FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Tench745

Master member
I joined a flying club this week. I'm not the youngest, but at 29 I'm still fairly close. First flight at the new field and I crashed my blunt nose Versa when strong winds folded the center section.
So, I built a stronger prettier version I call the "Versa Spear" IMG_0433.JPG
I hated how much nose weight my Versawing needed and that a standard 2200 3-cell wouldn't fit, so I stole the idea of the center section from the FT Spear. Mine is about half an inch thinner in chord and the trailing edge is only about 3/4" tall instead of the almost 2" of the spear. I'm still tweaking the CG and reflex, but I'm very happy with it. There is no dihedral, like the Spear, so it goes right where you point it upright or inverted, and it can thermal too!

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I've spent the last 2 1/2 days trying to figure out why my new Emax BlHeli 30a esc used on a fixed wing will not arm properly with a FrSky V8FR-II or V8R4-II receiver without pressing the F/S button on the receiver after applying power. :confused:

I figured out my problem, both receivers were bound in V8 non-telemetry mode because they are both non-telemetry receivers. I changed them over to D mode telemetry and the ESC armed with no issue one both receivers. I'm not sure what protocol difference was causing the problem but it's an easy fix they didn't cost me any additional money so I'm excited! :applause:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I still act like I'm 12. My son decided to stay 12 this year too so now my wife has 2 x 12 year olds. Stay young my friends!

What did I do RC today? As always, more like what DIDN'T I do. Complete addict and have been working on all sorts of builds that are half done. I've used a ton of LemonRX and never had a problem with one that wasn't caused by props eating the antennas. Mostly used the Satellite RXes (LM0008 and LM0037), but have a pair of LM0039 PPM in my APM based quads. Serial good.... PWM meh.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I turned 12 for the 37th time this year. What a fun age!

Saw my tricopter have its first fit after attempting a roll at 1/2 mistake high. Fortunately there was no breakage, just nicked up props.

RCLucas

As to what I did RC today, nothing, like every day besides weekends. I need to order some parts, maybe I'll do that tonight.
I need to think about a AR600, cowl and prop for P-47, find a way to get a few y-leads, connecter from EC3 to Deans, what else???? It seems like every time I order stuff from Amazon, I seem to forget something...

liamnave

flyboy
I spent today thinking about ordering a bixler 1.1 for my 9 year old brother. he is not that into planes, but he comes flying to spend time with me so I want to get him something so he might enjoy it more.

Nice!I wish I could do that. Unfourtanatly I dont have a great relationship with any of my five siblings... I spend about 80% of my time in the garage, whitch may have something to do with it. My siblings are 2, 5, 7, 14, and 16. Any ideas for how to get them in the hobby without spending 500$?

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I have been researching different covering methods for foam planes. Specifically different ways to "glass" foam. I have used epoxy finishing resin and fiberglass but i really dont like working with epoxy and it smells. I have found a ton of examples and info on using minwax polycrylic and polyurethane over fiberglass or any cloth actually like silk. Also found a bunch of examples of people using waterproof woodglue watered down to thin and applying brown butcher/craft paper on wings for strength. To test these out in something that would not fall out of the sky i decided to try my hand at a fpv style airboat cut from home depot insulation foam. I usually use hot wire cutters to do this foam but decided to try some wood hand saws and sand paper just to see what i have been missing :)

IMG_20170521_154417.jpg IMG_20170522_185011.jpg IMG_20170522_185015.jpg IMG_20170524_180455.jpg IMG_20170524_180501.jpg IMG_20170524_180545.jpg

Final dimensions is around 22"x32x4". Will be spinning a triple blade prop 9x5. Motor should be putting out around 2kg thrust on 3s. I just need to cut out a center bay to keep water and electronics apart and than i am going to fill in all the holes/cracks with light weight spackle before i do a 3/4oz fiberglass and polyurethane "glass" finish on it.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Flew my Tiny Trainer again today. That make 29 flights and 253 minutes on the airframe so far and no major damage, only 2 broken props.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Nice!I wish I could do that. Unfourtanatly I dont have a great relationship with any of my five siblings... I spend about 80% of my time in the garage, whitch may have something to do with it. My siblings are 2, 5, 7, 14, and 16. Any ideas for how to get them in the hobby without spending 500$?

Yeah I can relate to that! Mine are 3, 5, 7, 9 and 14. The 9 year old only comes flying with me to spend time together, but it rarely works out that well. I was showing him planes on Hobbyking and clicked on a car by mistake, now he wants a $200 car and they are not really my thing. I am happy to buy him a plane, but not so much a car.
(Big meanie I am :black_eyed:)

I spend %80 or more of my time in my workshop like you, I am very introverted so I like being alone. (ISTP)

If you have a charger and some basic stuff, a Bixler, radio, ESC and battery is about $200 in Australia.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I'd suggest a Hobbyzone Champ RTF. Simple to fly, with so little mass that a crash rarely hurts it. Just pass around the transmitter for a while, and they'll get the hang of flying before you know it :D. I tried that with my little brother, and it at least got him interested.

RCLucas

I'd suggest to buy a couple power packs and a bundle of Lemon RXs and build a bunch of FT Explorers and other simple FT designs. Or buy a Eflite Apprentice for around 300$ RFT and let them share it!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Simplest or cheapest would be to build them half a dozen or more KFM flying wings. Mine cost less than $100 AUD using all new electronics.

They are very robust and simple and fly seriously well.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!