow, so maybe I'll throw some long range FPV gear on the Slash and see how far I can get around the hood.

Cheers!
LB

Taildragger

Legendary member
Was cleaning out the garage, kinda-sorta organizing some stuff. Found my chargers, and my Traxxas adapter cable, so charging up the LiPo for the slash.... TFR tomorrow, so maybe I'll throw some long range FPV gear on the Slash and see how far I can get around the hood.

Cheers!
LB
ooh, lucky! I've got to replace some rusted out bearings before I can run my slash again.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member

Cheers!
LB

i love FPV driving but no matter how careful i am, i always seem to roll over at the farthest point from where i am sitting and have to get up and go get the truck. :LOL:

i built a night time LED lighting system for my 1/10th scale crawler and that is fun! freaks people out when they see it, not sure what this blindingly bright thing is coming towards them.

laters,

me :cool:

Tench745

Master member
I have towed a glider up with a bike. I've found that when you're ground-towing you need to mount the tow hook very close to the CG like you would for a bungee or winch tow. If you have the tow hook more forward like you would for an aero-tow, you won't be able to gain much altitude.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Have not gotten the slash out yet today, but did pull the RMRC Surfer 1600 down off the shelf. Been out there so long, A little birdy had P00ped on it. (They have been dicontinued for many years already) Converted it's ESC and Battery from Deans to XT-60. Maybe now I can maiden it. LOL

ClaytonArcher

Would anybody be interested in a mighty mini crop duster? Threw together some REALLY ROUGH plans for it a few minutes ago. Gonna build it once I'm done with my sportster. Theres many things that need to be fixed for the second version that can only be done through building it View attachment 178944
How did the mini duster come out? Do you still have the plans? I’m building the old FT plans now, but my 4 year old wants his own. I thought a mini would be awesome for him.

Bricks

Master member
Had some time today so pulled out one of my 72 incherd with a 120 Sato four stroke that I had picked up. It had a 72mhz receiver in it and changing it out Spektum DSMX. I may redo the throttle linkage as I do not like the way the builder has it set up.
IMG_20210324_154949085.jpg

Bricks

Master member
While I was at it I was in the middle of converting this 4 Star from electric to IC using an NGH 35 cc. Who ever scratch built this not exactly a work of art or built that well. It's going to be a big old beater has a 84 inch wingspan more than likely going to fly like a trainer.
IMG_20210324_153834207.jpg