FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
This weekend, I went down to Helis Over Apache Pass for 2 days, and had lots of fun flying and a bit of dodging weather. One of the highlights for me was getting in the maiden flight on my Hirobo Dauphin. I've been working the conversion from nitro to electric for a few months now, and it was great to finally see it take to the air!

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Any DiscoverRC fans? Made up a Captain Donuts sticker for Steve and got the top wings on my Twisted Hobbies Revo P3.
IMG_20190405_172620.jpg IMG_20190406_105952.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I am trying to build a huge electric motor. I built a strong electromagnet by wrapping magnet wire around a soft cobalt iron core i bought that is 6 inches long. I figure this would make a very strong motor sense the size is so big. Any ideas as to how to do this? I plan to use it to build a small four wheeler/dune buggy as i think it would be strong enough at that size. I am very light and am hoping to be able to use it for recreational fun. Also is it possible to have the battery for the once build motor be able to be charged by wall outlet or solar pannels. What type of battery do you think this would work for. I plan to have the motor hooked up to a huge ESC and i will have a pedal control the ESC. Is this possible? Thanks
To answer a couple of you questions, size isn't everything when it comes to motors, while size does play a big impact on what you can do, the biggest impacts are how much you can lower the inertia of the spinning parts, so you can focus more power into making you go-kart move rather then just trying to get the motor spinning (this is relatively easy to accomplish by lowering the weight of spinning objects) another thing that will impact your performance is how close you coils are to you magnets, if they start getting too far away you performance numbers will start to decrease rapidly.
If your goal is to be able to charge a battery from a wall outlet I think the easiest battery to go with would a lead acid battery like the ones found in cars, wall outlet chargers for these batteries are available at most hardware stores.

With a bit of coding I don't think it would be that hard to get a pedal synced to an ESC.
I found a video on the internet that might help get you started.

It might be a bit more economical to get a small used 75cc 'ish 2 stroke engine (if you don't mind mixing fuel) for your go kart.

Piotrsko

Master member
On the web there are many different 100 amp +100 vdc controllers, some kits, some built, with lousy documentation but really cheap. Brushed and brushless. As cheap as $100. Approx 14 hp.

And for efficiency, the air gap between rotor and stator needs to be less than .062"

IcedStorm777

Also if i go the electric route would it be more economical to just buy an electric engine? If so what size would you reccomend? I am planning to make the frame of the go kart out of this plus my weight at about 105 pounds. What ESC size would i need for an electric motor of this size? Also would it be possible to have the brake on the go kart make the electric motor just stop in stead of having physicall brakes. The strix stratosurfer has a feature like that where when you lower the sticks to no power the motor immediatly stops. Also as well as having it be charged through a wall outlet i am hoping to have either solor panels attached to the battery or a turbine. This would be so when i am driving i am also picking up energy. AKA if i do solar pannels when i am outside i would pick up energy or if i do a turbine, as i drive the wind going by the cart would move the blades which would generate electricity. Do you think solar or turbine power would be better? Also what is the part called that transmits moving turbine blades to energy? Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-x-96-in-x-1-16-in-Thick-Aluminum-Angle-800047/204604756 frame

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Also if i go the electric route would it be more economical to just buy an electric engine? If so what size would you reccomend? I am planning to make the frame of the go kart out of this plus my weight at about 105 pounds. What ESC size would i need for an electric motor of this size? Also would it be possible to have the brake on the go kart make the electric motor just stop in stead of having physicall brakes. The strix stratosurfer has a feature like that where when you lower the sticks to no power the motor immediatly stops. Also as well as having it be charged through a wall outlet i am hoping to have either solor panels attached to the battery or a turbine. This would be so when i am driving i am also picking up energy. AKA if i do solar pannels when i am outside i would pick up energy or if i do a turbine, as i drive the wind going by the cart would move the blades which would generate electricity. Do you think solar or turbine power would be better? Also what is the part called that transmits moving turbine blades to energy? Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-x-96-in-x-1-16-in-Thick-Aluminum-Angle-800047/204604756 frame
I think it might be more economical to buy an electric motor anywhere from 1800 watts to around 2500 watts and then setup your gear ratios for torque or top speed.

If you want to gain some power while your kart is operating, solar panels would have a horrible cost to benefit ratio for your application, and I think a turbine will produce a lot of noise without a lot of power. I think the best system to go with would be a regenerative braking system which would mix your need for a way to recharge your battery as your vehicle is operating and provide a way for braking with the motor.

IcedStorm777

Sorry i probably sound really dumb as i don't know very much about this. (I can't wait tell i get high school physics cus i really REALLY need it. DANG MIDDLE SCHOOL!!)

Where could i find a motor like that? Is more watts basially more power? So 2500 would be more powerful/faster than 1800? Also what are gear ratios? I planned to have the motor facing forward backwards with the motor shaft going out the back of the go kart. Then the motor shaft would have a gear that spun a gear that is on the back wheel's axle. What is a regenerative braking system. Ok thanks!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sorry i probably sound really dumb as i don't know very much about this. (I can't wait tell i get high school physics cus i REALLY need it. DANG MIDDLE SCHOOL!!)

Where could i find a motor like that? Is more watts basially more power? So 2500 would be more powerful/faster than 1800? Also what are gear ratios? I planned to have the motor facing forward backwards with the motor shaft going out the back of the go kart. Then the motor shaft would have a gear that spun a gear that is on the back wheel's axle. What is a regenerative braking system. Ok thanks!!

I really REALLY do not know why you are wanting to follow an old concept of a single engine with drive chains and gearboxes all of which add weight when the beauty of an Electric powered vehicle can best be demonstrated with a single motor driving each wheel. The motor sizes are reduced and with a higher voltage setup, (i.e.100 Volt) the electric cable diameters can be kept to manageable dimensions. Of course there are OFC copper wires with exceptionally low loss available as well.

With such a design goal, a simple 3 or 4 wheel drive Go Kart would be easily built. You could use off the shelf components or even attempt to design your own which could be as simple or as complex as you choose.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

IcedStorm777

I really REALLY do not know why you are wanting to follow an old concept of a single engine with drive chains and gearboxes all of which add weight when the beauty of an Electric powered vehicle can best be demonstrated with a single motor driving each wheel. The motor sizes are reduced and with a higher voltage setup, (i.e.100 Volt) the electric cable diameters can be kept to manageable dimensions. Of course there are OFC copper wires with exceptionally low loss available as well.

With such a design goal, a simple 3 or 4 wheel drive Go Kart would be easily built. You could use off the shelf components or even attempt to design your own which could be as simple or as complex as you choose.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

So if a did four wheel drive what size motors should i get? Sense it is one per wheel would i only need four 500w motors? would there be four ESC's? i am hoping to make something like this just much smaller. Would the four engine setup be cheaper then this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1800W-...:FedExHomeDelivery!80908!US!-1&frcectupt=true

Also would this motor esc setup work? i am hoping to make a dune buggy/ go kart so i can go over small terrain and won't have to just stay on asphalt. Would this provide me with enough power/speed? Thank you! Whichever is cheaper and faster and more powerful between the single engine and four engine is the one i will most likely choose. Also what type/size of battery would you reccomend?

1554763568218.png

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So if a did four wheel drive what size motors should i get? Sense it is one per wheel would i only need four 500w motors? would there be four ESC's? i am hoping to make something like this just much smaller. Would the four engine setup be cheaper then this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1800W-...:FedExHomeDelivery!80908!US!-1&frcectupt=true

Also would this motor esc setup work? i am hoping to make a dune buggy/ go kart so i can go over small terrain and won't have to just stay on asphalt. Would this provide me with enough power/speed? Thank you! Whichever is cheaper and faster and more powerful between the single engine and four engine is the one i will most likely choose. Also what type/size of battery would you reccomend?

View attachment 128394
Firstly the size of the battery would be determined by the current requirement and the range you are designing it for.

The motor/s would be specified by the power required, (roughly 800W equals one horsepower), and the torque and speed requirements also. Your next requirement would be to decide the drive wheel/s and function. A single drive wheel will get you moving on firm ground 2 wheel drive will give better traction and all wheel drive will give maximum traction and control.

If going for 4 wheel drive you will need to know what the aim of the design is. Is it to be a racer, a GP vehicle or does it need a rock crawling capacity? Is it to have 2 or 4 wheel steering?

If using brushed motors then the throttle setup can be quite straight forward, but using Brushless motors they have very poor start torque and can be difficult to get moving from a stationary position, if loaded, due to the extreme start currents required.

Direct wheel drive has only a single issue and that is that the "End Thrust" of the wheel must be handled by a separate bearing assembly as the electric motors do not normally have great resistance to having the rotor pushed from the end and out of the motor! Not a difficult requirement to overcome and the parts are available off of the shelf but just be aware that you cannot just bolt a wheel on the end of a motor and expect it to last!

You need to price what is available but I would look at around 800W per axle as a start, but with a reasonably slow rotational speed, again you need to know the wheel diameter to be used and the motor RPM required is determined by the RPM of the wheels to give the desired top speed! You might even consider motors with integral gearboxes, (again available already).

Have fun!

IcedStorm777

Firstly the size of the battery would be determined by the current requirement and the range you are designing it for.

The motor/s would be specified by the power required, (roughly 800W equals one horsepower), and the torque and speed requirements also. Your next requirement would be to decide the drive wheel/s and function. A single drive wheel will get you moving on firm ground 2 wheel drive will give better traction and all wheel drive will give maximum traction and control.

If going for 4 wheel drive you will need to know what the aim of the design is. Is it to be a racer, a GP vehicle or does it need a rock crawling capacity? Is it to have 2 or 4 wheel steering?

If using brushed motors then the throttle setup can be quite straight forward, but using Brushless motors they have very poor start torque and can be difficult to get moving from a stationary position, if loaded, due to the extreme start currents required.

Direct wheel drive has only a single issue and that is that the "End Thrust" of the wheel must be handled by a separate bearing assembly as the electric motors do not normally have great resistance to having the rotor pushed from the end and out of the motor! Not a difficult requirement to overcome and the parts are available off of the shelf but just be aware that you cannot just bolt a wheel on the end of a motor and expect it to last!

You need to price what is available but I would look at around 800W per axle as a start, but with a reasonably slow rotational speed, again you need to know the wheel diameter to be used and the motor RPM required is determined by the RPM of the wheels to give the desired top speed! You might even consider motors with integral gearboxes, (again available already).

Have fun!
WOW you really know what you are doing!!

So as far as two vs four wheel drive. If i do multiple engines i would do rear wheel drive or front wheel drive and not both as the price is simply two high. Which is better? I am hoping to be able to go quite fast but as i probably won't have suspensions as that seems very complicated, i am hoping to be able to go over small terrain. I am hoping for it to be kind of like a four wheeler where you can go offroad but can also go relatively fast. I don't know much about all this so will probably ask lots of questions. If i do two of these motors:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1800W-...xHomeDelivery!80908!US!-1&frcectupt=true#rwid

combined with these wheels how fast/how powerful do you think it would be?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001THKFKI/?tag=lstir-20

Also any ideas on how to do the steering mechanism? I figured i would 3d print a pedal that would attach to the pedals that are shown in the picture of the motor. Also, i believe that one of the handles has throttle and the other has brake meaning i would just have to 3d print two pedals that attach to the handle. I would add a spring for tension on the pedals. I would also have a key that turns the whole thing on:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Golf-...930355?hash=item2a86f68933:g:OhYAAOSw5cNYfOBf

Thanks!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
WOW you really know what you are doing!!

So as far as two vs four wheel drive. If i do multiple engines i would do rear wheel drive or front wheel drive and not both as the price is simply two high. Which is better? I am hoping to be able to go quite fast but as i probably won't have suspensions as that seems very complicated, i am hoping to be able to go over small terrain. I am hoping for it to be kind of like a four wheeler where you can go offroad but can also go relatively fast. I don't know much about all this so will probably ask lots of questions. If i do two of these motors:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1800W-...xHomeDelivery!80908!US!-1&frcectupt=true#rwid

combined with these wheels how fast/how powerful do you think it would be?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001THKFKI/?tag=lstir-20

Also any ideas on how to do the steering mechanism? I figured i would 3d print a pedal that would attach to the pedals that are shown in the picture of the motor. Also, i believe that one of the handles has throttle and the other has brake meaning i would just have to 3d print two pedals that attach to the handle. I would add a spring for tension on the pedals. I would also have a key that turns the whole thing on:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Golf-...930355?hash=item2a86f68933:g:OhYAAOSw5cNYfOBf

Thanks!
OK you have supplied a bit of useful information around which I can frame some recommendations!
As your requirement is rather minimal I would revert to a single motor driving a solid rear axle! (Chain Drive or the like - plenty of bicycle parts available). 48 V is a good compromise on the voltage and the 1800W is going to make a rather powerful kart assuming you get the gearing set up properly. The current required is OK at less than 50Amps though you will need to use good quality cables.

Without suspension the live rear axle could have the side thrust bearing assemblies outboard at the wheel hub and so the motor being chain drive would be safe from damage and simple to install and maintain, (Note ensure that you enclose the drive chain or at least use a serious cover as the power us sufficient to rip a persons fingers or arms off if an accident occurs).

Without suspension the steering could be as simple or as complex as you need. Just remember that the steering point or axis will need serious support against the side thrust provided by gravity and hard landings. A source of wheel bearings from an automotive supplier would be advised. If using bicycle parts you could use the old bicycle chain and gears to make the steering connections to the tie rod, (a sort of cheap rack and pinion). Castor and camber are built into the steering or axle connection to the chassis. Toe in or out is a matter of the tie rod length!

brakes! A simple to operate disc brake system could also be sourced in bicycle parts. A single disc on the live axle and one for each of the front wheels. The choice of cable or hydraulic would be yours to make, as would the method of activation. Just one thing, you should consider a motor power disconnect which would be activated when the brakes are applied or you could damage something seriously!

For off road the larger and softer the tyres the better! The large "Balloon" tyres would provide the suspension that a simple design is missing and it would reduce chassis failure or cracking due to hard landings as well as when hitting obstacles!

Batteries! LiPos could be used to keep the weight down and a setup of series and parallel connections of standard batteries would do well but a little pricey! LiPos would give greater range Vs Weight but the cost and handling requirements could be a little daunting! A number of motor cycle batteries could suffice just as well and be easily serviced by a single car battery charger!

If you need more info please advise BUT you need to build it and so I will not do a detailed design because what I would use, (locally available), would be much different to your requirements or local availability!

Have fun!

Wildthing

Legendary member

Just a thought!

Have fun!

I like the idea of a 4 wheel drive one, 4 electric motors :D :D , one for each wheel and direct drive.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

Just a thought!

Have fun!
Why I do think this concept would be a lot better, by powering individual wheels. If Icedstorm wishes to use more as a basher and ride over rough terrain wouldn't a single motor setup with a simple chain drive have fewer points of failure. With a dual or Quad motor setup you have double or quadruple the points to solder and make connections, and you would have to get a way to mix all 4 motors together which would cause more failure points. You would also have to ensure that the motor shaft isn't loaded by adding a support bearing, unless they design motor shafts to handle the side forces from the wheel. I think it would be far simpler to get a single motor and set it up as a chain drive to remove possible points of failure. Not trying to be rude and say your idea is bad, I'm just throwing out other suggestions.

EDIT: Whoops I typed before I read through all the posts, sorry about that.