FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Piotrsko

Master member
Learned a suprising lot about NICADS today: you buy them in pairs, my stuff uses an odd number. They dont last 20 years, or 1000 cycles. For some reason, ALL the $1.99 cheap ones are out of stock. Amazon says they're in stock, but probably in China and they can ship them express in 3 weeks for only double cost. A transmitter pack will not fit back into the battery box if you remove the shrink wrap cover. The bad cell is always in the center of the pack, never the ends like FLA chemistry.
Almost makes me want to convert to dry cells

Hoomi

Master member
My RC activity for Wednesday involved removing the peeling blue decoration from the underside of my Stinger's wings, and painting that area with a shiny red paint.

That, and unboxing, marking, and putting away the two new LiPo batteries I ordered.

Bricks

Master member
We had combat last night 6 planes in the air, wind was so bad we lost 2 combat planes into trees, could hardly fight the wind to keep them over the field. It was attack they try and fly back to the field and start over.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I have been into steampunk for quite a while and im getting into it again, as it happens I have various parts that I could use for props so I threw that together quickly
DSC_2294.JPG
Receiver piece from the sat dish I got a while back and two radio tubes from an old radio, with some LEDs, gears and brass paint it would look nice

Hoomi

Master member
Another coat of metallic red paint for the wingtips, plus filling in the white wedges and painting the nylon skid under the intakes. The model comes stock without landing gear, so it has the skids front and rear for those belly landings. The add-on landing gear is only $12, and well worth it, IMNSHO.

The red contrast replacing the original blue wingtips should make for better visibility in-flight, and easier orientation. The same area on top of the wing is black.
P8081702.JPG

Vimana89

Legendary member
I did a little test today. I have heard the statement once or twice that the more blades a prop has, the less efficient and more of a power hog it is for diminishing returns on thrust. I did some research and found the claim to be true, but with a couple stipulations: besides when they are used for space and clearance concerns, three blade props are used on some trainers(both RC and full scale) because the inefficiency gives them excess thrust at slower speeds, so the plane will have a better speed envelope, better acceleration and punch out(and as I theorized and tested, better high alpha). The battery just might burn out a couple minutes earlier. It's a trade-off.

I tested my V Sliver with 5x5.4.5x2 compared to the normal 5x5.5x3. I needed to power up to full throttle and give a slight shove for a pretty anemic launch, when with the three blade, I'd crank it up to like 75 or 80 and just let go, and it would rocket off. It had garbage punch out, and couldn't do high alpha worth squat. The test would have been better with one of those 5x5.5x2 race props you can get at Graupner USA. I believe this would have made launches better and gave it a bit more punch out and overall thrust, but I bet there would still be some lag and high alpha would still be mediocre. I could be wrong, I may order a couple 5.5x5x2 and see.

All I'm saying is, the statement about prop efficiency is 100% accurate, but when a newb reads somebody say that, there's a danger of "cargo culting" the idea and going "well then three blade props suck then and I guess there's no situation in which I'd want to use one".

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Glad to hear you tested the idea to come to your own conclusion! :D

Personally, I like to throw on a 3 blade prop sometimes for maiden flights, especially for heavy builds and scale bombers, for that high thrust at lower RPM "punch out" behavior that can save a sketchy takeoff!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
3 or more blades on a prop can be far more user friendly especially where you need more thrust but the ground clearance is such that a larger diameter 2 blade prop is too large and will strike the ground during taxiing or on landing causing nose overs or even propeller breakage.

When evaluating multi blade props it is also ideal to compare similar diameter and pitch props. Ideally you should also endeavor to compare props with the same blade profile. If you do not make the props as identical as possible then other factors can skew your results.

Multiblade props are inherently less efficient BUT the larger the prop diameter and the lower the rotational speed the less the difference in efficiency becomes!

Most small diameter multiblade props do not have the aggressive pitch variations over the blade length and so are by design less able to provide as much high speed thrust from the blade root section. This may be a structural requirement due to the blade turbulence caused by the leading blade airflow causing turbulence for the following blades, or it could simply be that most multiblade props of small diameter are designed for Quad usage and so the higher speed thrust part of the curve is not important!

Have fun!

bracesport

Legendary member
reasonably insignificant progress - but (1) I did make a spinner for the SPIT - the 8x6 prop looks tiny now! A bit of sanding and some red paint will do it, and (2) I finally got my servos finished on the DLG (surely I can fit the wing now)! o_O

IMG_7078.JPG
IMG_7079 2.JPG
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 6.30.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 6.31.07 PM.png