FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Hmm... I have always wanted some of those fly traps, they sure beat the sticky rolls. How much were they? I might just have to get some.
Also I took out my XL bloody stang yesterday and the kids in the baseball field next to me loved it lol.
I also made this

tooth.PNG

It's a giant toothpick glider and I can control it. This is just a prototype however, I plan to go much bigger for FFE this year...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Got them from Joelscarnivorousplants on amazon. He is a reputable grower of all kinds of cool plants. The ones I got were these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QB9B1Q?m=A2LY3PY2K4G4LU&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

I saw them last year but was end of season and thought it better to start them in spring with the crappy winters we have here to give them a good chance to establish themselves. they take a lot of effort to care for them specially the lighting. Here they have to wake up in the bedroom in the window then get moved in the afternoon to my back window, then get another few hours under a lamp before I set them back in the bedroom for the rest of the night.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I started working on a project I planned to do for a long time.

RC VG-33! I really like this plane but this one won't be like any of my other ones.
I plan to make a 3d printed version that can fly but also make molds so I can make one with expanding foam. Btw if you know where to find the stuff they use to make EPP or EPO planes that would be nice, im guessing they use two parts resin that foams up but I have been told that it's actually plastic pellets that you need to heat up.

woooo.jpg

jaredstrees

That looks sweet! Can't wait to see how it comes along.

Hope to finally get to fly today, been almost three weeks and I have the itch! Praying for calm winds this afternoon!

jaredstrees

Well, winds weren't calm, but flew three batteries through the das little stick anyway. Sometimes its fun to see a plane "flying" but not moving! Plus I could almost land vertically!

jaredstrees

Out of all the planes I have built or bought, the little stick remains one of my favorites. Just a pleasure to fly!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I did more work on the cockpit.
frame.jpg

I made it into a frame, however that means I will have to heat form every window exept the front one out of plastic bottles because only the front one is actually flat. I might thicken the frame a bit because it will be tricky to print.

I should probably open a thread for this plane.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I think a thread is definitely in store for this plane, make sure to let us know when it is made I'll be watching it for sure.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
With all the things 3d printing can do like the cockpit hatch details and such that allow for complex shapes I think I have an idea for making the windows. When you make your frame thicker, print two or more of them to experiment on. Instead of using soda bottle thick plastic thats needs to be super heated to form try using that 3 mil or 5 mil plastic window film people use in their windows for more winter insulation that can be shrunk with a simple hair dryer and stays clear. One kit should pretty much last a life time of cockpit windows even if you have to replace them on occasion.

You might have to print a heavier frame to support the shrinkage on the inside but a lighter more scale outside can be added for looks and painting. That way you would not have to use glues as the tension from the shrinkage will keep it in place. this would also be more scale as the "glass" would be sandwiched between the frames.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This morning at approx 2AM I finally finished my Tubby Cubby. I started it when the plans were first released, (cut out and built the fuselage), and shelved it due to other commitments and projects as well as the sudden plethora of persons having issues getting their versions to fly.

Anyway in finally cleaning up my workshop, (an annual event), I found the fuselage and quickly cut out a set of wings for it. Stripped out a model due for retirement and fitted out the Cub. Fitted the biggest wheels that I had and painted it yellow.

Around 7:30am, (paint still tacky), I put a flight battery in it and taxied out for a test flight. Doing a half throttle ground run to check ground handling the plane suddenly jumped into the air and appeared to want to stay flying. Flew a total of two separate flights even in a moderate breeze without issue. Rudder authority a little lacking but otherwise a great design ideal for those starting out. A full throttle take off achieved flight in under a metre!

Looks like a keeper! (Well for a little while anyway!).

Sorry no pics!

Have fun!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Love those STOL Tubby Cubbys! I haven't built one myself, but I flew several helping people out on the flite line at FliteFest last year. Lack of rudder authority was a common thing with those, and I recommended a couple folks go back and either add an extra length rudder or cut in the ailerons, which both seemed to help. But it's not a bad flying design even as it is - just a little slow on the turn, especially on landing approach :oops:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
That is good to note for when I build one, mine will have ailerons though. I bet that helps a lot with beginners when learning to not bang the sticks around.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Actually I cheated a little! I fitted the largest SF prop that the motor could reliably drive.
Nothing better than having "Blown" control surfaces when landing in strong crosswinds!

Additionally As it was a quick hack and glue job I cut out a flat wing in a single piece, (FB I use is 1 metre wide).

Ailerons were fitted though the flaps cut line was marked out for future use if required and the aileron servos re-positioned for use as the flap servos if needed. The outer servos fitted later if needed. (they weren't).

Have fun!

Last edited:

skymaster

Elite member
I had to do a little repair to my mighty mini mega arrow. for some reason adams foam board, once in a while it comes really crappy. so i had to fix a crack on the bottom. I was going to hot glue it , but i remember this stuff that we used on a couple of statues, its like a clear coat, dries in like in 9 minutes does not eat the foam and it gets hard like a rock. and decided to do the whole underside. it looks smooth and glassy.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
What is that called? It sounds like it’s great for the bottoms of wings and other belly landers.

Also if anyone here is interested there is going to be an air show at flite fest Ohio this year to honor veterans and active duty service men and women. There is more details here. The more people participate the more goes to helping those in serving and those who have served.