FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Definitely him
7259BBDF-A55E-43C9-BC0F-D4C052E391E3.jpeg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
thought getting to the field and racing early would be a good idea. less heat, no direct sun, magic hour as they call it. turns out the lighting is horrible and you cant see nothing. we tried for awhile but finally gave up and went flying.

this is me driving LOS after throwing in the towel. you can see how bad the view was.

still fun though...

me :cool:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Got some sailing in today ..
A but too gusty for comfort...
Next one I build.. I'll use a heavier ballast on the end of the keel ..
Please note.. 100% scratch built..
Anyone interested in plans??

Attachments

• DSC_0114.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0117.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
thought getting to the field and racing early would be a good idea. less heat, no direct sun, magic hour as they call it. turns out the lighting is horrible and you cant see nothing. we tried for awhile but finally gave up and went flying.

this is me driving LOS after throwing in the towel. you can see how bad the view was.

still fun though...

That is because all FPV cameras default to an indoor over saturated setting. Depending on the camera you can get much better base views in any light where all you need is to adjust brightness and contrast to adapt to different lighting conditions. One of the reason I tell every one to stay away from AIO camera / vyx combos where you can not adjust anything other then maybe a few crappy indoor presets on a very few of them.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i myself have switched to buying nothing but lemon Rx. i wasn't a fan at first but think that was more issues with me than the product. i have put a lemon in all of my last 10 planes. including this one...

20210924_161409.jpg

no issues, other than the plane being nowhere near as fast as advertised. :LOL:

i also decided to rig up another attempt at the PA XR-61. i have a new motor box but i have reinforced the current one so much that i am afraid it will not be pretty if i try and replace. so, we came up with option #2 which would not allow stock nose to fit, so a FB front cone was ahcked together. please don't tell PA. :censored:

20210925_135834.jpg

oh, and i flew this today...

Viper 90mm.jpg

good day,

JennyC6

Elite member

Makin' some real good progress on my Long EZ! I got the CG right, the canards mixed right, now a perry pump has the 46AX reliably fed! Just need to tune on the LSN a little....a right pain in the butt since I have to drop the muffler to get my screwdriver onto the LSN...then fit a tee and a fuel dot to the line leading to the pump for fuelling, a remote glow clip so my glow driver doesn't have a chance encounter with the 11-6P APC on the back, put the cowl back on, and it's done. Regular everyday flier at that point.

It flies so damn nice!
i myself have switched to buying nothing but lemon Rx. i wasn't a fan at first but think that was more issues with me than the product. i have put a lemon in all of my last 10 planes. including this one...

View attachment 208345

no issues, other than the plane being nowhere near as fast as advertised. :LOL:

i also decided to rig up another attempt at the PA XR-61. i have a new motor box but i have reinforced the current one so much that i am afraid it will not be pretty if i try and replace. so, we came up with option #2 which would not allow stock nose to fit, so a FB front cone was ahcked together. please don't tell PA. :censored:

View attachment 208354

oh, and i flew this today...

View attachment 208357

good day,

Some nice birds you got there, but I avoid LemonRX like the plague. I don't trust grey market off shore clone receivers to fly any farther than I can throw them.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Well it's taken a few months longer than I wanted, but I finally have this thing (mostly) finished. Just gotta wait for the wind to come down out of the double digits to test fly it...

383192_7928d50c82f14e0446c79a57a4bbabd5.jpg

PXL_20210927_205604768.jpg

JennyC6

Elite member
Well it's taken a few months longer than I wanted, but I finally have this thing (mostly) finished. Just gotta wait for the wind to come down out of the double digits to test fly it...

View attachment 208528
View attachment 208529
Mmmmmmmm....ssaito thump...should let us hear that thing ticking over in the mean time!

Speaking of Saito thump, I've got a smol bipe that might prove a good home for a Saito 62! 40" wingspan, calls for a 45 2c. Has silk and dope covering! I might just go gas with it; throw an FG-11 on the nose. But I could also use a 62 glow; same displacement same case. Decisions decisions....

Attachments

• bipe1.jpg
    bipe1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bipe2.jpg
    bipe2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bipe3.jpg
    bipe3.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bipe4.jpg
    bipe4.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 0

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Mmmmmmmm....ssaito thump...should let us hear that thing ticking over in the mean time!

Same engine and same airplane too, before I stripped it down to the bones and refurbished the whole thing. It was falling apart and really needed it. I'll have a flight video uploaded probably as soon as the weather cooperates...

Speaking of Saito thump, I've got a smol bipe that might prove a good home for a Saito 62! 40" wingspan, calls for a 45 2c. Has silk and dope covering! I might just go gas with it; throw an FG-11 on the nose. But I could also use a 62 glow; same displacement same case. Decisions decisions....

lol that's cute. It looks seriously vintage too. I wonder how old it is? If it's got electronics still in it that should probably help you pin down the exact age.

I would go for an FG-11, because dope is not actually entirely glow exhaust proof. The trace amounts of methanol, nitro and nastier stuff like nitric acid will slowly eat away at a dope finish, especially if you run a lot of nitro. Gas exhaust is much more benign; there's a reason that if you paint your birds in latex gas won't hurt them. It is much hotter, but if you do an adequate enough job of deflecting it away from the airframe everything should be peachy keen.

JennyC6

Elite member
lol that's cute. It looks seriously vintage too. I wonder how old it is? If it's got electronics still in it that should probably help you pin down the exact age.
Nah. Has a fuel tank in it though. And linkages. Clunk even clunks! The thing's in friggin immaculate condition, solid as a brick -beep-house with nary a scratch in the covering.

Which is good, because I can't repair silk and dope covering.

I would go for an FG-11, because dope is not actually entirely glow exhaust proof. The trace amounts of methanol, nitro and nastier stuff like nitric acid will slowly eat away at a dope finish, especially if you run a lot of nitro. Gas exhaust is much more benign; there's a reason that if you paint your birds in latex gas won't hurt them. It is much hotter, but if you do an adequate enough job of deflecting it away from the airframe everything should be peachy keen.
Mmm. While true, it was also designed and built before small gassers like that were even available. What truly makes me want to use an FG-11 is all the nose weight the thing needed last time it flew; there's a good 3 or 4 ounces of stick on wheel weights lining the underside of the nose and it has a huge bulky aluminum adjustable engine mount that weighs half a ton! If it needs that much nose weight anyway it shouldn't care about carrying two batteries and a CDI unit. Horizon claims 13-7 APC @ 8800RPM for the FG-11 which translates to 6.2lbs static thrust. Should be plenty of power, though I will be using a scimitar wood prop instead 'cause bipes with APC props are crimes against humanity.

Side note I have a 16oz Hayes tank that's been used for gas in the past sitting here I could put in it. Bet it'd have a decent flight time on that hahahahaha

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FINALLY got around to re-assembling my 3D printer. Now I hope to finish a few of those 3D printed plane projects that I started. May need to pitch a few spools of filament since some really old ones are about 5 years old and brittle.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FINALLY got around to re-assembling my 3D printer. Now I hope to finish a few of those 3D printed plane projects that I started. May need to pitch a few spools of filament since some really old ones are about 5 years old and brittle.
And now that it is back together, I'm having to MANUALLY re-tune the Hotend PID to account for the new Temperature sensor. Got it pretty well dialed in +-1 degree which is MUCH better than the +-6 degrees that the Auto PID tune results provided. Seems the firmware version on this printer does not do so well generating good PIDs (M303). My other two printers have been almost spot on with the M303 auto PID tunes. Less variation in temperature means better and more consistent print quality.
1632972047896.png

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: A little more fiddle farting around and it's pretty close to +-.3
1632983380448.png

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/811305435104542731/895859751462768710/20211007_212529_1.mp4

Building myself a SIG Hummer for my Norvel 061. Decided 'ye I fly off mirror smooth tarmac so why not retracts?'.

Welp. Retracts. In a 1/2a airplane. Will be using a single FT 9g servo to work both struts. Need to sheet the lower portion of the wing, which I'll do after servo installation since I'll need to be able to get to linkage stoppers inside the area while setting up the linkages, sand, build wheel bays, then cover, hinge, and install the ailerons. Then...wing done. on to the fuse!

Aircraft is bloody tiny; `1.25" wheels being used here.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
ROCKIN out to 4 Non Blondes, digging out all my tricopters, and working on getting them all flight worthy. Bound up the Nano-Tri and Mini-tri Max to my RM TX16s and configured/tested all the TX/RX params. Hope to do some simple LOS flights tomorrow and dig in to the Baby Tris and my other Mini tri tomorrow. Last attempt with the other mini tri it wanted to flip over, so probably just need to flip the board orientation 180 degrees. Baby Tri#2 flew up at Edgewater the last time I tried to fly it. Unfortunately only had one super saggy pack and din't get too far. Most of my tris have been updated to F405 FCs and haven't flown in 2+ years. The nano has never flown. Gotta get them all migrated to the TX16S. Created a Tricopter folder (category) just for them.

Re-glued (foam tac) the right vertical Stabilizer on Nano-Goblin#2. Knocked it loose lately stacking too much hanger in the Insight.

Took another look through all my old stuff trying to find bigger wheels for the FT simple Cub build but still coming up empty. Will maden on the small wheels for now. Took a quick look at what I need to do to finish the vinyl. Just gotta get this puppy done and work on updating the build thread, maiden, and other Piper challenge tasks. Want it in the air this week with video.

Cheers!
LitterBug

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
on your marks, get set, go!!!!

20211014_191821.jpg

FPV racing the buggies down @ D's place in Benson, AZ. all i can say is, stupid fun. ;)

the pic above was provide by another member who just got a Insta360 and video should be epic. (y)

laters,

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 209750

FPV racing the buggies down @ D's place in Benson, AZ. all i can say is, stupid fun. ;)

the pic above was provide by another member who just got a Insta360 and video should be epic. (y)

laters,

I also did some rc rippage today, I had a blast with the Traxxas e revo 2.0 and the 1/5 scale Arrma Kraton. Both are so much fun.
DAB226DF-6ECB-4547-B98D-0FCF225271C1.jpeg

Bo123

Elite member
I finally got some parts to fix and old rc car. Will have a go at fixing it this weekend, and maybe add fpv like you.

laters,

JennyC6

Elite member

View attachment 209750

laters,

Need to do some of that with my FPV buggy. Also need to retreive my goggles; left them at the flying field thursday and they're in the clubhouse safe and sound. But I don't have a key therein.