FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

jaredstrees

Well, she’s done and hoped for a maiden today. Little too gusty.
CF0F341A-E1BC-49C2-A4E9-F32E0606BD19.jpeg

jaredstrees

You’d think a Yukon would hold lots of planes. It does, but this is a mess. Got to come up with something better.

Attachments

• 4AA8FCC5-1DAB-4154-BC14-945F5C8C6C43.jpeg
    4AA8FCC5-1DAB-4154-BC14-945F5C8C6C43.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You’d think a Yukon would hold lots of planes. It does, but this is a mess. Got to come up with something better.

Yer gonna need a bigger boat.

All i did was burn 20 dvds of old flight footage to clear some space. My 2tb drive had 89mb left AFTER scheduled defrag the other night.

jaredstrees

Yer gonna need a bigger boat.

All i did was burn 20 dvds of old flight footage to clear some space. My 2tb drive had 89mb left AFTER scheduled defrag the other night.
thank Psy. But my wife decided today that She wants a Jeep. So another chapter to unravel! Doubt the airplane trailer is gonna materialize first!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I totally blame @GEORGELCBLACK for this because his thread on building a thrust stand got me hankering to do an electronics / programming project. There hasn't been a piece of foamboard cut or glued in my garage-aboratory for the last few weeks while I tinkered with this thing and finished the software, and I have not been as engaged with the community as I'd like - but thankfully it's basically done now - a fully instrumented (kinda) and automated thrust stand.

Works better than it looks.

IMG_3784.JPG

Close up of the load cell and beam-break RPM meter...

IMG_3785.JPG

Close up of the breadboard. Got a 5V regulator, infra-red Rx/Tx RPM sensor, 6 voltage dividers for monitoring the individual cells up to 6S, hall effect current sensor, and instrumentation amplifier made up with two LM358s for the load cell, potentiometer control of the ESC, and yep - thats a pitot tube for airspeed (hope to use it for EDF thrust tube testing).

IMG_3786.JPG

And here is the software in action during a pre-programmed run - basically you can set up a run with various throttle levels at various times and it will run it automatically and record the data when its done.
IMG_3787.JPG

Then you can analyze the data afterwards, looking at different parameters and overlaying data from different tests.

Analysis.jpg

Hard to describe this as a tool more than a toy - I had a lot of fun playing with the electronics and software. Will post the software (executable and source) a little later.

DamoRC

d8veh

Elite member
Great project. The most useful chart for me would be efficiency and thrust vs RPM, but for some reason the motor manufacturers never provide that info.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Great project. The most useful chart for me would be efficiency and thrust vs RPM, but for some reason the motor manufacturers never provide that info.

Thanks!

The software can plot basically any parameter versus any other parameter. Thrust vs RPM not a problem or Thrust per Watt consumed. Efficiency requires that the mechanical power output be measured by including torque load cells in the design and I have not added them to mine, but the software supports it. The software also will produce "Calculated" mechanical power output based on the moment of inertia of the propeller and the acceleration of the motor/prop combo, but its not a great measure for efficiency. It can be used to characterize the motor with a flywheel, basically it can operate as an inertial dyno.

DamoRC

d8veh

Elite member
It's the difference between output and input power that burns a motor. High current is no problem as long as you have high efficiency, or the other way round, low current can burn a motor if you have low efficiency. The problem is that by measuring thrust, you have to take into consideration propeller efficiency, so not easy to get the motor's actual output power.

jaredstrees

Still waiting on my radicalrc stick 400 for the balsa build along, so I threw together a viggen. She will hopefully maiden this weekend, and if all goes well she'll get some colors.
VIGGEN.JPG
VIGGEN.JPG

Tench745

Master member
I heard a 3D aerobatics routine referred to as "an aerial ballet." But I've decided that "aerial krumping" is a far more accurate description and 3D aerobatics shows should be advertised, run, and billed as such. I think it would actually make them a lot more interesting.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I heard a 3D aerobatics routine referred to as "an aerial ballet." But I've decided that "aerial krumping" is a far more accurate description and 3D aerobatics shows should be advertised, run, and billed as such. I think it would actually make them a lot more interesting.

I learned a new word today - thanks @Tench745 !

DamoRC

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I totally blame @GEORGELCBLACK for this because his thread on building a thrust stand got me hankering to do an electronics / programming project. There hasn't been a piece of foamboard cut or glued in my garage-aboratory for the last few weeks while I tinkered with this thing and finished the software, and I have not been as engaged with the community as I'd like - but thankfully it's basically done now - a fully instrumented (kinda) and automated thrust stand.

Works better than it looks.

View attachment 118203

Close up of the load cell and beam-break RPM meter...

View attachment 118204

Close up of the breadboard. Got a 5V regulator, infra-red Rx/Tx RPM sensor, 6 voltage dividers for monitoring the individual cells up to 6S, hall effect current sensor, and instrumentation amplifier made up with two LM358s for the load cell, potentiometer control of the ESC, and yep - thats a pitot tube for airspeed (hope to use it for EDF thrust tube testing).

View attachment 118205

And here is the software in action during a pre-programmed run - basically you can set up a run with various throttle levels at various times and it will run it automatically and record the data when its done. View attachment 118206

Then you can analyze the data afterwards, looking at different parameters and overlaying data from different tests.

View attachment 118207

Hard to describe this as a tool more than a toy - I had a lot of fun playing with the electronics and software. Will post the software (executable and source) a little later.

DamoRC

Fancy!

Um, any one know of any clubs in the Willamette Valley of Oregon that will answer an email about new members? I went through AMA site and then emailed... NOTHING. I have heard from a work contact about a private air park out in Hillsboro. The owner I heard is nice. the next chance I get, heading over there.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Not quite sure how baking gets infused with RC flight but does this mean we have to call Damo "Krump Cakes" from now on?

@DamoRC are you pokin fun at me with the cyborg art hehe

jaredstrees

Got a chance for two maidens today. Little windier than I’d like but couldn’t help myself.

New viggen flew great. Needed a little down trim but she’s earned some colors.

3D northern pike was next. Little harder to launch but she flew! Actually flew really well. A little too well. I could not get this plane down! She floats and floats and floats. So after the third attempt I thought I had it, then realized I didn’t have enough room. As I tried to pull up she stalled. The crash was spectacular. Foam board just doesn’t crash like plastic does!

64531092-16F6-4045-8ADD-A554DA327352.jpeg
64531092-16F6-4045-8ADD-A554DA327352.jpeg
08E99624-8D30-49AB-AB8D-AA1868890B90.jpeg
08E99624-8D30-49AB-AB8D-AA1868890B90.jpeg
A2A9E23F-FC2E-42B7-86F5-48263D830169.jpeg

So it was my first attempt at a 3D printed plane and I’m happy with how it turned out. Got another printing right now.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Man, it looks like you had a bomb in the plane go off.
Are you going to reprint the whole thing or are parts of it still useable?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I taped up my Sportster after a bad nose dive crash. I used my gorilla hands to smash it back into shape and then use a whole lot of packing tape to secure the nose back into position. I think it will fly again...This plane has been through hell and back again, but it just keeps going...although this may be the last straw for it...As you can see the tail section already broke off a long time ago...Hot glue and tape does wonders for these crappy foam board planes...
IMG_0381.JPG

jaredstrees

I’m going to reprint the whole thing. There were some parts that didn’t print great. I figured for a first go who cares and slapped it together. I was pleasantly surprised at how well she flew. She could slow down to a crawl and then turn up the speed and haul butt. Nice plane.