FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Timmy

Legendary member
I have towed a glider up with a bike. I've found that when you're ground-towing you need to mount the tow hook very close to the CG like you would for a bungee or winch tow. If you have the tow hook more forward like you would for an aero-tow, you won't be able to gain much altitude.
Makes sense, because you're basically flying a kite when you ground tow.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Did some more work on the RMRC Surfer 1500 today. The decals on the top of the wing were perpetually peeling, so I cut them in a few spots where they were clear and put the individual stripes on. If those peel, I'll pull them and just paint some stripes on instead. Found and built the equipment/battery tray. Just need to glue it in. Need to find the FPV canopy which I already set up with a pan servo. May just maden it LOS and not bother with FPV. Thinking about making a XT-30 to XT-60 adapter and flying it with a Li-Ion. It has a pretty tame motor and ESC, so it should not drag it down too much. I have some individual Li-Ion cells that are higher draw to build some packs too.

Found and charged the lame NiMh Slash battery. Hard to believe how bad it is compared to the LiPo.

JennyC6

Elite member
Picked up a Super Sportster 40 project from the LHS with a TT 46 on the nose. Haven't done much with it yet; need to order a receiver, battery for it.

Also picked this gem up that needs an airframe!

Mulling over putting my Thunder tiger GP-07 in a Mighty Mini Zero SBK. Oh, and for the off-road track?

20210324_001316.jpg

NB48 2.0 + OS 30VG = all the fast!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I learned to fly a helicopter on the simulator. I still oscillate while trying to hover, but I can get up and down 🙂

I picked up a tip from a full-scale pilot recently. While this may not be news to many, it was to me. Here goes: once you get going forwards, the chopper behaves like a fixed-wing. The only real difference is that you need to keep the tail aligned with the direction of flight.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
LA racer is airworthy again. Fortunately everything except the horizontal was saveable (it was destroyed so I traced it out and scratchbuilt another one) The wing was rejoined and recovered (i added a strip of 6 oz glass over the center section to hopefully prevent the wing ejecting again) and the fuselage actually had no damage other than the tailwheel being ripped out and the gear being flattened.

PXL_20210328_195245308.jpg

The thing that I'm most pleased about now is the fact that this airplane now has no Toughlon on it. I certainly won't miss it.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I learned to fly a helicopter on the simulator. I still oscillate while trying to hover, but I can get up and down 🙂

I picked up a tip from a full-scale pilot recently. While this may not be news to many, it was to me. Here goes: once you get going forwards, the chopper behaves like a fixed-wing. The only real difference is that you need to keep the tail aligned with the direction of flight.
Nice! There aren't very many things more satisfying than learning to fly a chopper. Keep it up!

JennyC6

Elite member
LA racer is airworthy again. Fortunately everything except the horizontal was saveable (it was destroyed so I traced it out and scratchbuilt another one) The wing was rejoined and recovered (i added a strip of 6 oz glass over the center section to hopefully prevent the wing ejecting again) and the fuselage actually had no damage other than the tailwheel being ripped out and the gear being flattened.

View attachment 196472

The thing that I'm most pleased about now is the fact that this airplane now has no Toughlon on it. I certainly won't miss it.
That thing's actually got really nice lines on it. NGL I wouldn't object to an airframe myself, though I wouldn't use an OS LA series on it. Probably put a Saito 45 or OS FS48 on it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well no flying today but I did fix my slash and drive it around a bit. I had to replace one of the driveshaft outputs, and then I hooked up this new Spektrum transmitter and receiver to it. It started life as the 2wd brushed version, but it since has been very heavily modified including the power plant. However it really suffered from the lack of tsm especially when doing track racing. So I hooked it up with a Spektrum setup with AVC and did some bashing this afternoon! It was so much fun! Now I need to solder up an adapter so I can use my ec-3 batteries in it.
F4B697BC-16FB-4F0F-9C56-9CEC1C0A87CE.jpeg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
That thing's actually got really nice lines on it. NGL I wouldn't object to an airframe myself, though I wouldn't use an OS LA series on it. Probably put a Saito 45 or OS FS48 on it.
Yeah my spare Magnum 52 would probably be a perfect match for it. The only reason this has an LA series engine is because of club 40 rules requiring it. Maybe once this one gets too beat up and heavy from repairs to be competitive and I get another to replace it, it'll get retired to fun flying with a 4 stroke on it.

Last race though I remember there was one guy using a Thunder Tiger GP42 and nobody was able to beat him, but I'm not sure if it was indeed down to it making more horses or if it was superior piloting or less airframe weight, or some combination of all three. I might get one just to experiment with. They're not real expensive second hand now anyway...

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
Order an LA racer soon ad you can. Once airborne models sells out of their stock, they're gone for good. They're the US distributors for world models