FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Spent Christmas morning building an FT-Nutball for indoor slow flying. Today did the electronics of the FT-Mini Arrow. The cheap 20Amp ESC decided to let go the magic smoke so fitted a Hobbyking 30Amp one I had spare which is a little over specced but at least working!! :)
Both need the control surfaces push rods fitting and the nutball needs an undercarriage...more piano wire that I don't have - I'll need to get them from the hobby shop on Saturday morning.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Spent Christmas morning building an FT-Nutball for indoor slow flying. Today did the electronics of the FT-Mini Arrow. The cheap 20Amp ESC decided to let go the magic smoke so fitted a Hobbyking 30Amp one I had spare which is a little over specced but at least working!! :)
Both need the control surfaces push rods fitting and the nutball needs an undercarriage...more piano wire that I don't have - I'll need to get them from the hobby shop on Saturday morning.
Couple of pictures of the planes awaiting their wire :)
IMG_20181226_191551207.jpg
IMG_20181226_191556460.jpg

IcedStorm777

Hi guys quick question, i'm building my FT legacy (founders plane). I am going to build it in the twin engine configuration and i plan to have differential thrust, do i still need a rudder servo? I would love to have an extra servo so if i can save it that would be great, thanks!

jaredstrees

No, you won’t need a rudder servo if you don’t want one. I fly a lot of planes without a rudder. My old spitfire didn’t have one. That’s about the same size plane and she flew fine. I’d probably put one in now but on a twin I think you’d be fine.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Started work on a set of plans for a b-36 / Lancaster crossover for a multipurpose plane, bomb drops, fpv, high speed, etc. If all goes well on the maiden I should be releasing a set of plans in the next week or two. Any input so far? The last two images are what I call he CHAOS images, they are a combination of all dimensions taken in the design.

Attachments

• fuselodge.PNG
    fuselodge.PNG
    534.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing.PNG
    Wing.PNG
    429.5 KB · Views: 0
  • elevator.PNG
    elevator.PNG
    376.4 KB · Views: 0
  • canopy.PNG
    canopy.PNG
    256.6 KB · Views: 0
  • fuselodge chaos.PNG
    fuselodge chaos.PNG
    632.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing chaos.PNG
    Wing chaos.PNG
    447.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Accidentally printed mini scout plans at 93%, so I built the wings and tail (all paper being removed), added a 16” half-inch balsa stick and an 1106, hope it works. It should because during testing of the landing gear (on a roughly 20foot long stretch of cement) it was hopping off the ground, so I hope it works. I’m hoping that the wind will die down tomorrow so I can maiden it, but I’m not sure if that will happen.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Started work on a set of plans for a b-38 / Lancaster crossover for a multipurpose plane, bomb drops, fpv, high speed, etc. If all goes well on the maiden I should be releasing a set of plans in the next week or two. Any input so far? The last two images are what I call he CHAOS images, they are a combination of all dimensions taken in the design.
Everything looks good to me. One question though where is your V-stab?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
froze my butt off this morning using the new bungee launcher i built for the club. nice to have all my high speed planes back in the lineup. having a bungee launcher eliminates all the fear of hand launching a high speed plane. just step on the launch bar, watch the plane fly forward, wait for the line to drop, then apply throttle. easy peasy.

our old one was in a state of disrepair...

20181222_170538.jpg

the new one is made of 1" pipe instead of 3/4", and has a doubled up front support for the launch pin.

20181222_164333.jpg

don't have any new video of the new launcher, but here is the old one in action incase you're wondering what i'm talking about.

doubt i will fly tomorrow, temps supposed to be 30 degrees @ 8am so prob not. here in tucson, that is COLD! as soon as i can though i will grab some new video.

laters,

me :cool:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Accidentally printed mini scout plans at 93%, so I built the wings and tail (all paper being removed), added a 16” half-inch balsa stick and an 1106, hope it works. It should because during testing of the landing gear (on a roughly 20foot long stretch of cement) it was hopping off the ground, so I hope it works. I’m hoping that the wind will die down tomorrow so I can maiden it, but I’m not sure if that will happen.
This one flies pretty well! I was flying in a roughly 100x200 foot area and had no trouble keeping it away from the trees. On another topic, I just bought a pair of spektrum fpv goggles (woohoo!), and now I need to order a camera for it. I’m going to get This one , anything I should know before I get it? (I’ve never done fpv, just read a fair amount about it.)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i have 2 of those wolfwhoop 200mW. just make sure u run a big enough 1S to power your whole flight, or rig up to run off balance plug on main battery (prefered).

me :cool:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Had a few more flights on the scout stick, broke the wings so I rebuilt them with a simpler shape with the same wing cord/span. Going back out in a few minutes for another flight. This thing is so much fun to fly! My goal for this next flight is to fly it underneath the trampoline, it’s just that good of a plane! It’s a lot of fun to fly it under trees, who’s lowest branch’s are only about 3 feet up, it flies fast and it flies slow.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Had a few more flights on the scout stick, broke the wings so I rebuilt them with a simpler shape with the same wing cord/span. Going back out in a few minutes for another flight. This thing is so much fun to fly! My goal for this next flight is to fly it underneath the trampoline, it’s just that good of a plane! It’s a lot of fun to fly it under trees, who’s lowest branch’s are only about 3 feet up, it flies fast and it flies slow.

THE TRAMPOLINE?
:eek:

Over 30 years ago now I did a test glide on my new "Super Turkey" from the second floor balcony of the family home. It nosed down, picked up speed and then settled into a nice, if somewhat fast, glide. I was amazed and stood there watching how well it glided until a slight puff of wind caused it to rock and turn slightly and head straight for the kids trampoline.:oops:

It hit one of the legs on a wing LE and the solid balsa wing seemed to explode on impact. From that day onwards I have never performed any flight tests at home and especially not near trampolines or anything similar!

I hope you fair better than I did with my trampoline encounter!

Have fun!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I almost made it :confused:, I got halfway underneath when a twig jumped up in front of it. Learned that this thing will fly even when it’s wings have 90 degrees of dihedral😁. I also cut out a new wing and added an extra 2 inches to the wingspan, hopefully that will slow it down even more. I think that everyone needs one of these in their hangar, it has turned into one of my favorite planes. (I will make some plans and post them here later.)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I almost made it :confused:, I got halfway underneath when a twig jumped up in front of it. Learned that this thing will fly even when it’s wings have 90 degrees of dihedral😁. I also cut out a new wing and added an extra 2 inches to the wingspan, hopefully that will slow it down even more. I think that everyone needs one of these in their hangar, it has turned into one of my favorite planes. (I will make some plans and post them here later.)
Yes the mini scout is AMAZING I once flew a white foam one in the rain!!

If you're trying to make it lighter you could get rid of the poster board and formers to save a bit of weight.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Mine is not a normal mini scout. (Actually all that’s left that is original scout is the tail, which even that is 93%) This is (was) a 22inch (now 24) span, a one-half inch square by 16inch long balsa stick for the fuse and 93% scout tail. All paper is removed from the foam, tape being used for the hinges and folds. All of this is powered by an 1106 on 2s and 2 5gram servos. An added bonus for this plane is that it takes only an hour tops to build, electronics can be added in 15 minutes. If you take my advice you’ll build one, I love it.