• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Wait if i disassembled a hair dryer and soldered the heating element to my motor wires and then put the heat part on the back of one of my ESC's wouldn't that add a lot of thrust as the air coming through the ESC would then be heated causing it to expend and be expeled out the back more rapidly????
In theory yes that would add thrust, but the amount of weight would of the heating system would be more than the amount of thrust you would be adding. A hair dryer can only heat to about 140 degrees F. turbojet exhaust are at around 2300 degrees F and ramjet engines are almost at 4000 degrees F.
every time i said ESC i meant EDF sorry
At the bottom of your post there is a selection for you to edit you post.

Wait if i disassembled a hair dryer and soldered the heating element to my motor wires and then put the heat part on the back of one of my ESC's wouldn't that add a lot of thrust as the air coming through the ESC would then be heated causing it to expend and be expeled out the back more rapidly????
No, the thermal energy you could impart to the flow of air would be next to nothing and destroy your ESC/battery. That why heating your house is about the biggest expense of a household bill. That's why reheats on jets engines are only used for short bursts as it eats fuel, even though jet fuel is 50 to 100 times more energy dense than batteries.

In theory yes that would add thrust, but the amount of weight would of the heating system would be more than the amount of thrust you would be adding. A hair dryer can only heat to about 140 degrees F. turbojet exhaust are at around 2300 degrees F and ramjet engines are almost at 4000 degrees F.

At the bottom of your post there is a selection for you to edit you post.
Thanks, anyone know of something that is really light but really hot? And thanks! i didn't know about that!

I edited this part in... Thanks@grifflyer

I just maidened my new simple scout :D!

It was a very brief flight because people were arriving for a tee-ball game on the field I was flying on, but I am already in love with this plane :love:. It popped right into the air and although it was very maneuverable it is still the easiest plane I have ever flown, and to top it all off it landed itself with no input from me!

It's windy again and I have some build time. I can always come back to the tailed version of my slender delta and iron out the last few kinks, but I decided on a little detour first. I did a little research and found that people have flown some RET deltas with decent success, so I took the basic premise of a lower aspect, higher sweep delta...and combined it with the rear end of a nutball. I'm going for a plane that handles similar to a nutball but less pitchy, with better wind resistance. Here's what I came up with. Just awaiting a top hatch, everything looks and feels good.

Attachments

The nutty delta only took a few hours and the winds still raging, so I've been building a second delta to maiden (hopefully) tomorrow. This one is basically my AET tailed one. The wing aspect came out a bit wider than last one because I'm adding wingtip plates rather than cracking dihedrals, but it is still quite highly swept. I'm trying a more ambitious vertical stabilizer.

Attachments