FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Phoenix 24

So in general, is the 70mm edf better then the 64, just in general so with a standard quality... I would think the 70mm would give more thrust.

Edit: Also, what's the difference between the 3s and 4s set ups. Does it change the minimum and maximum operational voltage?

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
So in general, is the 70mm edf better then the 64, just in general so with a standard quality... I would think the 70mm would give more thrust.

Edit: Also, what's the difference between the 3s and 4s set ups. Does it change the minimum and maximum operational voltage?

Better thrust for the 70mm, yes. But it is also more weight, and requires a bigger battery since you are pulling more current. So it just depends what is suitable for your size of airframe.

The difference between the 3 Cell and 4 Cell setups is partially in voltage, but more so in current and thrust. Higher cell counts quite significantly more thrust and a higher amperage, which requires a larger battery, and speed controller.

It is also good to note that you can't effectively run the 4S setup on lower voltages either. Each setup is optimized for either 3 or 4 cells, and will only be well suited to that operational voltage.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
I briefly looked at the plane I'm building before rushing out the door this morning. Does that count?

Last edited:

Phoenix 24

Better thrust for the 70mm, yes. But it is also more weight, and requires a bigger battery since you are pulling more current. So it just depends what is suitable for your size of airframe.

The difference between the 3 Cell and 4 Cell setups is partially in voltage, but more so in current and thrust. Higher cell counts quite significantly more thrust and a higher amperage, which requires a larger battery, and speed controller.

It is also good to note that you can't effectively run the 4S setup on lower voltages either. Each setup is optimized for either 3 or 4 cells, and will only be well suited to that operational voltage.

Thank you! I have no experience in edfs so this helps allot. This also makes sense as to why edfs are for more advanced pilots, just the electronics alone!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Took Taz out to rip a few packs and I think I am finally happy with the tune enough to jump to 5s and get ta rippin the race courses.

Psychron

www.youtube.com/psychron
Today I did a speed test of my losi Mni 8ight. It doesn't fly unless there's a ramp.

... and even then it's just falling with style.

So I bought the Mini 8ight and decided I'd like to know what the stock top speed of this thing is on a 2s lipo once you change the gearing to match the recommendations in the manual. Here are my results.

jaredstrees

Climbed a tree to retrieve a BW MKIII after a signal loss. I swear those stupid trees....... Might be about time to upgrade my radio system!

jaredstrees

Currently a fly sky fs-t6 that I got when I was using small quads. Worked fine for that. Now that I'm flying planes I seem to be running into range issues. Or maybe I just got a bad receiver.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I ordered a Crack Pitts Mini from twistedhobbys.com that should be getting here in a few days. The UND RC club made a huge group purchase, and we'll be doing a lot of indoor 3D this winter. At the moment, I think we are also able to use the football team's practice field, which is an enclosed field house about the same size as the Champagne IL fly in venue.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
My friend has one of those and we haven't run into any range issues with it, check the AA's first before you go and try replacing the receiver. If those are new it could be the receiver going bad.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I updated my Whoop with a new "cockroach" frame and special sauce motors. Then I chased my kids around the house for an hour. I wish the betaflight brushed FCs had a turtle or meow mode (like the new FPV Plus)

TINY_WHOOP_SEASON_IS_COMING_large.png

jaredstrees

My friend has one of those and we haven't run into any range issues with it, check the AA's first before you go and try replacing the receiver. If those are new it could be the receiver going bad.

I usually don't. transmitter batteries were fresh. Think I just got a bum receiver. However it is starting to age on me. Going to have to at least get me to spring next year before I can consider an upgrade.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Update on my twisted hobbys situation. The club treasurer put in the order earlier than he said he would, so my pitts is not coming within the next week, nor will I get a discount for a large order if I decide to replace the order myself. Irritating.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I started working on Simple Cub templates with floats. These will be the third set of tiled plans that I printed out at home. I have a new OfficeJet Pro 8710. With the benefit of experience, it is only a little more work than printing the full-size plans.. The little joining guides in the corners are very helpful.

Last edited: