FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Last week I filled my shop with 4 planes I'm holding for a friend to take to the club auction while he's away marrying off his daughter. Which makes it a little difficult to move around as I was already planning to take 4 planes of my own to the auction to clear out space. I counted again and have five (5) planes ready for a maiden flight too - and depending on how those first flights go, two of those planes might end up at auction too.

But, I did take the 'piece of the py-lon' that came home from the FFE17 Air Races and turned it into a foam airplane work stand, and started on the finishing touches for Psyborg's Caudron. Might be able to finish that one up if the weather goes sour this weekend and have 6 ready for maiden flights.

Anyone else have this problem? Or is it just us poor saps living in the DC Metro Area's Do Not Fly Zone?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am fortunate to live 1 mile from the field where I fly. Turn left out of the neighborhood it's country. Turn right, it's city. Really been blessed that this area hasn't been over-run with construction like every other part of town. When I bout the house 22 years ago, I was only figuring it would be 5 years before I had to move further out.
Dusk.png

LB

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am fortunate to live 1 mile from the field where I fly. Turn left out of the neighborhood it's country. Turn right, it's city. Really been blessed that this area hasn't been over-run with construction like every other part of town. When I bout the house 22 years ago, I was only figuring it would be 5 years before I had to move further out.
View attachment 96111

LB

Ohh you need to go rip that water tower with the gremlin to really test the Dronin tune!! :p

Oh and was that someones house on fire just below the water tower with that bright orange area? Looks kind of odd shaped to be really bright lighting.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
LOL... Really can't get anything past Psyborg. Yeah, those were emergency vehicles. Took that over a year ago. Prolly ought to get some FPV gear on the TJ's Gremlin before rippin the tower. We fly the soccer fields by that tower in the winter sometimes.

Phoenix 24

I was stacking my planes for storage when I put my arrow above my bloody wonder, it got me to thinking.... What if I take the arrow and moify it a bit, and use that as the wing for the wonder. Mocking it up it looks almost like an f-16

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I finally finished a long repaint/rebuild job on my FMS P-47. A few months back, the front end exploded in flight when the firewall failed, launching the motor/prop/cowl into places unknown. Now, I have a scale diameter prop fitted and a VERY beefed up firewall installed.
IMG_1589.JPG

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
DD that P-47 paint job looks great brother. I like the nose art under the cockpit with that name too hehe.

All I managed to do lately was get a FPV camera setting video done for people who have asked what I use.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I can't wait to get home today! I might finally be able to work on my ft3d that has been left half assembled in my basement for about a month, due to junior year being a pain with constant projects, tests, etc... I finally have a few days without projects or tests to worry about. Well, I lied, I have a project due next Friday in Chemistry, but it should be easy and fun.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
DD that P-47 paint job looks great brother. I like the nose art under the cockpit with that name too hehe.

All I managed to do lately was get a FPV camera setting video done for people who have asked what I use.

Thanks man, let's just say the nose art is very fitting from the history of this particular model :D. Nice work on the video, every time I see one, I want to try FPV even more. I have the Hobbyking FPV Cub with a headtracking setup, I just need to find time to build it and set it up :p.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Projects & Sailplanes

Today (edit: yesterday) I actually did some RC stuff of my own and not merely reading about everyone else's.

I did work on the WWII project. I really need to gain some momentum on that. 2 Mock builds done. Then next one will have the dimensions I'm shooting for.

Today's Maine weather was unseasonably warm so I plugged in both chargers and charged 1 LiPo for each of my newer sailplanes, Adagio and Exclibur.
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 8.17.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 8.18.08 AM.png

Uh, fell asleep at the post while the photos were uploading. To continue, I enjoy both of these a great deal bind find they fall short of really being what I wanted in a sailplane. They both have much of what I like, good looks, sub $200 price. The Adagio slows to almost a hover and sets down very nicely. The Excalibur has no lack of power for a vertical climb right to 400.0 ft into the air. What I would really like is both of these in 1 plane. I think I will start a thread on each one so I can share my likes and dislikes of each. I might have to just make it another project way down the road to just build what I want taking aspects of each of these.

Oh and the great news is they remain RTF after the flights! Woohoo!:cool:

Last edited:

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Wow, the Excalibur is on my must have whischlist! Unfortunatelly it makes no sense to buy now because i will move soon to India. Will buy there :)

I had today 6 lipos flight time ( 6 minutes each) with my three minis.

FullSizeRender 28.jpg IMG_4371.JPG

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I picked up another 2” frame. The Atmospheric Adventures Aeolus. I mainly moved over to fit a RunCam Micro 2 and VTX03. This frame is also more rigid than the XLR-2 that I had.

Unfortunately, about 3.5 min into the maiden and after a crash, the dipole antenna got pulled out of the u.fl connector. Next time the dipole is getting hot glued onto the pod.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow, the Excalibur is on my must have whischlist!
The Excalibur is a blast to fly. Landing is quite a bit quicker than I like and it weighs about a kilo so bleeding off speed on this slick guy takes much more than I am used to. The Adagio on the other hand is only about 300g and slows down very nicely. I like them both but neither of them are all I'm wanting in a sailplane.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I finally got out to the field this weekend - for the first time in 5 weeks sadly - and ran maiden flights on four planes :applause: And even more awesome, all five planes I brought to the field flew great, including the FW-42 I'm designing for the WW2 build challenge, and all planes returned home with only one broken prop and no other repairs!!

A magical day indeed! I don't get 'em like that very often :cool:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds like you had the perfect day Rockyboy.

It was super hot today til mid afternoon at which point I only had one battery charged to bother flying. by the time they were all charged there had been a near 30 degree temp swing and a huge t storm front rolled thru. So I spent the late afternoon looking at pictures and hand carving the start of an MG 17 machine gun to stick out from the FPV cameras on the big FW 42.

So far you owe me two band aids and a cold beer

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Was not really today but yesterday.
Some peoples of my town wanted to see some of my rc planes because my grandma told them about them so I took two nice persons to the field with my messerschmitt which is also my own working aircraft right now.
Getting it to fly was rather tricky, I would usually do a wingtip throw but that wasn't working so I had to grab it behind the wing so very far behind the point of balance to do a javelin throw.
It ended up working as you can see!
Also for the first time I did a full flight without crashing it! I did run out of juice at the end however.

jaredstrees

Remaidened the repaired BW MKIII after last flights receiver brown out. Flew perfectly. Put 3 packs through her, a few through the little stick and even got the mm SE5 in the air. All came back in one piece! Great Sunday.