FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
Finished the Micro TSR-2 enough to maiden, and glad I didn't spend time making it pretty. Just torque rolled all day and lawn darted. I think this will need at least a 16" wingspan, but I'll still have to build light if I scale up. It was a good exercise in building this plane, and I learned a lot more about building nicer fuselages. I'll get enough foam board to start a larger scale model soon, although I'm considering other similar types of projects as well. I'll likely be making my AET slender delta first, as it's a familiar platform with which to jump into AET, and then coming back around to the TSR-2 or another cold war era jet. I still also have to touch up the tailed Nutball build a bit.

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i have been scratching my head about a small, very fast, pylon racer.

flew my alpha model the other day twice. first flight was very short and brought back in for a CG adjustment. second flight ended with me folding the wing as soon as i applied full throttle. thankfully it came spinning down in a nice, slow, flutter.

flew it again today after adding a CF arrow shaft to the wing.

still need some work but pretty happy. need to add more down thrust to the motor. the thing just shoots into the sky on full throttle. also need to add some more room in the fuselage to help with cooling and go to a diff prop.

i am using the same set-up i use on my stupid 120+ mph Goblin and it weighs about 50% less so i expect good things once sorted.

Brother Hobby Avenger 2507-2700kv, w/ a 6x5E prop, 60A ESC, and 4S-1300mah. 25" wing span and AUW of 480g. motor should put out close to 2000g thrust. :devilish:

20190706_181156.jpg

plan is another build, add some length, a little width, and a few more degrees of down thrust.

laters,

me :cool:

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
i have been scratching my head about a small, very fast, pylon racer.

flew my alpha model the other day twice. first flight was very short and brought back in for a CG adjustment. second flight ended with me folding the wing as soon as i applied full throttle. thankfully it came spinning down in a nice, slow, flutter.

flew it again today after adding a CF arrow shaft to the wing.

still need some work but pretty happy. need to add more down thrust to the motor. the thing just shoots into the sky on full throttle. also need to add some more room in the fuselage to help with cooling and go to a diff prop.

i am using the same set-up i use on my stupid 120+ mph Goblin and it weighs about 50% less so i expect good things once sorted.

Brother Hobby Avenger 2507-2700kv, w/ a 6x5E prop, 60A ESC, and 4S-1300mah. 25" wing span and AUW of 480g. motor should put out close to 2000g thrust. :devilish:

plan is another build, add some length, a little width, and a few more degrees of down thrust.

laters,

That reminds me of my little Adrenalin I designed back in 2016 , for got about that little guy. Over powered but went like crap until I crashed it.
Ran a NTM 2836 3000kv , 80A esc and 2200 4S battery in it

https://studio.youtube.com/video/sB...ade&utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=/my_videos
2016_1128_193100_001.JPG
2016_1128_193111_002.JPG
2016_1128_193117_003.JPG

Vimana89

Legendary member
Store in town only restocked 2mm trifold. I'll have to give them a heads up. I'll pick more up downtown, but scrounged enough to try a micro(tailed) Nutball. Quick build low risk high reward what's not to love?

Vimana89

Legendary member
10" Tailed Nutball, no electronics installed except motor. No box fuselage, 1 sheet thick spine reincofrcing wing along the belly and providing grip for launch. I weighed with all the electronics to be added sitting on top. 4.5 oz. I calculated wing loading coefficient at around 6.5, squarely in the trainers, park flyers, 3D category. This will run 2s and 5x3 basic props.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Micro tailed nutty is ready to maiden if no wind tomorrow morning! I mad maxed all the wires on top, was lazy, but they are taped down clean. I took on an extra half ounce to upgrade to 3s for power and more forward CG. Might bump my plane to the edge of the next category in wing loading, which still makes it very flyable and smooth, and a bit more wind resistant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Hondo76251

Legendary member
What do you do when you have a cool new plane that you want some awesome aerial shots without using any FPV or chase quads? You stick your wife's DSLR on a tripod in the middle of the runway and buzz that sucker right? Wrong...

I've come close quite a few times, Haven't hit yet! (Knock on Wood)

Here's a still from me and my son doing some "Glider Combat"
glider combat close 2 edit.png

Highlighted around them to make them easier to see... (yes, in paint... lol)

How close was it? Close enough!
glider combat close 1.png

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Lots of flying on both Saturday and Sunday, lost one model (the SU-29) to the great river god.
Rebuilt my 5" quad to use a 4-in-1 ESC rather than discrete ESCS on the arms. Used racewire with built in LEDs to extend the connections to the motors. Result is extra bling on the quad.
Got a little sunburnt despite the factor 50!!! :D

Vimana89

Legendary member
Micro Nutball sucked 🙁. Oh well not much time lost. Too windy now to fly, once again...and haven't had a chance to snag new FB. I'm going to maintain my current planes and clean up and organize my parts, strip down retired airframes, etc. my Sliver needs proper reinforcement in the motor mount area, I built that lazy. Easy fix. My big tailed nutball could use some sprucing up aesthetically and a couple upgrades. I'm going to add some underside/wingtip devices, some non moving extra scout wheels for skids that will widen the fuselage area where it lands and stop the toppling over, detail the cockpit area some more, etc.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sliver motor mount fixed, and TNB given a makeover with under wing rails that are sort of like winglets, redesigned cockpit graphic, nose strakes, non-moving wheels that are really skids, and a couple of spare scout engine cylinders/exhausts. Fresh props on both and charging batteries for morning before the wind.

Attachments

• IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Out of curiosity, any other fans of high alpha flying and tricks, or interested in trying it for the first time? I feel I've gotten proficient enough to consider making a cool high alpha challenge with some exciting but not overly grueling maneuvers that can be rated on a scale. I'm thinking that to get the most amount of participation, I won't require participants to build a new plane specifically for the challenge if they already have one they feel is suitable, but building a fresh one for the event is definitely an option, and links to a handful of plans for easy, reliable,(and super cool)official FT and community released high alpha planes will be provided. Original designs welcome and encouraged.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so, while everyone else is off having fun @Flite Fest i have had to entertain myself with other endeavors...

@Rasterize and myself have been kicking around an idea for a tow glider arrangement using his full sized Guinea pig. it would fall to me the build the glider and arrange the release mechanism.

fast forward to 2 days ago i was cleaning my hangar and realized i didn't need to build a glider, i already had 2 that i had built after the $5 walmart glider episode. all i needed to do was arrange a release mech. so i took the wings from one glider and the fuse from the other and presto, we had a glider almost ready for action.

20190711_140411.jpg

i grabbed a used 5g servo that had been salvaged from a previous project, hacked a few holes and removed some foam. a small piece of balsa and some glue and we were in action. maybe not my "prettiest" work but it is functional. servo is set to the gear switch so it's a full swing one direction or the other. wire simply slips into the little hole until switch is thrown and the wire releases. the tow line then simply slips off. i thought about using another piece of balsa on the opposing side to help take strain off the servo arm, but don't think it's going to be an issue. time will tell and it's an easy fix at a later date if needed.

20190711_140532.jpg

since this is a "glider" and not and "motored" plane you need to figure out how to power everything. since you don't have a motor you don't really need or want an ESC. i did the math and the weight of my smallest ESC (12a) plus at minimum a 2S battery weighed more than this...so i made my own 4.5v power supply. cost $1

20190711_144000.jpg

i used the internals from a $1 Harbor Freight LED flashlight (can even get for free w coupon) and soldered on a servo wire i cut off an old, failed servo. it holds 3 x 1.5v AAA batteries which adds up to 4.5v. the receiver needs 3.5v min and the reason you really don't want to simply use a 1S battery. it will work, but you will be flirting with voltage cutt-offs rather quickly. this arrangement allows you a lot more wiggle room. i have used it on hand made, foam board DLG's with success as well. just plug into any channel you are not using to power the Rx.

just remove the signal line from the servo wire and then solder the pos+ and neg- wires to the appropriate end.

20190711_142937.jpg

the whole picture if you will...

20190711_142920.jpg

the servo wire running from tow release was cut in with my hot wire and then covered with packing take to make it nice and smooth. i am currently working on a turtle deck to cover everything up and hopefully help with the glide characteristics. just need to decide what glue i want to use?

20190711_140432 (1).jpg

hope is to have all pieces, planes, and pilots ready for saturday. cross fingers, this will be a first for me.

laters,

Last edited: