Legendary member
Nothing like a fresh wing blank to get the excitement flowing👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Worked a bit late finishing up my air frame. All done with no linkages or electronics, nose still open. Big chance of maiden tomorrow if no or low wind throughout the day. If it's windy all day, I will likely throw together a tailed AET version for epic barrel rolls.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, it flew and i was right about the video. using the GoPro sure made it a lot nicer quality. too bad the wing folded in half about 45 secs into the flight. never had that happen before. :LOL:

thankfully the aircraft is ok and i think i can repair the wing and instal a CF arrow shaft for a spar. i am going to take a nap and when i wake up, we will see how i feel. i have another project i really wanted to complete today but may push it back so i can get this one fixed.

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
well, it flew and i was right about the video. using the GoPro sure made it a lot nicer quality. too bad the wing folded in half about 45 secs into the flight. never had that happen before. :LOL:

thankfully the aircraft is ok and i think i can repair the wing and instal a CF arrow shaft for a spar. i am going to take a nap and when i wake up, we will see how i feel. i have another project i really wanted to complete today but may push it back so i can get this one fixed.

laters,

Ooops :(

Vimana89

Legendary member

laters,

Were you using a one sheet thick wing with undercamber? Looks like it on the pic. Very nice and clean but with a wing of such long span, you definitely need more strength. A wing spar would definitely help.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Anyone who buys their foam at the dollar store, or anyone who even has a dollar store near by, look out for these if you don't know already. They are called Hook n Loop Strips. It's generic Velcro that costs a dollar a pack three strips of each side per pack. Similar packs of other brands at Joanns or Walmart or wherever are usually at least $3 a pack. No difference in quality, these are very good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
She flies good now👍but too windy to test right. At first I Lawn darted twice and thought I really botched something. I did but not on the build. It was called not making sure my settings were saved on channel two reversal...DOH!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Strong nose though👍Technically a bit worse than lawn darting because I drove the plane in trying to climb, and only a bit of cosmetic damage. I have all the measurements and build process pics for this one though, and I'll update my thread. She flew decent from what I saw a few seconds before the wind got so much I wasn't flying so much as just staying afloat fighting the wind. I'll have to test full capabilities maybe early tomorrow morning, and do some loops and high alpha, a couple of landings, etc.

OliverW

Legendary member
Deadsticked my mxs in a sheep field. I took off in a point roll about 10 feet off and it quit! My first flight at this new field. We fixed it, and the elevator servo came out! The mounts are broken, so we need a whole new elevator half. Then I flew my yak 55spm. I got 1 flight, then my aileron servo got a whole bunch of slop in the linkage and started to screech. And my micro timber's flap servo came out.. not my best day.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Had time with no wind this morning before work to fly. I did not record but will have plenty of time to in the future. The new V-Sliver is spot on. It exceeds the performance of the prototype in strength, stability, and handling. It turns exceptionally smooth, loops a bit easier, and has less wing rock due to a milder dihedral. The nose is as sleek and aerodynamic as a high mount pusher can be, and there is just no drag on level flight at high throttle,very good speed. The wingtips are sturdy and won't bend in the stresses of flight, and the nose can take a beating. A bit less nose down tendency with trim and the larger elevator. High alpha capability is about even to the prototype, which was already very good.👍👍👍

Vimana89

Legendary member
Hyping my next project, which will likely be called the V-Lancer. This is my AET slender delta build that I almost had dialed in when strong winds took it and never saw it again. I am better prepared to make it work this time. It is basically the V-Sliver with a tailplane and ailerons, with winglets rather than dihedrals. This design is made for barrel rolls and more advanced piloting.