FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Just one of those great days. Yesterday was supposed to be overcast and chilly but ended up being blue skies and sunshine.

Flew two packs in each of the Arrow, the Edge, both Diamonds (64mm and 70mm versions), the Gee Bee, and the F-100. Tried to remember my RC resolution on pattern flying and spent some time trying to make good loops and inside and outside knife edges.

Bonus was meeting some new folks, some RCers, some just curious onlookers, all a pleasure to talk to.

Came home really satisfied with the morning's flying and friend making.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Had a good weekend as well. Got stuff done.

@hobbyking Phoenix 2000 ready for maiden. AUW is about 1.3kg with my mods (rubber band mounts and laminated wing) and a 2200 3s.
IMG_20190223_082302.jpg IMG_20190223_082324.jpg
I got a great deal on a Soar Ahead Sailplanes brand Wildthing Mini (30") from a facebook friend in Ireland. Got it put back together from shipping and ready for maiden using my now favorite goto frsky RX for $11.
IMG_20190221_173854.jpg IMG_20190223_112312.jpg IMG_20190223_121144.jpg
And after a year and four months i finally got the 71" F-100 ready for maiden. I removed 1.3kg of weight converting to slope soaring. And added about 240g back in lead and battery in the nose to get cg. 4kg AUW now.
IMG_20190224_143446.jpg IMG_20190224_210842.jpg IMG_20190224_212516.jpg

And i started up the Cricut and cut out a bunch of FAA vinyl stickers and started tagging my planes for the new FAA marking requirements that went into effect over the weekend.

IcedStorm777

Can you attach a normal size ESC, Motor, and/or servos to a UMX "brick" control board? I ask because i want to do a bigger build but have several UMX recievers sitting around and can't currently afford a normal reciever. Thanks

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Could be doable. Do you have a good pic of the board. Probably will need a separate BEC if you are gonna drive regular servos. Tricky bit will be getting the throttle signal from the board for the ESC. Was the UMX brushed or brushless?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
IDK, i can probably get you a pic by tomorrow, i am just headed out. Quick question, what wingspan would you reccomend if i was running 2x http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepower-370-Sport-1350kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor_p_1764.html on 7x4 two blade propellers? I am building a De Havilland mosquito. Anyone one know of any 3 blade props that would be good to run this on? I am hoping to have it look semi scale. Thanks!
I'd probably build around 35 in.

These props would work https://www.apcprop.com/product/bd6x4-2e-3-b4/

IcedStorm777

Cool! Thank you, i am actually switching from a Mosquito to a P-61 Black Widow as it will be an easier build for the wings.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
So it wouldnt work'?

As you add diameter, pitch, and number of blades to a prop, you increase the load on the motor. So a 6x4x4 blade will load your motors up more than the 6x3x4 blade which means it will pull more amps. I couldn't get the link to work so I can't see the specs on this motor (it seems to be discontinued by Headsup). There is a general equation I came across some time back that allows you to calculate the different loads that a propeller will place on your motor. Its D^3 x P x (N-1) ^ 0.5 where D is the prop diameter, P is the pitch and N is the number of blades. I can't say that it is 100% reliable because it can't account for propeller style, but in my experience it is a good ballpark for whether you are going to kill a motor by overloading it with a prop. Do you have a different link or a copy of the motor specs?

IcedStorm777

No i apologize i got them for free so don't know a ton about them. So i am gonna try something really stupid... For science! I am attaching 2x of the blades mentioned above making it a 8 bladed prop (which makes it look awesome and like a turboprop). I am putting this on a racer plane i am making kind of like a Mig 3- 34. I am aware that i will probably blow the engine up but... FOR SCIENCE!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Cool! You gonna start with one? Can you measure current draw? Remember, you could fry your esc before the motor burns up in the name of science.

IcedStorm777

I will post the vids once i get back. One is just a thrust check and the other is on my friends face to show how much air it is moving.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I will post the vids once i get back. One is just a thrust check and the other is on my friends face to show how much air it is moving.

Did he sign a consent form (seeing as we are doing this for science)? ;)

Seriously though, please keep your body parts, and those of your friends away from experiments involving propellers. :poop: happens.

jaredstrees

Just got wind my multi-protocol module has arrived for the taranis. Hopefully I can make it and my new blade 230s v2 talk tonight. If that works out we may get a maiden tomorrow!

IcedStorm777

LOL no but we were decently safe this morning. But last night we were testing stuff at 1 in the morning so that was a wee bit sketchy. The videos are not posting sorry. I don't know why but i will say the motor and prop combo moves a LOT of air and also sounds a lot like a turbine as a result of the amount of blades.