FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
Waiting to get new foam, parts, and tools to sort out my heat problems with the 1806 motors. I did some research on planes with ailerons and full roll capability and found I'd been using improper terminology for something. It turns out a "barrel roll" is something other than what I thought(having grown up with Star Fox). What I've been calling a barrel roll and wanting to achieve in flying AET is actually an axial roll or aileron roll, much simpler. Even with modest ailerons, on 2205 my bird has accidentally done full axial rolls and Immelmann once or twice. I want to get proficient at these.

Tench745

Master member
Waiting to get new foam, parts, and tools to sort out my heat problems with the 1806 motors. I did some research on planes with ailerons and full roll capability and found I'd been using improper terminology for something. It turns out a "barrel roll" is something other than what I thought(having grown up with Star Fox). What I've been calling a barrel roll and wanting to achieve in flying AET is actually an axial roll or aileron roll, much simpler. Even with modest ailerons, on 2205 my bird has accidentally done full axial rolls and Immelmann once or twice. I want to get proficient at these.

Yeah, the term "barrel roll" is probably the most misused aviation term by people both in and out of aviation circles. Barrel rolls, when done correctly, are a very low-G maneuver. The test pilot even performed one in a Boeing 707 to impress investors.
Aileron rolls are much higher G maneuvers.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Yeah, the term "barrel roll" is probably the most misused aviation term by people both in and out of aviation circles. Barrel rolls, when done correctly, are a very low-G maneuver. The test pilot even performed one in a Boeing 707 to impress investors.
Aileron rolls are much higher G maneuvers.
Lower G, yes, but in some ways more complex depending on what type of plane you are flying. As far as I know, a plane that can fly slow in level flight and has excess stability as well as good power is probably a good candidate for an easy low G barrel roll. A low aspect bird that flies quicker straight and slow high alpha has a tougher time with a proper barrel roll, especially a low speed one, but can do axial rolls well if done right. It was cool to see the barrel roll on the 707, definitely something I might try once I get my DR1 kit built. As far as my tailed slender delta, I'm not sure it would be so good at that, even with some design modifications, but it can definitely do axial rolls.

Attachments

• IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Found a dollar store with DTFB that's white paper on one side and colored on the other. Got a couple sheets of banana yellow. Going to try and put together a smaller, simpler, tailed Nutball that won't overheat a 1806.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Flew the AR Stealth Wing 900 and the Transcargo after work this evening. The wing flew nicely but a bit lackluster, have used the throws and pushed the mixes a bit in iNav.
The Cargotrans flies beautifully, a joy to fly. Did a ten minutes flight with two touch and goes. After all that...the 2200 3S battery was still at 70% .... This plane sips at the juice 😆😆

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Found a dollar store with DTFB that's white paper on one side and colored on the other. Got a couple sheets of banana yellow. Going to try and put together a smaller, simpler, tailed Nutball that won't overheat a 1806.
Is it the same weight and strength?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Is it the same weight and strength?
The core is white and seems to be the same stuff as Adams board. The papering is just a hair heavier but seems sort of slick/waterproof almost and feels a lot better quality than normal DTFB. Same dimensions as Adams board and weighs almost identical. I also have an idea for another easy little ret plane I may try.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
This is good foam. Cuts and sands at least as good as basic dollar tree. Any nicks and rough spots on my plane are from using a really dull blade, I need to get more. This is a little 15.8" mini. My experience with micro nutball wasn't good, but this size should be reasonable with 1806 and 5x3 props on 3s 650.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Had to add a bit of nose weight and use an 850 battery to get CG in acceptable range. Still weighs in at a pretty light 9 oz fully loaded. Not sure if 5x3 or 6x3 will have more or less chance of overheating. 5x3 is more docile but might require use of more throttle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
That little yellow nut maidened good. A bit touchy, but definitely airworthy and very agile and fun. No heat problems though I will still investigate why they are happening on my larger 1806 builds. I have a feeling I may be able to get better slow flight out of this and use less throttle with a 6x3 prop so I'm trying that next. I'll compile the best of ny maiden footage and post.

Vimana89

Legendary member
6x3 props added more torque and instability at launch for no power or efficiency bonus. That's a good thing this thing likes cheap 5x3's I've got a huge stash that didn't work well with any other plane. I know what people mean now when they say everything is exaggerated on the handling of smaller planes, as this ones was touchy at first, but I got used to it and enjoy it's responsiveness and agility. Plenty of power on 5x3 and runs 13-14 minutes per 850 3s.

Wildthing

Legendary member
That little yellow nut maidened good. A bit touchy, but definitely airworthy and very agile and fun. No heat problems though I will still investigate why they are happening on my larger 1806 builds. I have a feeling I may be able to get better slow flight out of this and use less throttle with a 6x3 prop so I'm trying that next. I'll compile the best of ny maiden footage and post.

See your own little test just showed you that from the 5x3 to 6x3 you gained nothing and this is with only a 9g plane. With the 6x3 you are now working the motor harder and it can't reach it's full rpm all you gained was torque roll. So with that now you take a larger plane (more weight I assume plus less aerodynamic ( more wind resistance) and put that same power setup onto it you are working it even harder so there comes your heat. You could try the larger plane with the 5X3 prop , you may be shy on thrust but the motor should run cool.

Vimana89

Legendary member
See your own little test just showed you that from the 5x3 to 6x3 you gained nothing and this is with only a 9g plane. With the 6x3 you are now working the motor harder and it can't reach it's full rpm all you gained was torque roll. So with that now you take a larger plane (more weight I assume plus less aerodynamic ( more wind resistance) and put that same power setup onto it you are working it even harder so there comes your heat. You could try the larger plane with the 5X3 prop , you may be shy on thrust but the motor should run cool.
Runs very cool on the little one. Motor is basically at the ambient temperature of its surroundings when it lands. It was a fun experiment, and very informative. Most FT kits that are for 1806 recommend 6x3 for some reason🤔. Once I get that tool I'll know more, but I've had much better success with 5x3.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Took this little guy up.
Looks great! looks like the flaps help you slow down and not stall. Very nimble little plane, surprised at how well it rolls. I've got one bird that *can* do axial rolls, and has by accident, but have not trusted myself to test how well I can do them deliberately, or how well my plane performs them. I'll have to do some research on proper technique. Any tips?

Vimana89

Legendary member
This is the best raw clip of my mini tailed Nutball. This is one of the series of launches right after the maiden launch on the same battery. I begin to get the hang of the handling a bit better.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Looks great! looks like the flaps help you slow down and not stall. Very nimble little plane, surprised at how well it rolls. I've got one bird that *can* do axial rolls, and has by accident, but have not trusted myself to test how well I can do them deliberately, or how well my plane performs them. I'll have to do some research on proper technique. Any tips?
Speed definitely helps,
The more nose heavy your setup is the less axial the rolls will be, they might start looking like barrel rolls.
Make sure you don't move your elevator when you bank the ailerons.

Hoomi

Master member
I ended up sleeping in this morning, so didn't make it out to the flying field. However, I did make it to the Big Box Home Improvement store for some plywood and hardware, and to Industrial Metal Supply for some scrap aluminum pieces. Using a 48" x 57.5" sheet of 15/32" CDX plywood, I built a shelf for inside my truck's shell, so I can carry more planes to the flying field.

My original plan was to have the long dimension across the shell, so that it would sit on the bottom frame of the shell. Unfortunately, with the width of the tailgate opening and the taper of the shell itself, I couldn't manipulate the plywood into the shell in that orientation. On to plan 'B', which involved using some of the aluminum channel as a cross bar in the shell, and other pieces of aluminum to act as fences along the edge of the plywood, stiffeners underneath, and stops to keep the plywood from shifting forward or back whenever the truck changes speed.

Two eyebolts for some bungee cords to stretch across landing gear, in order to help prevent planes from rolling around, and she should be ready for a trip to the SAGE field in the morning. This should allow me to carry at least 3 more planes, possibly more if I get creative in how I arrange them. The shelf is easily removable, if I need to haul something bulky in my truck.
P7271680.JPG

P7271681.JPG

P7271682.JPG

Tronglodon

IMG_20190726_101201.jpg

I built this little guy, I'm just waiting for some little servos to come in the mail. Then of course I'll have to find the perfect mini pilot for the mini scout. I'm thinking either a Pikachu or a my little pony if I can find something in my kids' toy box that will balance nicely.