FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

RCLucas

Hey Guys!
Since moving to the Flite Test forums, I've been trying to find a "home" for myself like I did at the RCgroups WDYDRCT thread. I feel like this forum is a more welcoming community, so I decided I wanted to start following threads here. Even so, I felt myself longing to post random stuff as I had on the thread, including of course what I did RC, discussions on new planes, random off topic stuff, etc. Here on the Flite Test forums, we can discuss new FT vids, new planes, ect. Anyways, if anyone is interested, your welcome to post whatever you did RC today, whatever your building, ect.

As an additional note, this was not my idea, it belongs to the legend himself ooOoo, Coolest guy on RCG. I felt this forum deserves to have a off topic thread as well.

:cool:

RCLucas

First!

I'll start us off!
I've been thinking about my next RC step, whether I should go for a new radio, Taranis QX7, which could be purchased by selling my beloved Apprentice, or find a way to purchase it without selling the Apprentice. I could also focus on getting a receiver for my Grand Cruiser, and getting a donated Parkzone Corsair in the air. hhhmm...

On to another topic, who else here have tried Lemon RX receivers? I bought two end pin light weight 6ch RXs, installed one in my Parkzone P-47, and on the forth flight it locked up completely and went in, my first crash! :( Upon crash investigation, I noted one antenna was missing, the other remaining. I wonder if that caused the crash, as the solder joints on the antennas are weak, and the receiver itself is not protected in a case. I installed the other one into the P-47, this time hot gluing around the antennas, although I don't know to trust it again? Should I go back to pricey AR600s, yet have full trust in them? I feel like I bought cheap receivers, then caused a crash that cost more than a AR600 would cost. It didn't, yet I have to buy a cowl and prop, around 18$

Thanks for any answers I get, and welcome to the thread!

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I haven't had any luck with LemonRx receivers. I've tried 3 of them and in all cases, they wouldn't keep the bind with my Spektrum radio. Luckily, I never flew with them so I didn't lose a plane due to their inconsistency. I really really like the form factor of the LemonRx lite receivers and wish that I had confidence in them but I'm not willing to risk the whole plane to save a few grams.

earthsciteach

I'm tweaking the CAD drawing of the Mig-21 edf design I'm working on. At the moment, I'm wasting time trying to unfold the canopy into a flat surface in my brain and draw that surface out just to see if I can. Results so far have been less than perfect. :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've had great luck with 8 LemonRx receivers so far - still two more in the drawer from an order of 10. Never had a binding problem with any of them using a radio module stolen from a DX5e and installed in my Taranis.

Current RC activities are finishing repairs on my 33" Caudron from the weekend's maiden cartwheel, and putting the landing gear back on the EasyStick which pancaked on maiden. Then it's back to building on my 44" Caudron which is ready for the wing servos and folding next.

Also ordering a new ISDT Q6 charger as the magic smoke escaped mine last night. I was putting a 3s1800 back to storage charge and unplugged the battery right after it beeped 'done'. Got a good sized spark out of the main connector, and the charger just hasn't been right since. It's convinced every 3s battery I plug in is holding 35 volts :black_eyed: Note for the future: with the Q6 always unplug power from the charger before removing the battery.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I messed up and smiled while flying my Gremlin. Soo I will either be posting details in my Gremlin build thread or my Bills Law thread when I find out what the smile has done to the quad.

RCLucas

I haven't had any luck with LemonRx receivers. I've tried 3 of them and in all cases, they wouldn't keep the bind with my Spektrum radio. Luckily, I never flew with them so I didn't lose a plane due to their inconsistency. I really really like the form factor of the LemonRx lite receivers and wish that I had confidence in them but I'm not willing to risk the whole plane to save a few grams.

Are you sure that the bind plug was in the right way? And you were at least 2 yards away while binding? Was the receiver DSMX or DSM2, which one is compatible to your TX?
I feel like they are very good, yet I did have an incident that I'm not confident about now. I may purchase a RX satellite add on for extras security, yet that brings the total to around AR600 range.

RCLucas

I'm tweaking the CAD drawing of the Mig-21 edf design I'm working on. At the moment, I'm wasting time trying to unfold the canopy into a flat surface in my brain and draw that surface out just to see if I can. Results so far have been less than perfect. :p

Wow, a Mig-21! It looks like the ridge on top of the body will be hard to replicate or no? Same with the nose! I wish you luck and great success!

I've had one experience with lemon RX and it was positive. I used the 7 channel ( or 6 channel with 3axis stab) and it was great. Just yesterday I was flying my big flimsy f18 park jet when I got a bit carries away and snapped one of the elevons off. The stabilisation (controlling roll through ailerons) helped keep the plane level while I brought it in with the rudder for a perfect landing.

I also have been flying my mini arrow as well as ordering and edf from the states and printing of plans for Ben Harber's A4.

On a side note I can't believe how much better value edfs are from the states. I got international shipping from FMS on a 70mm unit and it still worked out about 70% of the price of an lower standard of unit from hk before shipping.

I might try to order things internationally more often!

Userofmuchtape&glue

I spent today thinking about ordering a bixler 1.1 for my 9 year old brother. he is not that into planes, but he comes flying to spend time with me so I want to get him something so he might enjoy it more.

DharanFlyer

I just bit the bullet and spent the money on a set of Attitude V4 Anniversary editions this morning. GetFPV.com sent out a 5% off your order email so saved almost $20 and free shipping so figured I'd take the dive. Missed a good deal on Facebook and figured I might as well get the cool red ones.

Code is MEMORIAL2017 if you are interested, but it didn't work on the site and I had to call in and talk to them about it.

Haven't tried the Lemon Rx. I use a lot of the Orange ones though and never had an issue.

TexMechsRobot

Are you sure that the bind plug was in the right way? And you were at least 2 yards away while binding? Was the receiver DSMX or DSM2, which one is compatible to your TX?
I feel like they are very good, yet I did have an incident that I'm not confident about now. I may purchase a RX satellite add on for extras security, yet that brings the total to around AR600 range.

I was using a Spektrum DX4e (the super basic 4 channel that comes with some of their RTF stuff). I could get the RX's to bind to the radio but if I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in, all kinds of crazy things would happen.

This was a thread I started a while ago trying to get help on it but I just ultimately gave up. It wasn't worth the headache to me.

RCLucas

I spent today thinking about ordering a bixler 1.1 for my 9 year old brother. he is not that into planes, but he comes flying to spend time with me so I want to get him something so he might enjoy it more.

That's a great idea, wish I had siblings or friends that were interested in the hobby.:(

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I've spent the last 2 1/2 days trying to figure out why my new Emax BlHeli 30a esc used on a fixed wing will not arm properly with a FrSky V8FR-II or V8R4-II receiver without pressing the F/S button on the receiver after applying power. :confused:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I spent last night applying several hundred simulated rivets to my 500 size Apache Gunship fuselage. Its going to be a long build.. I guess that's what rainy days are for though.

DharanFlyer

From what I've seen at the few clubs I've been to there isn't a lot of teens involved at all. I'm the youngest by at least a few decades at mine and I am 31.

RCLucas

From what I've seen at the few clubs I've been to there isn't a lot of teens involved at all. I'm the youngest by at least a few decades at mine and I am 31.

I'd say there are around two teens, both just help their fathers with stuff, not flying.