FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You need to build and fly something outta dat box!

LB!

EDIT: FYI, think I need to get a large Flyer's pizza for the Danaus frame.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Today I maidened my latest version of my 800mm KFM wing and got 2 orders almost immediately.

Staying back a little later than usual a chap arrived at the field who we had not seen before. He had a E-Flite T34 Mentor under his arm and just put it in the ground and said does anyone want a plane for Free! I was first to claim it, Thank goodness! It has a bit of minor hangar rash and a thick of dust BUT it is totally complete and even has the original receiver still fitted!

Oh well Another rebuild project - (Number 7!).

A great if unusual day!

Have fun!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow that fits perfectly Nate. How much fiddling did that take to get them curves that accurate?

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Wow that fits perfectly Nate. How much fiddling did that take to get them curves that accurate?
First try first print :)
In my defense, the design of the amp meter has lines across it. So it has a perfect pie shape on the side for me to measure the radius. And i did about 10 infill so it could bend a little. But yeah, was pretty happy with the fit.
IMG_20180610_161904.jpg IMG_20180610_164319.jpg IMG_20180610_211510.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I repaired Taz the other day and did some speed runs with him. Distance and general speed calcs to take your own guess are on the video. I met my goal of 100+ mph and didn't even have to go to 6s to do it as planned originally.

thenated0g

Mentor
Been working on learning fusion 360 and i just love it more and more as i use it. The ability to instantly pull dimensions off of you model in 2d paper mode after you have designed it is pretty awesome. I used to use inkscape and it would take forever to measure all the different lines. You had to draw a line, than move it over and click on it and look up at the measurement and than click the the tool to make a text and and than rememeber the long number and type it in. Than if you wanted 2x different measurements like inches and MM you had to click on that line again and change it to MM and than edit the text box...meh. Bonus: The paper design mode makes your crappy stickynote scribbles look amazeballs. This is maybe 30 minutes in fusion 360.
5131828682860064203.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
yeah yeah more fusion 360 stuff :)

Just a quick "live" demo showing how quick you can get your ideas down in a way that looks great for print out. Not supposed to be a tutorial but more a motivation to get you to try this free program for your next project.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
yeah yeah more fusion 360 stuff :)

Nice! Watching you go through these makes it look reasonably simple. Don't think I am ready to make the leap from Sketchup yet partly because I pretty much have it down to be able to do what I want and I am an old stick in the mud.

What screen capture software do you use to make these vids?

DamoRC

thenated0g

Mentor
My brain and sketchup dont work well. I could never figure it out.

Im using https://obsproject.com/
Its free. Its what streamers used to sent live video to youtube and twitch. Lots of tutorials online. It uses very low resources on your pc and you can do live streaming and/or just a movie file which i did here. It was like 80 megs i think to upload this to youtube and i just used my gaming headphones/mic to talk as i did it. Super simple setup.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Fusion is great, also good airfoil choice! Im going to make a FPV cruiser with with a PW51 as soon as I can get foam, the goal being to be able to chase a paramotor and flying fpv with a friend.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Finally finished editing a video from a few weeks ago.

I have been flying for over two years now and my friend for one but it was our first time flying fpv together.

Namactual

Elite member
I made a quick animation of a adhesive spray table I am going to be building...
I always have had overspray issues with the spray adhesive when trying to spray the paper. You can never use the same surface twice because the previous overspray causes the next skin to stick to the sprayed surface. You could use a temporary masking paper, but that gets very wasteful.

This is just a simple idea I had to remedy that.

Not to mention good practice with animations and video editing. This was a fun little project, if not a little overkill for what it is.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So the cloths line method is not acceptable any longer now you have done all this fancy work?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I will stick to old newspapers as a temporary table cloth which is replaced after each spraying session.

Have fun!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hmm... three posts in a row with better ideas than my way of holding the paper at arms length and spraying a solid layer of adhesive on my wrist and hand. Ya'll might be on to something here... :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Modify that table to be an open hole with cloths pins attached to thing bungy cords to hold it in the air.

Namactual

Elite member
I have tried it all. I usually do the @rockyboy option and it gets all over my arms and hands. If the wind is right, the overspray actually wraps back around and sticks to the pretty side of the skin.

The main draw to the table is I can use the same spray surface as the positive press surface to attach the foam without moving it. All without waste. I was also thinking I could put packing tape over the exposed wood areas that I could remove later when putting back in storage to keep the overspray off of the ends.

Again, it's nothing game changing. I am just trying the make the skinning process as painless as possible.